Before and Current photos of shed project.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Is that floating on the concrete footings? If I did that in my backyard it would sink down to the floor with the first good rain,........

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    What did you do for the door? pics?

Haven't put them up yet. Still working on them. Found my door header had a crown in it. either have to shave it or modify my doors a little.

Is that floating on the concrete footings? If I did that in my backyard it would sink down to the floor with the first good rain,........

The skids, which are 4x6x12's butted together to make 4x6x24's are sitting on 8" concrete pillars that are burried at least 12" into the ground and are raised anywhere between 8" or 14" above the ground. We dug down until we hit hard dry dirt. I certainly hope they do not sink. :eek3:

The footings you see are from the old shed. I've actually put some of them under the shed and shimmed them to make contact with the 4x6's to provide some additional support.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Haven't put them up yet. Still working on them. Found my door header had a crown in it. either have to shave it or modify my doors a little.

The skids, which are 4x6x12's butted together to make 4x6x24's are sitting on 8" concrete pillars that are burried at least 12" into the ground and are raised anywhere between 8" or 14" above the ground. We dug down until we hit hard dry dirt. I certainly hope they do not sink. :eek3:

The footings you see are from the old shed. I've actually put some of them under the shed and shimmed them to make contact with the 4x6's to provide some additional support.

eh my back yard is a sponge, cool shed.

Ben

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Looks good. Did you add a ridge vent on the roof?

What kind of siding did you end up using?

I started an 8'x8' shed in my back yard last weekend. I really wish I had the room to do something that size.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

This guy is on to something here! You'd better have some way for hot air to get forced out of that thing other than screens at the eaves. :run:

Or there are going to be some lonely summer days for your shed.

kd5hlx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gray, La.
    It won't be long and you will wish you had something bigger . Gustav took out my old shed, a 14x26 and I built a 24x36 . Even though it has a full 12x36 room up top, I am wishing I had gone bigger.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006

What kind of siding did you end up using?

I started an 8'x8' shed in my back yard last weekend. I really wish I had the room to do something that size.

No, we didn't. I was going to put a turbine on the back side, but I didn't have it before my father and uncle finished roofing the back side. So either I'll add one or two up front or I'll do two low profile vents.

The siding is called LP Smartside. It's 3/8" thick about $25 a sheet (vs T1-11 which has gone up to $38 a sheet :eek3:.

It won't be long and you will wish you had something bigger . Gustav took out my old shed, a 14x26 and I built a 24x36 . Even though it has a full 12x36 room up top, I am wishing I had gone bigger.

I hope I don't have to go any bigger. I'll run out of land by then.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

That is a losing battle to fight.
    I had a 10x20 and 8x10 shed, both were pretty full.
    2 years ago we bought a house with a 32x48 shop and a 30x30 3 sided shed and I moved my 10x20 shed.
    They are reaching full capacity now.
    The more shed/shop space you have, the more gear/tools/junk you will have. :thumbsup:

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Like I was telling the Mrs. This would have cost $5k to $7k to have someone build it for me and will increase the property value by $10k easy. :D
    This means that you can spend b/w $3 and $5 thousand dollars making the shed into a man-cave, complete with kegorator, flat screen & card table, or some really nice new rifles.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    This means that you can spend b/w $3 and $5 thousand dollars making the shed into a man-cave, complete with kegorator, flat screen & card table, or some really nice new rifles.

Interesting, wonder if the Jägermeister dispenser is still for sale? :biglaugh:

Top Bottom