Offshore/crew boats?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Yea. Another thread :hs:

In addition to the other things I'm researching...

For curiosity sake I've been looking at jobs on crew boats, etc. I've noticed there are a number of companies in south LA. Clearly, the bottom of the line is a deckhand...or as it looks to be...a glorified maid. Anyone ever performed such a job or just works on a boat in general? Just wanted to see if anyone had anything good/bad to say about it. Slightly related, I have a coworker who used to do offshore work and is going back and has been offering me all the contact information so I can take a shot as well. I've been at my current gig for almost 4 years now. Just trying to see if there is a better paying opportunity or something with better growing potential. I figure a boat may just as good a bet with slightly less danger/better working conditions?

As for my previous thread (electrical work) I've been doing my homework there too :)

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    At your age, if you're single with no kids, offshore work will do wonders for your finances. I'd recommend working on platforms or rigs over boats. Boats suck. Working offshore, if you're willing to work and pick up an extra hitch whenever you get the chance, you'd be amazed at the money you can make. And as a little tip, the cleaner you are, the more money you make.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    In the best oilfield language I can think of

F boats, once you get an engineer, mate or captain position is cake otherwise you are well you have an idea ...........

Production if you want a set schedule with set income, exploration if you dont mind being away, overseas if you want to make killer money

Being you have an electrical background I would go service hand, plenty of Service Companies who need hands who can trouble shoot electronics and electrical issues

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    I wouldn't be too quick to blow off the boat jobs. Starting at the bottom of the ladder at any job sucks. But depending on your ability to pass the Coast Guard exams and earning sea time, in a few years you can be making a 6 figure income. And only have to work half the year to earn it.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    At your age, if you're single with no kids, offshore work will do wonders for your finances. I'd recommend working on platforms or rigs over boats. Boats suck. Working offshore, if you're willing to work and pick up an extra hitch whenever you get the chance, you'd be amazed at the money you can make. And as a little tip, the cleaner you are, the more money you make.

Yea, (and this is supposedly) the guy I know at work is supposed to be looking at 14 on/14 off rotation and from what I understand the lowest fool on the pole is supposed to clear just about $20K more a year than I make now. I can do the work I'm sure, just being completely unfamiliar with whats going on, I'm kinda uneasy to pursue it, lol! But I'd love to pay my car off way ahead of time and get my feet we in a more lucrative career, if that's what you could call it.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA

F boats, once you get an engineer, mate or captain position is cake otherwise you are well you have an idea ...........

Production if you want a set schedule with set income, exploration if you dont mind being away, overseas if you want to make killer money

Being you have an electrical background I would go service hand, plenty of Service Companies who need hands who can trouble shoot electronics and electrical issues

My friend mentioned something about the service side of things. Said it tended to be the better work. I'll have to pick his brain tomorrow.

I wouldn't be too quick to blow off the boat jobs. Starting at the bottom of the ladder at any job sucks. But depending on your ability to pass the Coast Guard exams and earning sea time, in a few years you can be making a 6 figure income. And only have to work half the year to earn it.

I actually browsed a boat companies website and read their really long and detailed description of what is expected from a deck hand. Doesn't look terribly hard. If it weren't for being on a boat in the water dare I say it seems easy. Of course, I would only consider this as a stepping stone. I'm more capable than being a boat bitch forever, LOL.

blastncast2

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Maurice, LA
    I work for an oilfield service company. I hated every minute of crew boat rides. Rough sea's, uncomfortable seats, stinch, cramped on crew change days. You definitely have to have sea legs to work on them full time on both crew boats or work boats. Check into production if you want something fairly laid back. I work on the drilling side so there is usually a little more going on. BTW they need electricians offshore too but it sounds like you want out of that field. A good site to check is rigzone for oilfield related jobs.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I work for an oilfield service company. I hated every minute of crew boat rides. Rough sea's, uncomfortable seats, stinch, cramped on crew change days. You definitely have to have sea legs to work on them full time on both crew boats or work boats. Check into production if you want something fairly laid back. I work on the drilling side so there is usually a little more going on. BTW they need electricians offshore too but it sounds like you want out of that field. A good site to check is rigzone for oilfield related jobs.

I'm not really looking to get out of the field. Granted, I'm not really 'in it'. Sure, I do 110V/240V electrical work as well as 12V, but it's all on emergency vehicles and I'm certified in nothing. Doesn't pay great and not a lot of room for growth. So that's why I'm exploring.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland

There is nothing wrong with working on boats. I have been doing it for almost 20 years. I mostly work inland and it is totally different from offshore. Some of the larger companies like Kirby inland marine have excellent pay.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    My friend mentioned something about the service side of things. Said it tended to be the better work. I'll have to pick his brain tomorrow.

I actually browsed a boat companies website and read their really long and detailed description of what is expected from a deck hand. Doesn't look terribly hard. If it weren't for being on a boat in the water dare I say it seems easy. Of course, I would only consider this as a stepping stone. I'm more capable than being a boat bitch forever, LOL.

The first step in failure is thinking you're already too good for the job. I hate guys who show up for interviews and tell me about how they've never stepped foot on a boat before but they know they would be an excellent captain for us. The real secret to becoming a great captain is to become a great deckhand. But take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm just an Office bitch.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
    - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    There is nothing wrong with working on boats. I have been doing it for almost 20 years. I mostly work inland and it is totally different from offshore. Some of the larger companies like Kirby inland marine have excellent pay.

You are the boss !!!!

hes talking about the dirt inside the trash can start up, my cousin is a Night Captain for a decent size workboat for Edison Chouest, he started right out of High School and he is now 35 years old and just got his Captain License about 2 years ago.

I hated every minute of boat rides, I cant understand why in the world people say "sea legs" more like "sea stomach" I throw up once 5 foot seas come around ........

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    The first step in failure is thinking you're already too good for the job. I hate guys who show up for interviews and tell me about how they've never stepped foot on a boat before but they know they would be an excellent captain for us. The real secret to becoming a great captain is to become a great deckhand. But take everything I day with a grain of salt. I'm just an Office bitch.

who do you work for?

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    The first step in failure is thinking you're already too good for the job. I hate guys who show up for interviews and tell me about how they've never stepped foot on a boat before but they know they would be an excellent captain for us. The real secret to becoming a great captain is to become a great deckhand. But take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm just an Office bitch.

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

Lol, it's not like that. That came across the wrong way. I'm typically pretty modest. I tell em what I know, what I don't and tell em I'm there to work hard and learn. It's worked well so far. I'm close with my current supervisor and he trusts me to my word because of the effort I have put in to take care of our work. You are correct though, you cannot be at the top without be welling acquainted with the bottom (well, as long as you don't run GM or something, lol...).

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Lol, it's not like that. That came across the wrong way. I'm typically pretty modest. I tell em what I know, what I don't and tell em I'm there to work hard and learn. It's worked well so far. I'm close with my current supervisor and he trusts me to my word because of the effort I have put in to take care of our work. You are correct though, you cannot be at the top without be welling acquainted with the bottom (well, as long as you don't run GM or something, lol...).

Their is nothing wrong with being cocky. In fact I believe it to be a necessary trait for successful Pilots (Plane or boat). The thing to say is that you believe yourself to be capable of learning to perform the job in an outstanding manner and that by proving yourself through the quality of your work, have aspirations of moving into more advanced positions down the road.

But anyway, good luck to you. I, work for an inland Company, so its a different world over here.

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

Last edited:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    You are the boss !!!!

hes talking about the dirt inside the trash can start up, my cousin is a Night Captain for a decent size workboat for Edison Chouest, he started right out of High School and he is now 35 years old and just got his Captain License about 2 years ago.

I hated every minute of boat rides, I cant understand why in the world people say "sea legs" more like "sea stomach" I throw up once 5 foot seas come around ........

There are some people that offshore boats are not for them. I believe there are more opportunities working inland boats than offshore.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom