This is Different!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    This morning I went out to check on my garden and chickens and found a somewhat surprising egg in the nest. I have eight hens and there were seven eggs in the nest. The surprise was that there was a tiny egg the size of a quail egg. I have never seen full grown chickens lay an egg this size before.

031.jpg

BTW, I usually have one white egg daily so, I guess that hen hadn't layed her egg yet. Should be there tonight when I get home.

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    That's curious looking. Doesn't even look the same as the other eggs, all the speckles on it. Are your hens in a cage or to they roam freely? I'd be curious if it wasn't another bird laying an egg in the chicken coop.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I read about some kind of bird that left it's egg's for others to care for,....I think it was a democrat bird or something, edit
    I was wrong it's a Cowbird,....

The most common North American bird that is a "nest parasite" -- lays eggs in other birds' nest -- is the brown-headed cowbird, a robin-sized songbird.
    Cowbirds developed this adaptation in order to keep up with migrating herds of buffalo (cows) over the Great Plains. Creating a nest and raising a brood take a lot of time and energy, so the cowbird enlisted the unwitting aid of other bird parents to to this for them.
    The cowbird lays its eggs in the host bird's nest and throws out existing eggs. The cobirds hatch first and are bigger that the host's chicks. But the host cannot disinguish between the cowbird chick and its own, so feeds the invader. The juvenile cowbird also kills the host's chicks sometimes.
    In some areas, cowbird-eradication efforts are under way because of nest parasitism's effect on declining species of other birds. Anonymous

Then again maybe not.......... http://www.chickenkeepingsecrets.com/chicken-eggs/unusual-chicken-eggs/

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom