Are "good" sunglasses worth it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    For those that like the coasta, have you had the oakleys before? I have about 4 pairs of oakleys and I have been considering the coasta but not sure. I had the Maui Jim's and hated them and sold them 2 weeks later. Just trying to compare the 2

Rooda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Dallas via Bunkie
    Absolutely. I have a good pair of Maui Jim's and will replace them with another pair the day they break. Costa's are good too but have not touched mine since getting the Maui Jim's.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Glass lenses by far.

Serengeti, Ray-Ban, Costa, Jim. Yes, they are well worth.

Oakley spends it money marketing. They are the worst of all the Polycarb bunch. Oakley calls ploycarbonate Plutonite® - a dumb, psudeo-science portmanteau. I've had many pair (six maybe).
    If you go polycarbonate, go Costa. Visually, their coatings are superior.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    Get yourself some Rudy's. (www.e-rudy.com) use discount code 2alpha for 30% off.

I am sponsored by them, but I bought three pair before I was sponsored. They have a lifetime warranty and will replace your lenses for free if they get scratched. You have to pay shipping. I tried a buddies once and while I was cleaning the lens I accidentally dropped the lens on the gravel. My heart stopped and I looked over and he was staring at me. He laughed and said, "Don't worry, they aren't scratched" Sure enough, they were still perfect.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing and good pair of glasses with a cheap pair is that the good ones offer UV protection. The cheap ones don't. They only tine the lenses so you don't have to squint. That squinting would normally block the UV but since you aren't squinting (because of the cheap glasses) your eyes are getting the full dose. Get the good ones and keep up with them.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I've had numerous pairs of Oakleys (dating back from the 90's when I was the only 12 year old wearing the original eyejackets), one pair of Serengetis, a few pairs of Ray Bans, and numerous other $100+ shades.

The best value I've found are used Ray Bans. Find people who don't like a certain pair, and you can get them for 1/3rd of the retail price. They look good, have glass lenses, and are fairly sturdy.

On the other hand, I've broken lots of glasses too - both nice and junkers.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I buy Native's. Oakleys and Costa's are to expensive to have the lenses replaced in my opinion. For $30 I send off my Natives and they return them with new lenses and new nose pieces. I won't buy anything else. I am hard on sunglasses and wear them anytime I step outside during the day. My original pair are 6 years old and I have sent them off many times for new lenses and they come back looking brand new (maybe they are). I just bought my second pair last week.

If your paying $30 to get your glasses replaced Your paying to much.

I have A pair of Costa Del Mar Harpoon 400 series that the lenses were speckeled while cutting with a torch that Costa replaced for $11.95 at 3 years.
    Same pair-well the new pair-were dropped 35 feet from the top of our grain bins and were once again replaced for $11.95 2 years later. Ive had these glasses for 6 years now and wont look back!
    I also had a pair of Costa Del Mar Tropic Star glasses that I broke the hinge on-cant recall how at the moment- and frames and lenses were replaced at no cost.

Ive had Bolle, RayBan, and Oakley glasses, but no more.
    I have WileyX glasses also but other than that Im Costa through and through.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I am not sure all high dollar are glass, a lot are polycarbonate. Usually high $ have metal frames which are stronger. I have had Ray Ban, Serengeti and Bolle plus many cheapos. I really like the Serengeti Divers lens. If I could get the same lens color in a cheap pair that would be fine with me.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    For those that like the coasta, have you had the oakleys before? I have about 4 pairs of oakleys and I have been considering the coasta but not sure. I had the Maui Jim's and hated them and sold them 2 weeks later. Just trying to compare the 2

I have owned numerous pairs of Oakley's. None have I been as satisfied with as I have with my Costas

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The Revo sunglass technology of these lenses absorb excess light without diminishing visual brightness. These incredible specs were designed by an optical engineer working on a NASA research project to develop special coatings for defense system satellites. Revo sunglasses use the same technology that protects the precision satellite lenses from the sun's harsh rays to protect your eyes. REVO - FTW

onelochevy

XD 45
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Slidell
    I only wear Oakleys, but thats because I have a friend that can get them 50% off. I've seen a pair of Costas that I really like and that might be my next sunglass purchase.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    I paid $200 for a pair of Maui Jims 3yrs ago. Called them last month to send them back to have the nose pieces replaced ($10) and the lenses replaced ($50). Charged me $60 and sent me back a NIB pair of shades. New frames, case and all! I was very pleased with their service!

DocRoberts

I'm a computer.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Southwest Louisiana
    I bought a pair of Oakley Juliets in 1998 before I spent 2 years in Bulgaria, then 3 years in Burma. I have smelt worse linguists in my time, but this girl had gonorrhea.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    It's more about the lens technology and more importantly the lens color than the frames, brands or customer service. Consistant light gathering ability in all low light conditions along with glare suppression in bright light is the goal and rarely found in one lens color. Research the latest advances in lenses and you'll be very impressed with Smith Optics. My eyes are over 40 years old and I ride mountain bikes. This sport really puts sunglasses to the test as we're transitioning from bright light to low light conditions conditions very rapidly. The new rose colored lenses that Smith Optics and Oakley brought to the table are amazing. They cut the glare in bright light but as we ride into the forest the lenses somehow have the ability to gather unseen light and make the trail detail seem to jump out at you. In the past we had to try and remove our sunglasses as we rode into the dark woods, which was near impossible while moving at 40 mph, but now we don't have to. Also the hydroleophobic coatings used by Smith and the higher end Oakley's repel dust, fingerprints, rain etc.. like no other lenses I've ever tried. In the Smith Optics brand the rose lens is called "Polarchromic Ignitor", can't remember what Oakley calls its rose lens. I've tried many brands of high end sunglasses over the years and the best have been the Smiths. They offer over twenty different color lenses depending on your light conditions and or your activity. I wear the "interlock" series of glasses which allow me to change lenses easily while I'm on the move.
    ...and "yes" they have lenses designed for shooters as well.

blastncast2

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Maurice, LA
    If your paying $30 to get your glasses replaced Your paying to much.

I have A pair of Costa Del Mar Harpoon 400 series that the lenses were speckeled while cutting with a torch that Costa replaced for $11.95 at 3 years.
    Same pair-well the new pair-were dropped 35 feet from the top of our grain bins and were once again replaced for $11.95 2 years later. Ive had these glasses for 6 years now and wont look back!
    I also had a pair of Costa Del Mar Tropic Star glasses that I broke the hinge on-cant recall how at the moment- and frames and lenses were replaced at no cost.

Ive had Bolle, RayBan, and Oakley glasses, but no more.
    I have WileyX glasses also but other than that Im Costa through and through.

I called costa before buying and they told me it was something like $80 or $100 to replace the lens. Same for Oakely. I guess I was lied to or you got a good deal.

skwurlking

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    Pineville, LA
    I had a super nice pair of WileyX shades, at least I thought they were nice until one of the arms just snapped in half as I was putting them on my head one day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom