First diesel: '05 F250 Crew Cab

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P7M8

"IE" Chantilly Import
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Metro New Orleans Area
    I recently purchased an '05 F250 6.0L PSD. Does anyone know of a good diesel mechanic in the Metairie area who can give me a little guidance on it? It has some aftermarket mods. I just need to know what's there and how to maintain it.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Call 1-800-330-5584 on Saturdays between 9-10 AM. It is a call in automotive talk show and they are really good. Just ask them anything about any make, etc., and they will give you some good pointers. It's a Beaumont, Texas show but they love to get calls from out of area locations.

These guys are good.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    Call 1-800-330-5584 on Saturdays between 9-10 AM. It is a call in automotive talk show and they are really good. Just ask them anything about any make, etc., and they will give you some good pointers. It's a Beaumont, Texas show but they love to get calls from out of area locations.

These guys are good.

i know a guy locally that specializes in the 6.0 diesel engines.. he's a straight shooting no BS, "get it done" kind of guy... him and his wife work together and many oilfield businesses from Morgan City, Houma, Thibodaux, Larose, etc send him their company vehicles for maintanence....

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Call Frankie at full throttle racing and offload in Kenner. He specializes in the 6.0 ford diesels.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Some expense stuff happens to 6.0, lets hope yours has had the stuff done. How many miles on it?

I worked for Ford in 2005. Noone wanted the 6.0's, and I heard nothing but horror stories about them from oilfield workers. When did they fix them/did they ever achieve the reliability status of the 7.3?

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    beat the head gasket problem, buy and install head studs. Order an aftermarket EGR system, and get ready to get some new injectors.

My brother ought an 06 King Ranch the other day, I wanted to bash him over the head, and I LOVE my Fords.

P7M8

"IE" Chantilly Import
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Metro New Orleans Area
    Thanks for the info. It has the EGR delete, coolant filtration and after market exhaust. Dealership went and cut the pipe to install a catalytic converter before the sale. :mad:

Don't know what else has been done but it runs really good.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I worked for Ford in 2005. Noone wanted the 6.0's, and I heard nothing but horror stories about them from oilfield workers. When did they fix them/did they ever achieve the reliability status of the 7.3?
    This. Companies have been put out of business because of the 6.0. The Powerstroke forum for this motor is like a support group talking each other into not sueing thier beloved ford everyday.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    I had a freind in highschool who got a diesel truck and didn't know why it was so hard to start, I showed him the glow plug light and he was good to go. And he had the truck for 3 months before he told anyone about the "problem"!!!

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Most any mechanic that is not just out to get your $$ will tell you to get rid of the 6.0 while you are ahead or fork over the serious $$ for upgrades ahead of time ti diffuse the time bomb.
    FOrd manual: 6.0: Head issue: remove cab and collect $4k before any actual work begins.
    I do know a couple that are still ticking, but know of many that spent a fortune and got rid of them.
    If it has EVER had ANY performance upgrades done, been driven hard, etc, bail out NOW or keep $8k in backup at all times and wait for it to die. Or, as suggested above, deal with the head studs and egr now while you can drive it into the shop.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You don't actually need to remove the whole cab to do the job, it jsut makes one part of the job easier, nevermind the fact that you JUST REMOVED THE DAMN CAB. Lifting the cab up about 6 inches is all that's necessary. It's not easy by any means, but it's gonna get done one way or another.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    beat the head gasket problem, buy and install head studs. Order an aftermarket EGR system, and get ready to get some new injectors.

My brother ought an 06 King Ranch the other day, I wanted to bash him over the head, and I LOVE my Fords.

Yep that's it. Ford will put the same crap back in the heads, got to get some ARP studs and be done with it.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    This. Companies have been put out of business because of the 6.0. The Powerstroke forum for this motor is like a support group talking each other into not sueing thier beloved ford everyday.

Yeah, one guy told me something like 1/4 of theirs crapped the bed a few months after they bought the new fleet of 'em or something. Injectors.

This is one instance where I would much rather buy the 7.3L and get the older truck with a few more miles maybe. The 7.3L had a reputation as a brick shithouse.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I am a Ford guy through and through - yet this is another reason I am disappointed in Ford. 7.3's were solid engines AND you could still get a MANUAL unlike the current model (unless you live in South America). Other than the current Mustangs and maybe the Raptors, I see NOTHING in Ford's current lineup I like and am actually looking at my first Jeep (although I hoped my first Italian car would be Ferrari)

Top Bottom