Listing your teen under your auto insurance.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Had a phone conversation with my local agent's asst today, she tiptoed about "a what if" that I posed to her.
    If anyone can tell me if I am incorrect, please correct me; as this makes NO sense.
    The question I asked her:
    "If my wife and I are listed as the primary drivers of our two vehicles, and anyone driving them, we are covered, then why do I have to list my 16 yr old?"
    Well sir, its liability if he gets in an accident...
    "he's a minor, I'm liable either way..."
    That would be correct sir....
    "and anyone driving my vehicle is covered, correct."
    Yes sir..
    "so why do Imhave to list my son?"
    It's the law in the state of La...sir

So why then, other than to jack up my annual premiums, should I list my 16 yr old under my auto insurance policy?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Had a phone conversation with my local agent's asst today, she tiptoed about "a what if" that I posed to her.
    If anyone can tell me if I am incorrect, please correct me; as this makes NO sense.
    The question I asked her:
    "If my wife and I are listed as the primary drivers of our two vehicles, and anyone driving them, we are covered, then why do I have to list my 16 yr old?"
    Well sir, its liability if he gets in an accident...
    "he's a minor, I'm liable either way..."
    That would be correct sir....
    "and anyone driving my vehicle is covered, correct."
    Yes sir..
    "so why do Imhave to list my son?"
    It's the law in the state of La...sir

So why then, other than to jack up my annual premiums, should I list my 16 yr old under my auto insurance policy?

Because LA is proud of being the #1 to #5 (depending on your carrier) most expensive state to insure a vehicle in. It probably is the law that all regular drivers must be listed. Makes sense.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    You are confusing liability insurance with collision/comprehensive coverage. You would be covered for repairs to another vehicle and injuries. If you have a dependent driver, that was not listed on the policy, and subsequently involved in a wreck, the insurance company can deny claims for your repairs...failure to disclose. I doubt it would happen in the first instance, but you will see a huge increase in your premiums or be dropped.
    Why do you have to list your 16 year old? It is law.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I don't know about the law, but they know that your kid is going to drive your vehicle, so they will make you pay for the coverage.

I think you could specifically exclude him if you really don't want to pay.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Because LA is proud of being the #1 to #5 (depending on your carrier) most expensive state to insure a vehicle in. It probably is the law that all regular drivers must be listed. Makes sense.

Having lived elsewhere with the same current insurer, I can verify it is required elsewhere too.

With 16 years olds, I think you have two options:
    1. Find an old car that they like and needs work they can do or help do. Buy it when they are like 12 or 13 and start working on it. Then at 16 they will be so in love with it that they will take few chances in it and do a better job of keeping it out of harms way

2. Find something cheap, small, with big brakes, big tires and absolutely no engine to speak off.

Those are the only two ways I have seen a 16 year old make it to 21 without a insurance claim.

High insurance in this state is blamed on a lot of things but ultimately it is the low minimum coverage needed here which then gives the low-life ambulance chasers more window of opportunity.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I know my insurance made me list my then girlfriend bc she lived in the same house, which raised my premium bc she was probably 20 at the time. They said I had to list anyone in the household due to law, and if I didn't either I would have to exclude them from the policy. If not, they would not be covered in an accident. She is my wife now so I don't mind her being on my policy.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Appreciate all the feedback. Just was shocked at the increase in premiums when he would be added on. And that's with 3.8 GPA, having attended a Defensive Driving Course, and not listed as the primary driver of a vehicle.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Having lived elsewhere with the same current insurer, I can verify it is required elsewhere too.

1. Find an old car that they like and needs work they can do or help do. Buy it when they are like 12 or 13 and start working on it. Then at 16 they will be so in love with it that they will take few chances in it and do a better job of keeping it out of harms way

2. Find something cheap, small, with big brakes, big tires and absolutely no engine to speak off.

Those are the only two ways I have seen a 16 year old make it to 21 without a insurance claim.

High insurance in this state is blamed on a lot of things but ultimately it is the low minimum coverage needed here which then gives the low-life ambulance chasers more window of opportunity.

I have another method. Make them pay cash (depending on size) rather than make the claim. I got in a fender bender at 20 and just paid cash to the other driver.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

I don't think there is any way to insure that you won't hit 21 without a wreck. My first one was some dumb Mexican pulling out in front of me and stopping in the middle of a 4-lane during rush-hour (he gave up on trying to reach the turn-lane after running his stop-sign and darting out into traffic. I tore his car UP! with my P71 interceptor, his **** was towed, I drove mine home :) lmao! Nothing would have kept that wreck from happening except him learning how to drive in America. Didn't happen. I guess add "not living 15 minutes from Mexico" to your list, lol!

As to a performance car, everyone I know has wrecked their car at some point. It's part of learning. The important thing is to learn from it and not act a fool where others are in danger. Make it a 1-man learning experience (mine involved a 1995 LT1 F-body and a golf-course fence when I was 19. I learned: do NOT EVER accelerate out of a corner aggressively in an automatic--they WILL break the rear-end loose with a surprise downshift when you least expect it, and you won't get it back because getting off the gas will unsettle it just as much when the rear-suspension "goes all floppy" on the upshift that is sure to follow. However, you are likely just to spin to the inside of the corner after you unload the rear-end, which is better than what I did, trying to drive-through it and over-corrected into a fence :zombie:. Know your road conditions. Know the condition of your tires. It has not been a problem since, and have moved on to bigger, better things.) A car with big tires and big brakes is just as likely to find the guardrail. That equates to a handling car, and I doubt you are going to put a kid in a car that's expensive enough to bail him out if he gets in trouble for his first car. Most older cars do NOT have good "nannies" that are going to correct a slightly impulsive corner entry/exit to any good effect.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have another method. Make them pay cash (depending on size) rather than make the claim. I got in a fender bender at 20 and just paid cash to the other driver.

I gave a chic the option to do that once when she ran into the back of my car while I was stopped behind a driver who wouldn't get it in gear and go at a green-light.
    She didn't within 2 months, so I used her insurance company IGH, I think it was, and they payed promptly.

Another occasion when a guy ran into my restomod 5.0 at a gas station on the first road-trip ever in it, Progressive refused to pay the claim even though I was parked and pumping fuel when he hit me. They claimed private property. He paid out of pocket and was a stand-up guy in the end. Screw Progressive. This was in TX, btw.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Many companies in LA sell a household liability policy. This means that any household members are going to be covered driving the listed vehicles. If they get an accident the insurance company is on the hook for the face value of the policy (15K plus up to 1 million, etc.). They charge premiums based on many factors- type of vehicle, garaging location, driving history, age, sex, etc. Age is a big factor. Lets face it, your 16 year old is not as good of a driver as you are in most cases. They also drive more, drive at more dangerous times and situations (at school, around other inexperienced drivers, etc), are more likely to drive drunk and make other poor judgement decisions. So, is it fair to charge people that don't have teen drivers the same rate as you? Nope. So they insist on you listing all the drivers. They run DMV searches periodically to search for new drivers. If you have an accident where a kid was driving that was undisclosed you could be non-renewed even. It could even be considered fraud to not disclose that you have a teen driver though most companies won't take that path...

A few companies are going to policies that list the household drivers exclusively. If you haven't disclosed the driver to the insurance company then they aren't covered. Period. (IIRC Progressive has done this). I think its great, personally. Your auto loan company is not happy about these on the other hand (you could total the car and not have coverage).

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    A few companies are going to policies that list the household drivers exclusively. If you haven't disclosed the driver to the insurance company then they aren't covered. Period. (IIRC Progressive has done this). I think its great, personally. Your auto loan company is not happy about these on the other hand (you could total the car and not have coverage).

Yeah that would be a unique policy.

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    Here's some advice you didn't ask for, but I provide for free when the mood strikes... plus you'll probably ask sooner or later.

The perfect first vehicle is always a 1980's Volvo 240 series... dirt cheap, last forever, just enough power not to be unsafe, every junkyard has 20 of them for parts, safety standards ahead of their time, engine is bullet-proof, even the wagon's get 20mpg... and very good on insurance because nobody will steal them. You cannot go wrong. I'm a big fan of the wagon, but 2dr has a very retro-sexy look if it's done right.

Here you go, you can thank me in a few years... bonus manual tranny for learning a clutch:
    http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/2896530605.html

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Here's some advice you didn't ask for, but I provide for free when the mood strikes... plus you'll probably ask sooner or later.

The perfect first vehicle is always a 1980's Volvo 240 series... dirt cheap, last forever, just enough power not to be unsafe, every junkyard has 20 of them for parts, safety standards ahead of their time, engine is bullet-proof, even the wagon's get 20mpg... and very good on insurance because nobody will steal them. You cannot go wrong. I'm a big fan of the wagon, but 2dr has a very retro-sexy look if it's done right.

Here you go, you can thank me in a few years... bonus manual tranny for learning a clutch:
    http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/2896530605.html

My first car was a P71 Interceptor. It has all of those similar traits you outlined, along with the ability to be bought cheap as police departments discard them. Sexy and retro it is not, but with a set of Dubs...:naughty:
    (I drove one before it became a popular thug car)

If you have raised a kid with some restraint and self-control who has an interest in such things, the '98-2002 LS1 F-body has plenty of power with decent handling to entertain them until they can afford something nicer on their own.

Last edited:

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    I could have so easily predicted you riding in a douche mobile 'on dubs before it was cool' as easily as I knew the sun would come up.

Thank you for being honest and admitting it. I'm going to sleep with a smile on my face.

I might dream about shake and bake.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I could have so easily predicted you riding in a douche mobile 'on dubs before it was cool' as easily as I knew the sun would come up.

Thank you for being honest and admitting it. I'm going to sleep with a smile on my face.

I might dream about shake and bake.

The dubs was a joke. It was a stock P71 with the addition of a 5.4L in the place of the 4.6L that used to live there on OEM ford rims (Mags, not the steelies). :rolleyes:

It is actually one of my favorite past rides: Ran on 87 octane, had a large gas-tank, felt solid at 80, and handled neutrally in corners, if with a bit of body-roll, and very predictable, and comfortable room for 4 adults. It served me well, and demolished one Honda (their fault) during my brief ownership of it.

What was your first ride?

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My dad had a 78 White LTD. On the rare occasions I got to drive it when I first started driving it was fun to watch everyone on I10 get out the left lane to let the 'police car' pass.
    My first was an 85 Ranger v6 longbed with a camper cover. That was a great truck....

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    My dad had a 78 White LTD. On the rare occasions I got to drive it when I first started driving it was fun to watch everyone on I10 get out the left lane to let the 'police car' pass.
    My first was an 85 Ranger v6 longbed with a camper cover. That was a great truck....

Haha, same here. The K-15 just made them move all the quicker when I blasted 'em with it if they had a "fuzz buster".

My dad always had old police cars because he would tear a car or two up every year or so he drove so much. Needed something with decent power, a solid suspension, and a good spare parts pool that wasn't too expensive. Hence my having a "douche mobile" as Hunh Bruh put it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom