Opinion on Dodge - Specifically 2012 Caravan

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Any experience with the Caravan? If not what about Dodge in general?

The 2012 has the 3.6 Pentastar engine.

I am mainly doing some preliminary research before possibly buying a new vehicle. I hear some praise & some horror stories in doing some web searching. Other brands & models will make up a short list.

I like the "Sto-N-Go" but that is the main draw in my case.

Thanks in advance.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i would only get the RT with Navi.. the Pentastar engine is good, light years from the standard 3.6-3.9 crap v6s, but should be over 300 hp with respect to GM and Ford's v6s.. 6 speed auto is good for fuel mileage too... are you on a budget and need the room?

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I would avoid any Chrysler products all together. Having earned a living off of their failures, I'd never own one. If you're looking for a minivan, it's pretty tough to beat the Honda Odyssey

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    I rented one for a vacation last year. The van had approx 5000 miles on it when we got it and the 3000 miles that we put on it the transmission was slipping and slamming into gears the whole time. Check out consumer reports for how the caravan does compared to other models. After a lot of research we bought a used Toyota Sienna.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    i would only get the RT with Navi.. the Pentastar engine is good, light years from the standard 3.6-3.9 crap v6s, but should be over 300 hp with respect to GM and Ford's v6s.. 6 speed auto is good for fuel mileage too... are you on a budget and need the room?
    Russo,
    RE: On a budget & need the room.
    What attracted me to the Caravan was price & room. Price on the APV trim level is low. Of course you need to bump up about $6K to get some of the more attractive features. I have been riding in & driving vans since '68.
    I am not in a hurry to spend money. I can probably get by for another year or two. Putting a little effort into finding good mechanics pays off.
    Waiting should open me up to more options of vehicle choice.
    I am starting to pay attention to what is a problem and what has good reliability.

Ryan & Muddy,
    appreciate the info. might save me some expensive headaches

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    in that case, i would look at an Explorer with the Ecoboost engine, if you could spend more money, look at the Flex.. Chrysler is doing better since Fiat ownes them, but vans aren't the best at resale value.. the Honda Odyssey is good, but the engine is aging and you can only get the six speed auto with higher trim, which is $10k more expensive than the Grand Caravan...

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    The Caravan is a POS. I bought one at the insistence of my wife several years ago. 30000 mile powertrain warranty and 70000 miles on everything else. At 32000 miles major engine failure. At 73000 miles major A/C failure followed shortly by complete front end failure. Chrysler products were always bottom of the barrel, and are worse now than ever. Don't waste your money.

We have great luck with Toyota Sierras since then.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have owned three of them; a 92, a 98 and currently an 06 with the stow-n-go seating. they have been my wife's cars (we have three kids) and other than normal wear and tear items, I haven't had any major failures of any kind, so IMO, they are a value that is hard to beat. The first two were slightly used when I bought them and were driven to approx 130K miles each. I bought the 06 new and paid $20,500 + TTL for it. It currently has 106K miles. You may get more miles out of the Hondas and the Toyotas in the long run, but I've never been able to justify the original cost for what I'm getting out of mine.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I would avoid any Chrysler products all together. Having earned a living off of their failures, I'd never own one. If you're looking for a minivan, it's pretty tough to beat the Honda Odyssey
    This, we looked at Minivans pretty thoroughly a few years ago when we had the twins. When you add up all the features, the reliability, and especially the price, The Honda Oddessy won out. They also had the most smooth and silent ride of all we testdrove.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I have a 2011 Caravan and love it. No problems what so ever. My boss has had three of them and is looking to get another one. He usually trades them in at 150,000 miles and his 2009 is getting close.

Don't listen to ppl who have never owned one. They are great little vans and a lot cheaper than the honda.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    A friend of mine has a '12 caravan with every otion available and his wife loves it. Only complaint is that the engine is noisy.
    My wife has a '12 wrangler with the 3.6 pentastar and 5 speed, and it is definitely ages ahead of the prior offerings (except the unstoppable 4.0).
    However, chrysler minivans have AKWAYs been known for transmission failures. Maybe the new setup is different?

Top Bottom