Hog hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    Hey anyone got land that need hog removal let me know I want to hunt hog and I will do it free or for a small fee for the land owner to use thir land to hunt

i hunt a couple places. i don't know of any that would allow people to hunt on it for free. i would be interested as well, if you find too many places to hunt.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I've been trying to find some hogs to up in my area.
    I would be interested in getting in on a hunt up here.

You guys may want to put you location in your profile so people will know what area you are wanting to hunt in.

yosnoopy504

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    Kenner new orlans
    I've been trying to find some hogs to up in my area.
    I would be interested in getting in on a hunt up here.

You guys may want to put you location in your profile so people will know what area you are wanting to hunt in.
    I live in Kenner I go hunting in pearl river slot but not alot of luck so

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    I'll consider it for $100/day plus cost of bait. However I would really need to think of the legal ramifications of allowing someone on my place esp. someone I don't know.

I'll see if anyone is interested at this point and go from there. Location would be Washington Parish.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    You're too far away for me so this is just an observation and opinion.

I understand the concern over lawsuits, especially with people you don't know.
    IANAL, but a liability release should work whether they are paying you or not.
    It is not total protection but should make for a strong defense.

Also, $100 a day plus bait seems high to me.
    I pay $300 a year on a hunting lease.
    Even nice clubs are $1000-$1500 a year.
    If I were to pay I wouldn't consider over $100-$300 for a one year hog only hunting lease/membership.

IMHO, hogs are a nuisance.
    They destroy crops and food plots, eat feed put out for deer, and can ruin other hunting.
    I consider killing out all or most of the hogs on someones land as helping them get rid of a problem.
    I would almost think I should charge the landowner of "pest control". :dunno:

Just thinking out loud.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    You're too far away for me so this is just an observation and opinion.

I understand the concern over lawsuits, especially with people you don't know.
    IANAL, but a liability release should work whether they are paying you or not.
    It is not total protection but should make for a strong defense.

Also, $100 a day plus bait seems high to me.
    I pay $300 a year on a hunting lease.
    Even nice clubs are $1000-$1500 a year.
    If I were to pay I wouldn't consider over $100-$300 for a one year hog only hunting lease/membership.

IMHO, hogs are a nuisance.
    They destroy crops and food plots, eat feed put out for deer, and can ruin other hunting.
    I consider killing out all or most of the hogs on someones land as helping them get rid of a problem.
    I would almost think I should charge the landowner of "pest control". :dunno:

Just thinking out loud.

+1000 Hogs ARE a nuisance, FACT not opinion. A lot of ppl are trying to take advantage of the hog over-population problem that is drawing in interested hunters. You'd think the landowners want the hogs gone... Instead, they all want to charge a shitload of money, warding off majority of the ppl looking for a place to kill hogs. This is counter-productive, and not the way to get rid of a nuisance animal that is taking over.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'll consider it for $100/day plus cost of bait. However I would really need to think of the legal ramifications of allowing someone on my place esp. someone I don't know.

I'll see if anyone is interested at this point and go from there. Location would be Washington Parish.

This is capitalism at its finest, but I've hunted in Washington Parish and near Folsom. Soon you will have no deer because of pigs and then your land will really see a decrease in interest to hunt. I wouldn't pay anything to hunt hogs, and would pay even less to hunt deer on a lease or land that had as many hogs as some of the places as Washington Parish.

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    1) trapping is more productive than random hunting.
    2) a buddy has trapped 40 last year at two different property locations
    3) I suggest joining a lease, and hunting them there.
    4) I spent several months hunting and trapping last year. Time, bait, expenses were far greater than buying pork at the store. But I admit I am a certified beginner. Not Orlando Wilson

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    There are landowners who allow removal of hogs. But it's by known competent hog hunters. Not some guy with an AR, and a spotlight.
    Ymmv

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    1) trapping is more productive than random hunting.
    2) a buddy has trapped 40 last year at two different property locations
    3) I suggest joining a lease, and hunting them there.
    4) I spent several months hunting and trapping last year. Time, bait, expenses were far greater than buying pork at the store. But I admit I am a certified beginner. Not Orlando Wilson

Your not? :eek3:

Damn it!

Last edited:

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    I have killed/trapped 44 hogs since close of deer season.

My cost for traps, bait, etc is over $2K at this time.

Capitalism at it's finest no, it's called trying to keep the population under control on my property. I have 8,000 acres (3 farms) I am working on hogs on, I spend $150/week just on bait at all of my trap and stand locations. Ya'll complain all you want, but IMO $100 is a good deal.

I have never thought about making $$ doing this just trying to help someone wanting to "shoot". I'll just keep doing what I have been doing.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have killed/trapped 44 hogs since close of deer season.

Capitalism at it's finest no, it's called trying to keep the population under control on my property. I have 8,000 acres (3 farms) I am working on hogs on, I spend $150/week just on bait at all of my trap and stand locations. Ya'll complain all you want, but IMO $100 is a good deal.

I have never thought about making $$ doing this just trying to help someone wanting to "shoot". I'll just keep doing what I have been doing.

I wasn't knocking you for wanting to make or recoup costs on your property. Quite the contrary! And after seeing the Hog-wild thread for a free hunt, you may get that dude to call you soon and beg to let him pay you more.

My contention was that there are pigs on alot of wildflife mgt. areas through out the state. And also I was asserting that hunting land is worth WAY more to deer hunters for deer than ANY for hogs.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Have you tried night hunting them with a silencer?
    I'm sure some here would be willing to come thin them out.
    No cost to you. They may even loan you a gun with a silencer if you don't have one.

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    I've tried all the bait. Plain corn works as well as anything else.

I do not believe they forage by smell. In my experience you pattern them, place bait to keep them, then hunt/place traps.

Throwing stinky stuff seems to work for buzzards and coons.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I'll consider it for $100/day plus cost of bait.

Well, you said $100 PLUS cost of bait, and these guys don't wanna use your traps. Seems to me that it wouldn't cost you anything to let someone come out and shoot a hog or two. :dunno:

But, your land doesn't matter in the big picture when it comes to hogs, since you're already taking care of them yourself. There is a lot of private land out there where the owners don't do anything about the hogs, but want to charge a lot to hunt hogs on their land... that's the BIG problem.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've tried all the bait. Plain corn works as well as anything else.

I do not believe they forage by smell. In my experience you pattern them, place bait to keep them, then hunt/place traps.

Throwing stinky stuff seems to work for buzzards and coons.

No no no! :nono: I think you're assuming something here that may not be what it seems. You are wise and all seeing, but you may need to create a certificate for yourself as a certified jumper to conclusions. ;)

I have honey holes for various things and have friends in high places. And I don't mean the orifices on my person.

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    I use lots of things for bait. I have a friend that give me table scraps from his restaurant the hogs love it, but so does everything else but it's free.

Corn works very well, Rasberry and cherry jello mix on the ground works VERY well. Corn soaked in Diesel works very well for just hogs as nothing else will eat it. A rug soaked in diesel tied to a tree will draw the hogs to rub on. Salt licks work. I use all of it.

As far as hunting them I like to bait them where they come to a bait site with a tent or house on it so you can relax and keep the bugs off this time of year and then unload on them with shotguns with #4 buckshot an no plug. I also carry a rifle that I can shoot out to 500 yds with if they come out in a different location. Rifles are good but for the most part you are going to kill 1-2 hogs like that. To be effective when a group comes out you need to kill over half the group to put a dent in them.Silencers aren't slient enough, hogs still run off afterwards.

The problem is EVERYONE wants to show up and shoot hogs. MOST people make the false assumption they can show up with a gun, bullets and walk through the woods and shoot them. That just doesn't happen on a consistent basis, they are SO smart, much smarter than a deer. You can shoot them maybe once a week but really better so once every two weeks to not make them totally nocturnal. Put too much scent in the woods and you won't see a hog during the day only at night and never at bait sites.

So anyway someone asks the normal question anyone have hogs they want to get rid of?? I have seen it for years on forums, most have no idea what they are getting into. To have someone comes out and actually kill hogs it takes bait and preparation not just I'm going to show up with a gun, bullets and beer and have fun.

If someone has better ideas, I'm open to it, but that's what I have found so far it can be fun, and I plan on having a lot of it Sat and Sun night with the full moon, but that's why posted. Instead of thanks for the offer I get for the most part "you should pay us to come shoot your hogs..." I don't think so.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom