What do you "own"?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You buy some land. Either it does, or does not come with mineral rights.

I understand that concept.

However, what about the air?

Do you "own" stray radio-waves/signals? If you want to build a Direct TV receiver, and do with those waves what you want, shouldn't this be legal?

What about air-traffic. Obviously you cannot launch a missile at a 747 at 30,000 feet and say you were defending anything, but what about if a helicopter pilot is hovering right off your porch? Is this trespassing? Where is the line legally drawn regarding airspace over your property. Can I create a hover-craft that flies 1' above the ground and drive all over your lawn with impunity?

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Anything that flies is controlled by the FAA. There are federal laws that limit the altitude that aircraft can operate. To the best of my recollection it's 1000 feet AGL (above Ground Level) or above the highest structure when flying over populated areas. 2000 feet AGL in heavily populated areas and 500' AGL for all other areas not inhabited and without structures.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Texas has or had air rights, don't think I've seen that in La. If you don't finish your law degree b4 you buy be dam sure to use a lawyer. I have done land contracts in Ohio , La, and Tx...this ( La ) is way the most complicated.

Shouldn't you be giving some enamas or something ??

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Texas has or had air rights, don't think I've seen that in La. If you don't finish your law degree b4 you buy be dam sure to use a lawyer. I have done land contracts in Ohio , La, and Tx...this ( La ) is way the most complicated.

Shouldn't you be giving some enamas or something ??
    I only work a few days out of the week. I was at the gym while you were thinking this reply up.

Anyway, yeah, Hunh Bruh's cert. not withstanding, I will not do my own lawyering when buying land.

My main question is as relates to radiowaves (Direct TV, etc.) and low flying aircraft (unmanned), considering that LE and the military are going more and more for unmanned surveillance type stuff. First it will probably be excused as some sort of "topographical study" type crap, but I was just curious, if it is still legal to own my M1014 in 10-15 years, what the legal rights would be if I had an ND in my lawn (outside city limits) and accidentally hit a Google Earth bird flying low.

Basically one of those "I have nothing better to dwell on right now" type questions.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Air is heavy. Multiply 14.7 pounds per square inch by how many square inches of land you own. It will be astronomical. Then, try putting an ad in the classifieds and see if you can sell some of it. Don't worry about selling it all if you can, it will replace itself instantly. Just share 10% of the profits with me.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Landlocked properties have a legal right to access via road the shortest distance or any other way the property owner it cuts through wants it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Landlocked properties have a legal right to access via road the shortest distance or any other way the property owner it cuts through wants it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats how it worked for me on two occassions, and it went by the fact that there was an established ROW before the bitchin started. Both times we kept the original Easement ( ROW )

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    My brother is a captain with Jet Blue. Several weeks ago he hit a goose taking off out of NY. This was the result. He said it sounded like a shotgun went off in the cockpit. He also said the only air space that is restricted is Military. When it is "hot" they must fly around it.
    goose.jpg

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Air is heavy. Multiply 14.7 pounds per square inch by how many square inches of land you own. It will be astronomical. Then, try putting an ad in the classifieds and see if you can sell some of it. Don't worry about selling it all if you can, it will replace itself instantly. Just share 10% of the profits with me.

No.... try 0.075lb/ft^3 @ STP which = 4.34027e-5lb/in^3

Last edited:

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    As to the OT, I know that DTV pirating is frowned upon, and can get you some jail time. I know of someone who owned/ran a website/forums on how to hack the receivers years back, he made a lot of quick money, but earned a federally paid for vacation. He was out there making available the tools, knowledge, and networking on how to crack the stuff, so to DTV, he was a sizable target. As far as how/if they catch people who just receive the signal, I do not know.

Top Bottom