The average CCW issue time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LA toolman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Does the issue/exp. date of renewal coincide
    with exp date of previous permit or do they use the date of renewal approval?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Does the issue/exp. date of renewal coincide
    with exp date of previous permit or do they use the date of renewal approval?

The new permit will expire 5 years after the expiration date on the old permit unless you get a lifetime permit.

8upbowhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    LaPlace
    Turned in paperwork and got printed at LSP in Baton Rouge on 4/12/18, issued date is 4/19/18 and received permit in the mail on 4/26/18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    New member here. Took a CHP course on the 20th of last month. Did my application on line that night and submitted a copy of my DL, my certification of course, and copy of my DD214 since I was Honorably discharged as a retired Vet. Went to BR state police headquarters the next day to do my fingerprints electronically. Applying for a lifetime permit so the only money that I had to pay was the $10 for the fingerprints. I got an email after doing the app online saying the my app was submitted. I know its only been a short time but wondering if everything is going ok with my app? Thanks for yall's time.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    New member here. Took a CHP course on the 20th of last month. Did my application on line that night and submitted a copy of my DL, my certification of course, and copy of my DD214 since I was Honorably discharged as a retired Vet. Went to BR state police headquarters the next day to do my fingerprints electronically. Applying for a lifetime permit so the only money that I had to pay was the $10 for the fingerprints. I got an email after doing the app online saying the my app was submitted. I know its only been a short time but wondering if everything is going ok with my app? Thanks for yall's time.

Welcome to BS. Looks like you covered all the bases. I renewed mine the first of the year I have mine for over 20 years and it was nice not having to pay for the first time being a Vet. I didn't get the lifetime permit in case I wanted to use the no background check for a new gun purchase. Hope yours comes in soon.

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    Welcome to BS. Looks like you covered all the bases. I renewed mine the first of the year I have mine for over 20 years and it was nice not having to pay for the first time being a Vet. I didn't get the lifetime permit in case I wanted to use the no background check for a new gun purchase. Hope yours comes in soon.

Thanks for the reply. I thought you had to get a background check every time you purchase a gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Thanks for the reply. I thought you had to get a background check every time you purchase a gun?

The law was changed and I can't find it right now maybe someone will post it.
    This link kind of tells it. It's what a FFL can use to see if your 5 year permit is valid. My last permit was before the date so I couldn't used the no check deal. My new 5 year does.

https://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/FrontUser/RequestStatus.aspx

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    The law was changed and I can't find it right now maybe someone will post it.
    This link kind of tells it. It's what a FFL can use to see if your 5 year permit is valid. My last permit was before the date so I couldn't used the no check deal. My new 5 year does.

https://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/FrontUser/RequestStatus.aspx

Ok. I think I understand. You are saying if I have the 5 year permit, and not expired that if I buy a gun they will not have to do a background check?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Valid 5 year permit is NICS exempt as long as the ATF issued the waiver; which the atf did March 9, 2015. Lifetime permits still have to be background checked because they do not expire. This is one of the caveats for the ATFs issuance of the waiver. I can't recall what statute it was, but I will look it up. In the meantime here is more info on the topic. I almost forgot the permit has to have been issued post March 9, 2015, so permit holders issued prior will not be NICS exempt, but you will be good to go.

"Louisiana law states that concealed handgun permit holders in Louisiana are exempt from federal background checks when purchasing a firearm provided that the appropriate waiver has been granted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.2 The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has determined that Louisiana concealed handgun permits issued on or after March 9, 2015 qualify for this waiver.3 As a result, federal law still requires licensed dealers in Louisiana to conduct background checks prior to sale of a firearm if the purchaser has a concealed handgun permit issued before March 9, 2015."

Last edited:

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    Valid 5 year permit is NICS exempt as long as the ATF issued the waiver; which the atf did. Lifetime permits still have to be background checked because they do not expire. This is one of the caveats for the ATFs issuance of the waiver. I can't recall what statute it was, but I will look it up. In the meantime here is more info on the topic.

"Louisiana law states that concealed handgun permit holders in Louisiana are exempt from federal background checks when purchasing a firearm provided that the appropriate waiver has been granted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.2 The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has determined that Louisiana concealed handgun permits issued on or after March 9, 2015 qualify for this waiver.3 As a result, federal law still requires licensed dealers in Louisiana to conduct background checks prior to sale of a firearm if the purchaser has a concealed handgun permit issued before March 9, 2015."

Ok. Think I’m understanding now. No big deal if I by a gun they can do a background check on me. I have nothing to hide hopefully.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    If you have something to hide then LSP will dig it up. They run a NICS check and submit your prints to NCIC system on application. If your application is missing criminal history they will find out and reject the application. The bypass is more or less for outdated and inaccurate records, along with name similarities, false positives and pointless delays, and not to mention its redundant. I'm sure you will be good to go. It took me maybe about a month and a half from start to finish. A quarter of that time I was waiting for it to arrive in the mail after I got the approval email. From what I understand it moves faster now.

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    If you have something to hide then LSP will dig it up. They run a NICS check and submit your prints to NCIC system on application. If your application is missing criminal history they will find out and reject the application. The bypass is more or less for outdated and inaccurate records, along with name similarities, false positives and pointless delays, and not to mention its redundant. I'm sure you will be good to go. It took me maybe about a month and a half from start to finish. A quarter of that time I was waiting for it to arrive in the mail after I got the approval email. From what I understand it moves faster now.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. Hell I still have not bought a hand gun yet. Was kind of going to wait to see if and when I get my permit. Just going down to the local academy and maybe get a Walther PPS m2. Just want something small first.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Ok. Thanks for the replies. Hell I still have not bought a hand gun yet. Was kind of going to wait to see if and when I get my permit. Just going down to the local academy and maybe get a Walther PPS m2. Just want something small first.

No problem man. It's your choice to wait or not. As long as you qualify for a permit as outlined in LARS40:1379.3 you will be good to go. Off topic a little, but I have carried the PPS M2 Limited Edition, and its a great carry gun with minor quirks. However its probably not the best first gun. If you are just set on Walther maybe the PPQ m1/m2 might be a better fit if its a first pistol.

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    No problem man. It's your choice to wait or not. As long as you qualify for a permit as outlined in LARS40:1379.3 you will be good to go. Off topic a little, but I have carried the PPS M2 Limited Edition, and its a great carry gun with minor quirks. However its probably not the best first gun. If you are just set on Walther maybe the PPQ m1/m2 might be a better fit if its a first pistol.

Thanks again. Not set on the PPS. Just concerned with being able to carry anything other than a single stack. Don’t want to have buy another one after getting my first one due to not being able to conceal it. Like the idea of a Glock 43, 26 due to reliability or maybe m&p shield. This is my first owned handgun. I have carried the 1911 and the beretta m9 while in the navy while over in the Iraq and Afghanistan.This is the first being concealed.

Last edited:

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    Forgot that I posted above the last post. I got mine in the mail 2 days after I posted the question. Got the PPS also and already carrying.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Forgot that I posted above the last post. I got mine in the mail 2 days after I posted the question. Got the PPS also and already carrying.

That was fast! Congratulations man, and good luck. I have been carrying my pps m2 lately also I love it and the shield almost equally. How long would you say it took you from start to finish to get your permit?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    That was fast! Congratulations man, and good luck. I have been carrying my pps m2 lately also I love it and the shield almost equally. How long would you say it took you from start to finish to get your permit?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

20 days from when I submitted the paperwork on line to when I got my card in the mail. I’m trying to get used to carrying the PPS (or a handgun for that matter) in AIWB.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom