Walk in Gun Safe/Room?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    I'm drawing up the plans for my place and am planning on building a walk in gunsafe/room. Nothing huge but I need more storage, the size of a decent walk in closet. Does anyone here have pics or suggestions on this build. I've looked at the prefab steel setups and may go that route. What materials would you use if you were going to do it yourself.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    How about concrete and rebar filled cinder block walls, poured concrete floor and ceiling, vault door for entry, use a Mini-Split unit for climate control, stub up through floor for power and climate control so there are no holes in the ceiling or walls.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    1/4 inch steel block covered in layer of security grade concrete followed by layer of fire proof dry wall. Anchor it to bedrock.

Last edited:

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    This is good info, keep it coming. I'm framing up living quarters on one side of a metal building so it's going to be a live in shop. I'm about to start on the pad, then lay the slab so the idea about running electricity through the floor is a huge help. How do they poor concrete for the ceiling?

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    Also, I work offshore and would like this to work as a safe room incase my family needed while Im away at work or whenever. How would I need to do as far as vents/door with mechanism on the inside? Would the vents compromise the safe in a fire?

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    I had a good friend in the B.R. area that had a pawn shop. Somewhere he bought a walk-in vault from a bank that was being torn down. I think he poured a slab for it up against his house. Brought in the vault, secured it to the slab, punched a hole in the house for the door to open, framed it in and then bricked around the vault like it was part of the house. There was no way anyone was getting into that thing!

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    How about burying a 20' or 40' container then building over it. With a secret/hidden entrance of course.
    Something like this.

I had thought about that a while back but figured the ground would be too saturated down here and might cause problems. I know that when I was on the pipeline we did a job close to where I live and had to weight the pipe to keep it from floating up when we would get a lot of rain. That would be ideal it it would work though.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I really want to build one of these one day. I would go for a concrete design 12" thick with #6 rebar @ 6 inches each way each face. I would love to see someone try to get in :D. Browning sells some pretty sturdy safe doors made by prosteel.

Quick estimate on material for 8x8 is $1600 for concrete and $1250 for rebar. Throw in about $1000 for forms and labor and $3500 for a vault door and BAM. Impenetrable fortress for ~$7350...

dhfischerjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Pearl River
    Mine is concrete block filled, 1 inch rebar in every hole, 3/16" steal one top, welded to protruding rebar. The door came out of a bank they were taring down in Meterie.

Top Bottom