Deer Attractant?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I admit im not an avid hunter, but do enjoy watching deer in their natural habitat. I reside in a subdivision that borders on a heavily wooded area in which numerous deer reside. It's common for me to see 10-12 deer at one time along with several nice bucks. Last weekend I watched a nice 9pt chasing a doe in the woodline behind my house. What is a good way to place deer corn in the field in an attempt to bring them closer? Should I just place it in a bucket or do you sprinkle it throughout the field? Im not trying to hunt them, only to bring them a little closer to possibly take some pics or video. Thanks.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    deer like the corn on the ground. the more you spred it out, the longer it will last. you could use a feeder, but they will have to get used to the sound of it. being that it is at your house, i would just throw it on the ground. i have been trying out the synthetic corn (flex corn) over the past could of weeks, but they seem to favor real whole corn.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Go to academy and buy a 50lb bag of corn and each morning spread a pound or two in the yard. It may take them a day or two to find it but they will.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Just make sure you spread it around. Don't put it in a pile. It will either attract the crows, and the deer wont touch it, or it if it gets wet in a pile it will go bad. Just take about a gallon bag worth and spread it where you want the deer to go. After a few days they will find it.

ICEAGE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    I've had best luck putting 8-10 piles of corn in an area thats about the side of 4 parking spaces. (empty a 50lb sack to let you know the size of the piles).

I hear a lot about spreading it around, but if it rains (heh, this is Louisiana after all) the corn can sink into the ground.

I've seen both methods used at the hunting lease, personally, we've had better results with the pile method. When its spread around it doesn't get eaten as much.

misfire1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    New Iberia
    Take a jar of peanutbutter take the top off screw it to a tree screw jar back on and then cut the bottom of of the jar. Bam instant peanut butter lick

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My mom's been trying to do the same thing. They live on the Natchez Trace and had deer in the neighbor's yard. With much effort and many sleepless nights, they show up a few nights a week. She's trimmed bushes to allow a path, arranged and re-arranged lighting, moved plants around, etc. She uses piles of corn a few feet apart to coax them to where she wants. They also like apples and acorns...

Top Bottom