How to register a Short Barrel Rifle in Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    1. Setup a Trust and name someone else on it (preferably a family member) - You must attach a serialized item to the trust as well.
    2. Everyone listed as a *responsible party* on a trust must submit (1) a set of fingerprints, (2) all relevant personal information, and (3) a set of photographs to the ATFonline.gov.
    3. Pay your $200
    4. Wait for approval
    5. PRINT your Form1 in PDF format when you download it following approval
    6. If anything ever happens to you, the ATF doesn't confiscate your firearms, they belong to the trust.

The ATF further defines *responsible parties* as anyone who can posses the items under the terms of the trust. *Responsible persons* does not include beneficiaries, so if you’ve listed your children (or, in my case, my anti-gun little sister) as your beneficiary in the event of your death, they don’t need to be involved with purchasing new items while you’re alive.

No CLEO signoff. -- Just notification.
    (c) Notification of chief law enforcement officer. Prior to the submission of the application to the Director, all applicants and responsible persons shall forward a completed copy of Form [1 or 4] or a completed copy of Form 5320.23, respectively, to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the applicant or responsible person is located. The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor. If the applicant is not a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer qualified under this part and is a partnership, company, association, or corporation, for purposes of this section, it is considered located at its principal office or principal place of business; if a trust, for purposes of this section, it is considered located at the primary location at which the firearm will be maintained.

Still takes the same 8-12 months for approval (on average)

Last edited:

XyX

Cars and Guns? Why not!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    1. Setup a Trust and name someone else on it (preferably a family member) - You must attach a serialized item to the trust as well.
    2. Everyone listed as a *responsible party* on a trust must submit (1) a set of fingerprints, (2) all relevant personal information, and (3) a set of photographs to the ATFonline.gov.
    3. Pay your $200
    4. Wait for approval
    5. PRINT your Form1 in PDF format when you download it following approval
    6. If anything ever happens to you, the ATF doesn't confiscate your firearms, they belong to the trust.

The ATF further defines *responsible parties* as anyone who can posses the items under the terms of the trust. *Responsible persons* does not include beneficiaries, so if you’ve listed your children (or, in my case, my anti-gun little sister) as your beneficiary in the event of your death, they don’t need to be involved with purchasing new items while you’re alive.

No CLEO signoff. -- Just notification.
    (c) Notification of chief law enforcement officer. Prior to the submission of the application to the Director, all applicants and responsible persons shall forward a completed copy of Form [1 or 4] or a completed copy of Form 5320.23, respectively, to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the applicant or responsible person is located. The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor. If the applicant is not a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer qualified under this part and is a partnership, company, association, or corporation, for purposes of this section, it is considered located at its principal office or principal place of business; if a trust, for purposes of this section, it is considered located at the primary location at which the firearm will be maintained.

Still takes the same 8-12 months for approval (on average)

I am planning to register my MPX as an SBR, and it seems as though setting up a trust is the best route. Can I get some advice on how to set one up? Do i go to notary and they'll have the forms I need, or do I need to seek out a lawyer to get it done?

Also on step 2, where do you submit those items on ATFonline.gov?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I am planning to register my MPX as an SBR, and it seems as though setting up a trust is the best route. Can I get some advice on how to set one up? Do i go to notary and they'll have the forms I need, or do I need to seek out a lawyer to get it done?

Also on step 2, where do you submit those items on ATFonline.gov?

We have a few attorneys on here that can get you set up.

Kenny in New Orleans can also do the fingerprints.
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/member.php?25697-meplatgroup

Or Joseph in Baton Rouge
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/member.php?22086-JCcypress

Or Terry in New Orleans
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/member.php?1664-Mouthpiece

gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    Anyone know where to check form 1 status? I can't find the login screen anymore.

XyX

Cars and Guns? Why not!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So I sent my paperwork off this past Tuesday and it was delivered to the PO box Thursday. I wake up this morning to the 200 charge for the tax stamp, does that mean they just took payment and it'll be months till approval?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    So I sent my paperwork off this past Tuesday and it was delivered to the PO box Thursday. I wake up this morning to the 200 charge for the tax stamp, does that mean they just took payment and it'll be months till approval?

Yep. They're really good at taking money, it's the rest they have the sloths work on. At this point I'd guess 7-8 months, best bet is just to forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom