Any golfers in here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Just curious, but any golfers in here?

Alot of the guys at work keep asking me to go golfing with them so I figured I might as well learn to play this dang sport (could be benefical to my carrer). Needless to say, Im NEW to the sport, never picked up a club till last week. I went and bought a fairly decent set of beginner clubs, went to the range and WOW I SUCK! I got a mean slice to the right when using the drivers, and tend to plow the field with the irons. But I think im getting the hang of it. :D

Just wondering but those of you who play, how did you learn? Im thinking about golf lessons, but maybe someone on here can give me some tips or vids to watch.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I love to try and play!!! The only thing I could ever do to correct my slice was roll the club face over the opposite way. What is happening is you are dropping your back shoulder and opening up your club face on your downward swing. Over time it will and can get better and you will be able to slowly open it back up and swing the club the way it was meant to be swung.

BlackStallion

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I haven't played in a while because of time. But the only advice I can tell you is practice practice and practice. I also picked up a lot of magazines and read a lot of materials online.

possrullin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Ruston, LA
    I can tell you this. I have been playing for 25 years and it is the most frustrating game you will ever play. Everytime I think I am done with the game of golf, I will go out and shoot 78 which gets me sucked back in.

You can pick up some tips from magazines but I would be careful especially if you are just starting to play. Game of golf is 95% mental, if you read all the different swing "tips" out there or listen to what 10 people tell you they can have you thinking about everything under the sun while you are trying to hit a little white ball sitting still.

Go out and have fun! When you get to a certain point in your game, you will know when that is, go get a lesson from a good teaching pro. It will cost a pretty penny from someone good but if it helps in your career, it is money well spent.

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    hello;

taking a few lession will be the cheapest $ you will ever spend. try not to go over 30min. for a lesson. a hour lesson is just to much. after 30 min you will be tired.

don't know the man, but the pro at santa maria might be a start. if your live near pelican point the head pro is a great teacher. have used him. the two other pro at pel pt are a waste of time & money.

work on one thing at a time. basics is king, grip, posture and alinement. skill level will increase slowly over time. video your swing to see and fix any swing problems.

practice putting, practice with your 150 yard club, practice putting, practice will your 100 yard club, practice putting, practice chipping, and last but not least practice putting!!!!!

par 72 = 2 putts per green = 36 putts or half your score if you shoot par. by the way we have 11 putters. god only knows how many wedges and course there is at least 3 extra drivers. me and golf...... i'm 66, started playing at 16. playing for $ will force you to get better or leave the game.

just remember, golf is a simple game. golf involves a stick, a ball and a hole in the ground. ALSO golf is a SAG, (stupid ass game).

rp

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I live very close to the LSU golf course, and cant believe I never had an interest in golf till now. Always thought it was a goofy boring game, till I started to see how hard and mentally challenging it can be. Ive been to the driving range twice now, getting better every time still clipping the top of the balls tho. Ive learned alot just from watching others swing and hit. I have yet to make it to the chipping greens or putting greens, but that will next session. Maybe in a month or two, when I can actually hit the ball when I try to, Ill venture out to actually play a few holes.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    If you don't want to take lessons, read this book.

hogan.jpg

http://www.magazines.com/product/be...iate_id=3823&gclid=CJu32-KSlLACFYic7Qod3RBvoQ

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I am a beginner as well.

Lessons I learned fast:

1. I am just as shitty with a $500 driver as I am with a $20 one. (the expensive one just made me look cool)

2. Less club speed is better than giving it all you have.

3. There is nothing easy about golf, but if you stick with it and wack some balls at the driving range it will get easier.

t-train

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I try to play weekly-ish... doesnt show. LSU is a great course to get started on. If you dont want to read a book or take lessons, I taught myself using Youtube. I avg around 82-88 these days. Go by Edwin Watts and check out their used club selection.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    I am a beginner as well.

Lessons I learned fast:

1. I am just as shitty with a $500 driver as I am with a $20 one. (the expensive one just made me look cool)

2. Less club speed is better than giving it all you have.

3. There is nothing easy about golf, but if you stick with it and wack some balls at the driving range it will get easier.

this is very true. you will find that technique will go a LONG way. go out 75% power if that makes sense, don't ever give it your all, at least that's what my instructor taught me. if you did, you'll have a hard time playing 18 holes every day.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    The biggest mistake new golfers make is, trying to hit the ball. The golf swing is the most important part, the ball just gets in the way.

Top Bottom