Offshore/crew boats?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    A boat is definitly not better working conditions than offshore. That's the worse of the worste. In a boat you are stuck on a cork for days. If the rig wants you to stay at the rig you are stuck there. It may be calm or very likely it could be 6-8 ft seas. I've been working offshore for almost 23 years. I would NEVER work in a boat. But that's just me. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    I don't get up that way. I usually work between Venice and Intracoastal city.

who do you work for?

i personally prefer offshore, i go to a semi-submersible and it's as calm as standing on solid ground

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Every person that I've ever talked to who has worked the boats either loved it or hated it....

You may want to look into entry-level production jobs...

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I ran offshore crewboats for almost 6 years, I currently posses a 150 ton masters license. I now choose to work at a retail boat store. Working offshore supply boats is tough, it's tough to be away from family, tough to maintain a residence you don't see often, the work can be grueling and barely on the edge of safety. The summer months aren't to bad but it's a long cold winter in the gulf. Some of the rigs you work for treat you like dirt, they have no concept of "work smart" or "avoid double work". The deckhands have it the worst, you are a janitor in a drum. Take 65 rig hands some of who, probably had several drinks on there way to the boat, out on a 8 hour one way trip into a 6-8 ft sea on the beam and guess who cleans up after that mess.
    The only reason I can see to do it is if you are looking for a life change. If you are going to log your time, and work towards a captains license it's easy to in oilfield service. You need 720 days of sea service (I believe) to take a 100 ton captains course and test, if you work on a 24 hr boat each day counts for 1.5 days you can rack up the needed time quickly. Once you get your own captains license you have a new trade. 100 ton captains can make 80-100k a year fairly easily. Be warned I met a lot of married Captains, but VERY few happily married captains, it's a single mans job. Raising a family is difficult.
    If you want to commit and work towards getting your license it's well worth it. If you want a job as a deckhand find something else to do that involves medical or computer tech, you'll be better off in the long run. I keep my license current and always have it as a fall back measure in case the economy really tanks, if you have a license you can always get a job, the good captains are few and far between,......................
    besides being on a boat's great in case of a Zombie apocalypse,........every body knows Zombie's can't swim.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    This is Louisiana, they are everywhere.

I noticed a definite difference working along the Intracoastal and working 20 miles out. Seems the skeeters like the Intacostal area best. I worked longline boats two years and there were NO skeeters in Bay of Campeche ( which is in far south La )

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I am currently working at Weeks Island and I havn't noticed them. Go to my parents house in Gray and when the sun sets you better be inside.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I work on a dive boat, and usually have to take a crew boat from the dock to the dive boat, and back.
    Crew boats suck! If you are a deck hand you are going to be mopping sweeping cleaning clogged toilets pumping diesel greasing everything, etc... All the while working 12 hour shift. And if you aren't off in the gulf you'll be in a dock like cocodri getting eaten alive by gnats, or fresh water cities by skeeters.

Any job in the gulf but cook is better than deck hand.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I work on a dive boat, and usually have to take a crew boat from the dock to the dive boat, and back.
    Crew boats suck! If you are a deck hand you are going to be mopping sweeping cleaning clogged toilets pumping diesel greasing everything, etc... All the while working 12 hour shift. And if you aren't off in the gulf you'll be in a dock like cocodri getting eaten alive by gnats, or fresh water cities by skeeters.

Any job in the gulf but cook is better than deck hand.

My first offshore job was galley hand. Other than being pretty much dead end cleaning behind drunk cooks, it wasn't near as bad as the deck hands on the boats.

I worked a couple years for McCalls as engineer, they had nice newer boats and it was not a bad job except these jobs did not require any CG certs so the pay was crap. I don't remember the quals, but AB was not in them. I think they were if you could change oil in KTA 600 and fog a mirror you were hired.

Top Bottom