Apex J Frame drop in trigger kit and Gunsmither Tools Smithmaster

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Just finished installing the Apex Tactical J Frame duty/Carry kit in my 642.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid49.html

Used the following tool to ease the removal and installation of the rebound spring:

http://www.gunsmithertools.com/smithmaster-trigger-spring-/

I will note that my 642 was purchased used, and the prior owner mentioned that he had ArmsMerchant perform some sort of "trigger job" on the gun. Keep in mind the 642 is a DAO gun with a shrouded hammer. The DAO pull was lighter than any of my other smith revolvers, but did not "feel" as good. There was just something wrong about it. And the trigger reset was TERRIBLE, it was gritty and weak and i honestly thought an internal part was broken or installed incorrectly.

Upon recommendation from another member I order the Apex spring kit. Also while looking for a decent rebound slide removal tool I stumbled (while typing?) upon Gunsmither tools website. I purchased the smithmaster and the vicesmith from him.

Both items shipped quickly, A+ to both sellers for good service.

So I pulled the 642 apart. Looked like the factory mainspring was still there. But the rebound spring was trimmed in half, and a small ball bearing was used to take up the slack left. I pulled the rebound slide out with a pair of tweezers, so there was no tension at all on it with the trigger full forward. That would be why the trigger reset was so bad, as the rebound slide has to have tension on it.

So I swapped out the mainspring and rebound springs for the Apex springs. Also put the Apex firing pin and spring in. Followed the directions on Apex's site (a video), although i have disassembled and reassembled plenty of smith revolvers. The video was complete and would serve the 1st timer well as error free instructions, so A+ to Apex for that.

Reassembled everything and dry fired the gun a bit. Pull weight felt good, around 9lbs. Reset was much better, very positive and I had to try very hard to short cycle the gun but working the trigger finger too fast.

A big improvement, I will be ordering another kit for my model 60 and see how it does in a DA/SA J frame.

I would also like to say that the Gunsmither tools smithmaster is a "must have" tool for working on Smith revolvers. I have fought with the rebound slide amny times, and this tool makes it a 2 second job to reinstall. Wish I had found this tool many years ago. I will give the vicesmith a try when I reassemble the 64 i am polishing and let you all know how it goes.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks for the review i am ordering one for mine.

No prob, glad I was of some help!

I've installed three of these. It really is a better mouse trap. The one caveat is this... the included trigger rebound spring is a bit on the light side; expect sticky or mushy trigger return at first, especially on a new gun. I had to polish the rebound slide quite a bit on a new M-642. Also, re-installing that spring is where most folks have trouble; its not as easy as the video makes it look, if you don't have that tool.

The first two guns have been shot several hundred rounds and dry-fired close to a thousand times. Both are fine now. The third one I just did last week; the owner reports it is already smoothing up somewhat, and is about "ready".

Moral of the story... don't just throw this "kit" in your J frame, load it up, and stick it in your pocket.

Exactly. I had an already "butchered up' gun so this kit was a big improvement. I did polish the rebound slide before I put it back in. The internals of this 442 looked very good already, the cnc machine must have had a good hair day when it carved out this frame.

I plan to try another kit in m model 60, see how it compares to stock springs.

I have read that many prefer the stock rebound spring with the apex mainspring and firing pin/spring. I can say that the 60 does have a slightly more positive trigger reset but it is not far off.

I will take some pics of the cut rebound spring I found in the gun, and the ball bearing. What a joke.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom