Math Problem! Any Takers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you had a raffle; and only 300 tickets were going to be sold total. And each ticket had 12 chances to win; what are the odds of winning with 1 ticket, and what is the equation to get your answer?

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    If your name is drawn for one prize, is your raffle ticket thrown away or does it go back into the pool for the remaining 11 prizes?

I'm a math nerd.

Last edited:

jemayeux

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    1 in 300

each ticket has 12 chances out of 3600 or 1 in 300.

there are a total of 3600 (12x300) numbers available, each ticket has 12 numbers so the odds are 1 in 300 if they only call out one number, but if they call out 12 numbers then it would still be 1 in 300.

been a while since i took statistics, but this would be my answer.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    What is the parameter for the win? A random number between 1-100? The powerball number on Saturdays? If none of those and you say that there is only one ticket that holds a win. then you have a 1 in 300 chance of success. Not enough data provided.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    What is the parameter for the win? A random number between 1-100? The powerball number on Saturdays? If none of those and you say that there is only one ticket that holds a win. then you have a 1 in 300 chance of success. Not enough data provided.

It's a raffle, a drawn ticket wins...parameter is dumb luck.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

300 stubs to choose from, random single draw; 1st winner goes back in the barrel with the other 299. The 2nd of the 12 items is then drawn; and the process continues until all items are gone.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    How many prizes are left shouldn't matter, just the number of tickets. The case you are referring to would happen if tickets were thrown out after being drawn.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    How many prizes are left shouldn't matter, just the number of tickets. The case you are referring to would happen if tickets were thrown out after being drawn.

I see your point! I agree with your deduction.

No, now that I look at it; how can the odds of winning be the same if you have 12 items to start with and you haven't won any of the items by the time the final item is drawn. Your chances of winning one of the items when there were 12 available is surely better than when they only have 1 left.

Because when there are none left, your chances of winning are zero.

Last edited:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    It's 1 in 300. That's the only way everyone's probability would add up to 1...which is a rule.

Top Bottom