College Aid (+!!!)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Attended the Dutchtown High School awards ceremony last night and I was blown away by the magnitude of the scholarships and financial aid packages handed out! The total $$$ in financial aid announced for 2012 DHS graduating seniors was over $3 MILLION ! The senior class has about 400 students; about half of those received some sort of recognition or award last night. My grandson was among those, and he did get a couple of (relatively tiny) scholarships -- but those will certainly come in really handy when he starts college this fall.

I guess one obvious point is that when someone says "there's just no financial aid available for my kid", they (or their kid) probably just have not put any effort into it.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    It is out there, you just have to work for it. If it had not been for the TOPS Program there is no way my family could have afforded college. Thanks to my parents pushing me, I was able to be the first one in my family with a college degree.

Then I pissed it all away and became a cop!

espresso

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Dutchtown La.
    D-Town is a great school my son is a So there now. They do a good job of helping parents/kids find scholarships and schools to fit their particular field.
    They have dominated a lot of the sports in that area as well as being a pipeline for Ala football unfortunately.:curse:

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    TOPS was a huge help for me. I worked at least 20 hours a week during school and more when it was out, and college was still hard to afford.

Congrats to your grandson. He's going to LSU, right? :D

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    +1. Tops, scholarships, 20+ hours a week, living with Mom, and I still managed to rack up 10k in loans.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I think I had well over six figures in "scholarships" when I graduated high school. . . but a lot of that was "Oh here's $20k/year to come to our school, the bill will now only be $25k/yr instead of $45k/yr."

:D

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    And for those that who can not get scholarships or grant can do like I did. I worked at jobs in which I made little more than minimum wage and went through a trade school. Once I finished that course I got a better paying job and used that extra income to put me through community college. That landed me a higher paying job that I have today. And if I so choose to I can now go back to school to further my education to a bachelors degree (up from a vo-tech certificate and associates degree) in a field of study that will advance me at my current job.

There's opportunity out there other than hand outs (good and bad kind) and student loans.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My highschool class of about 39 students earned a total of about 4 million in scholarships and aid. It's out there alright.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    It's definitely there, my girlfriend has effectively a free ride through SELU with me because of tops and other academic scholarships (she's really smart lol). It's also unfortunate.

Reason: with all the government subsidies and government secured loans, schools don't have to compete, so they can charge guys like me whatever the hell they want and they Know people will pay.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    We are constantly informed of the failures of education on Louisiana. What you witnessed last night is the norm for most of our high school graduating classes across the state. Perhaps that news is not as newsworthy. it is nice to be able to celebrate a success on our Forum. Thank you for posting and congratulations!

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    GE, that's a good point. Lately, living in Baton Rouge, I've been focused on how poorly many of the public schools here are performing. But my wife and I are products of the public school system on the Northshore. There's many great public schools in the state, and LA really does get a bad rap.

Personally, I think parental influence is the most important part of education, and many of the inner city schools just don't have involved parents.

It's great news to hear stories like this. We'll probably be moving to the DHS area soon just for the schools.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Attended the Dutchtown High School awards ceremony last night and I was blown away by the magnitude of the scholarships and financial aid packages handed out! The total $$$ in financial aid announced for 2012 DHS graduating seniors was over $3 MILLION ! The senior class has about 400 students; about half of those received some sort of recognition or award last night. My grandson was among those, and he did get a couple of (relatively tiny) scholarships -- but those will certainly come in really handy when he starts college this fall.

I guess one obvious point is that when someone says "there's just no financial aid available for my kid", they (or their kid) probably just have not put any effort into it.

I agree. LSUS offered me $1500 a semester (that about covers classes minus books) + housing allowance for 4 years (I only used 5 semesters of it), and I didn't even go to highschool here.

Really wishing I had been eligible for TOPS, but my living in another state prevented that.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It is out there, you just have to work for it. If it had not been for the TOPS Program there is no way my family could have afforded college. Thanks to my parents pushing me, I was able to be the first one in my family with a college degree.

Then I pissed it all away and became a cop!

Congratulations! Same here not counting grandparents or further separation, great feeling!

Well, except I'm not in LE.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am questioning college as an advantage for future financial success (unless you are specialized, eg MD's, Eng., et.).

Maybe it's just me but I see intelligence levels in college graduates declining across the board, while indoctrination into stupidity is at an all time high!

You new age college guys better know how to at least drive a nail, do basic electrical wiring, run some plumbing, or be able to fix something when you leave there, cause 4 years of sociology, business, or general studies may only get you top spot at the local restaruant if you can't.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I am questioning college as an advantage for future financial success (unless you are specialized, eg MD's, Eng., et.).

Maybe it's just me but I see intelligence levels in college graduates declining across the board, while indoctrination into stupidity is at an all time high!

You new age college guys better know how to at least drive a nail, do basic electrical wiring, run some plumbing, or be able to fix something when you leave there, cause 4 years of sociology, business, or general studies may only get you top spot at the local restaruant if you can't.

I graduated with my BSN and walked into a sustainable career that pays enough for me to accomplish what I want. However, my ability to wrench on my own cars, build simple things, etc. has been invaluable! There is more to being able to take care of yourself than a college degree and a paycheck. I see co-workers every day paying for things out of ignorance that they could handle themselves with ease.

I am sure I will do the same thing when I have a house built. I'm ashamed to say, I know little of building a house, and don't want to make mine the "project I learned on".

Anyway, my former roommate's girlfriend has a Bachelors in graphic design. She has been a waiter for all of her working life.

A college degree is worthless if you can't leverage it for a job, and I'm with you. I never understood the pursuit of a degree that couldn't be used in such a way. Further, I don't think college attendance has one bit to do with "intelligence".

I will say, though, that the only indoctrination I received in college was that it was plainly obvious that our professors were Christian and that they did subtly try to re-enforce their beliefs, and those of the other Christians in the room. Always a BIT below the threshold of stepping on the toes of "Captive audience" etc. but still there as an undercurrent, nonetheless.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Attended the Dutchtown High School awards ceremony last night and I was blown away by the magnitude of the scholarships and financial aid packages handed out! The total $$$ in financial aid announced for 2012 DHS graduating seniors was over $3 MILLION !

Let's not jump to any conclusions.....

Most of that $3 million was probably included in the Collins kid's signing bonus with Alabama.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Let's not jump to any conclusions.....

Most of that $3 million was probably included in the Collins kid's signing bonus with Alabama.

Good point. We had a guy that went to Westpoint (who will accept most intelligent people who want to become military officers) on a full ride. There's almost no such thing as going to Westpoint without a full ride anyway seeing as it requires on-campus housing and you're commiting to service unless you drop out. Anyhow, point is there's six figures alone.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...questioning college as an advantage for future financial success (unless you are specialized, eg MD's, Eng., et.)... better know how to at least drive a nail...

+1 !!! I was lucky to grow up on a farm with a dad who really hated to pay someone else to do anything he thought he should be able to do, and even as a little kid I was expected to help when we built/maintained a house or barn, repaired machinery and vehicles, cared for livestock, etc. We had a well-equipped workshop which I was taught to use (safely!), and those manual trade skills have served me well all my life.

As for the real value of a college degree today, I have to agree. Back in the late '60s when I started at Southeastern LA College my tuition was (I think) about $100 per semester, books were available for cheap rental, and the state even provided bus transportation to school. I lived at home, worked part time, went to school full-time and graduated with a BS four years later. I think my final semester tuition was still less than $200. I was one of the first to sign up for Army ROTC, which provided a monthly stipend of $50 and a guaranteed job upon graduation. No student loans -- never even thought about borrowing money for that. Later, my wife and I drummed into our two daughters the importance of education and getting into a good field -- both are in medical fields and quite successful. They worked hard at school and part-time jobs, and we helped get them thru advanced degrees with no debt. Now I'm hoping to help my grandson do the same.

And I have to credit the Livingston Parish school system for providing my kids with a good education and foundation for advanced learning! And Ascension Parish for doing the same for my grandson.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom