Monies from Speeding Tickets and the LSP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I seem to remember a law that was passed in the last year or two that to the best of my knowledge is something along these lines. If a ticket is issued by a local cop to a speeder on an interstate and the violation was within 10 MPH of the posted limit then the money goes to the state. If it was over 10 MPH the money goes to the local municipality? Am I dreaming?

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    If you are dreaming, then we had the same dream.

I believe this was to stop towns, like Delta up here, from being speed traps.
    At one time the Village of Delta got 60%-70% of their revenue from traffic tickets.

But I never understood why they didn't apply this to other highways for towns like Waterproof on Hwy. 65. :dunno:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    So now the real question it how do we know that the money from the tickets < 10MPH is indeed getting to the correct place. Basicly where is the accoutability?

Is the books of a local municipality public record? Can I request to see the books? They have to know how many tickets they gave out and to whom otherwise how would they know when to contact the DMV and put a hold on you. They should further know how much the viloation was in excess of to set the fine. Thus they should be able to know how much of that revenue came from < 10MPH.

How would I go about getting that information.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Some are a lot worse than Delta. I wonder if the bill did any good. I also wonder if some of these town's swarthy officials have simply directed that more tickets be written over 10 mph.

The rat thieves in places like Baskin, Dodson, Georgetown, Lillie, Robeline, Woodworth and their ilk were (still are?) simply legally stealing. Some of these shanties were well above 80%. Local law enforcement from these dumps should not be allowed near the interstate. LSP should beat and arrest them if caught:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/la-speedtraps.pdf

I just called the auditors office. There has not been an audit since. Hopefully, there will be another soon.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I would think that the books would be public record to an extent, but the accountability would be from the Legislative Auditors Office.
    They are very thorough.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Actually, whitsend, looks like you were right about Delta. There is an error in the .pdf % in the second column.

Delta was #8 in 2007.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Actually, whitsend, looks like you were right about Delta. There is an error in the .pdf % in the second column.

Delta was #8 in 2007.

Yeah, if you look further down it should have been 61.xx% instead of 1.xx%.
    They were #8 by % of revenue and #6 buy money per capita.

For years they had one elected part time marshal, then someone figured out they could generate serious cash from tickets and at one time they had 3 full time marshals, 3 patrol cars, and a drug dog.
    All in a village with less than 300 people. They have always been good about not writing tickets for parish residents unless it was excessive.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    It is a common misconception that State Police gets money from traffic fines. Wrong. State Police is funded from the state General Fund, via the legislature.

State Police DOES get a minute portion of the fine money collected from inspection sticker tickets, but it isn't much. The lion's share of traffic fines goes to pay for the bloated court systems in many parishes. A $200 speeding fine is probably $50 actual fine and $150 "court costs".

I only piped up because of the "LSP" in the thread title. I totally agree that many of these smaller municipalities are out of control with their speed trap ********. And that's all I'll say about that... ;)

CoughWashingtoncoughcough

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Like I said, those kinds of tickets are just about money, not safety or right/wrong. Those tickets are called "reckless *name of offense*".
    I feel sorry for cops who have to run traffic.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    I did some more research. Apparently a town can enact a Home Rule Charter and thus circumvent RS 32:266 and continue to receive monies from speeding fines < 10 MPH. Other towns just "reduce" (read change) the citation to something other than speeding (most violators are happy if it becomes nonmoving and hence doesn't go on their record) so the funds can be kept by the local town government. This is legal theft from the state with no accountability or recourse of the local town.

http://www.theind.com/cover-story/8399-need-for-speed

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I did some more research. Apparently a town can enact a Home Rule Charter and thus circumvent RS 32:266 and continue to receive monies from speeding fines < 10 MPH. Other towns just "reduce" (read change) the citation to something other than speeding (most violators are happy if it becomes nonmoving and hence doesn't go on their record) so the funds can be kept by the local town government. This is legal theft from the state with no accountability or recourse of the local town.

http://www.theind.com/cover-story/8399-need-for-speed

When I called the auditor's office, I got a strange sense they were intelligent and professional. Maybe folks should start requesting a second audit.

Top Bottom