Flowmaster?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Put a flowmaster on my silverado today (5.3 liter), with a turn down on it. Its not enough sound, would putting a tip make a difference? Not looking to put a big oversized one, not somrthing that will stand out. I liked the idea of just a turn down since it isnt visible, but its barely noticeable when idoling. I also believe a little power was lost, tires barely screech now lol. Any advice?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Put a flowmaster on my silverado today (5.3 liter), with a turn down on it. Its not enough sound, would putting a tip make a difference? Not looking to put a big oversized one, not somrthing that will stand out. I liked the idea of just a turn down since it isnt visible, but its barely noticeable when idoling. I also believe a little power was lost, tires barely screech now lol. Any advice?

Ditch the conventionally chambered muffler and get something else. Flowmasters were always power-robbing junk in my opinion/experience. The exhaust will get louder when they rust off, though.

On LS1 F-bodies the addition of a flowmaster muffler exchanges 10 rwhp for 10 redneck points.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Dynomax
    Plenty of rumble.
    Not a fan of flowmaster.
    It is very possible that you lost power with the flowmaster and your fuel mileage can suffer too.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    What are you suggesting? Not sure of options, not looking to get power, just really dont want to lose power either.

Dynomax is a good idea, so is Borla. I always liked the tone of Magnaflow on a GM vehicle with an LS-based engine. It's mellow cruising, but has a good tone to it when you open it up. Loud all the time gets old REAL fast.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I've only used 40 series on 4.3 but sounded great on it. Maybe it's a backpresure issue. I'd probably go SLP or Borla

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have Corsa on my silerado i think you can order them thru GM dealers. it not real loud at idle but sounds really clean

Corsca is a higher pitched sound and pretty loud, but is very clean. My experience is with a friend's LS2 GTO with LT's/cam. It sounded perfect before the LT's and cam. After that, too loud by far! On your truck though, it might be just the ticket.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I've only used 40 series on 4.3 but sounded great on it. Maybe it's a backpresure issue. I'd probably go SLP or Borla

With the larger engines it's a cork. On a V6, maybe it wasn't bad, or the power-loss was not noticeable. LS1 F-bodies lose about 10rwhp as a rule, compared to stock.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Any exhaust with chambers is just a bad idea.

+1, but some are better designed than others. Flowmaster is 100% about sound, they all sound the same, and they are cheap because they use cheap materials. If you want the sound of a chambered muffler, there are way WAY better options. I personally do not like a chambered muffler, either. The BEST exhaust system I ever heard was on my OEM Z06. It was basically a straight-through design with a perforated tube once the flaps opened at 3200rpm.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Dynomax
    Plenty of rumble.
    Not a fan of flowmaster.
    It is very possible that you lost power with the flowmaster and your fuel mileage can suffer too.

I stand corrected!
    I have a magnaflow, I just climbed under it to check it out. Anyway, very happy with it.
    ae4b7b15-dab4-32a9.jpg

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Magnaflow makes a great product. I have SLP on my mustang, it basically has two "resonators" which are just slight bumps in the pipe. those with the 2 high flow cats and headers means it is crazy loud, in a good way

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I guess they have changed over the years. When I put the Flow Masters on my Mustang that was about the only High performance muffler you could buy. Mine are original two chambers and they get progressively louder with shorter tail pipes. But then the engine in my car is not at all "normal" either.

Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Had a Gibson catback system on a Tahoe about 12 years ago. Great rumble, but too much resonance at 65 mph. Used to almost get a headache after a 2hour trip. But sounded badass in the parking garage! :rockon:

Top Bottom