Gun Inventory App? What do you use?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I need to move past the pen-and-paper method of keeping track of what's in the safe. I'd like to get an app for iPhone that keeps inventory and is secure. I know there are a few things out there, so what do y'all use and what's good?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    ...an app for iPhone that keeps inventory and is secure.

What an oxymoron.

If you have so much in your safe that you have to move past the pen and paper method then I'd suggest a dedicated external memory device that you DON'T carry with you wherever you go. Keeping a thumbdrive safe with a simple Excel spreadsheet is easy enough.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    I am on MS Excel all day at work-so I just use it. I do not have a smart phone or ipad but I am looking at the Airbook because it can run Excel. It is a product that I know-I am sure that there may be a better dedicated inventory program-I just use what I know.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    What an oxymoron.

If you have so much in your safe that you have to move past the pen and paper method then I'd suggest a dedicated external memory device that you DON'T carry with you wherever you go. Keeping a thumbdrive safe with a simple Excel spreadsheet is easy enough.

meh. Something that requires a password and doesn't back up to a server somewhere is secure enough. Point is, I already have the iPhone with me all day every day, so if I ever needed to access said list, I'm thinking for insurance purposes or something of the sort, I'd have it on me.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    i'm pretty far from a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist but i feel listing the firearms you own on anything digital is a bad idea if that device has a connection to the internet. especially a device that is ALWAYS connected to the internet with a GPS locator in it that can be controlled by a company as crazy as apple. but that's just me :dunno:

i have one of these babies - http://www.amazon.com/Thinkpad-USB-Secure-Hard-Drive/dp/B001MUDF72

9xkzg.jpg

anything important gets put on it and stored in the safe and the files are never stored locally on my machine. if i were to keep an inventory of all my firearms on something digital, that's the only thing i would trust :dunno:

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I use a excel spreadsheet, backed up in my google docs and emailed to myself. If you wanted a physical backup use a cd and a physical printout. Seen too many people lose stuff because their external hard drive or thumbdrive crapped out and that was the only copy of whatever they had.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Gun Log for $.99 or Gun Log +P for $1.99.

+P allows you to export your data.

It keeps an inventory of your guns, ammo, and accessories with pictures and is also a range log.

mzl.uhvkmqtr.320x480-75.jpg
    mzl.vpxiclrp.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.wiltnhao.320x480-75.jpg
    mzl.knglmkwl.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.mxszwpja.320x480-75.jpg

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gun-log/id443611628?mt=8
    Description

"Paper and pen at the range? Unnecessary. Gun Log lets you store all your firearm data…", American Warrior, issue Number 5.

Gun Log stores information for firearms, ammunition, firing sessions, and accessories. Gun Log is an Universal App and runs on iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone.

Gun Log is a range log book on your iOS device. Gun Log is also an inventory of your valuable firearms and accessories with all the pertinent information kept in one place.

There is no online service, your firearm data is not transferred and remains in your control. (If you want to export your data then consider Gun Log +P)

Security:
    You can enable a passcode through the iOS Settings App.

Gun Log does not transfer the data stored in the application. It is not exported via emails or any type of reports. It is not uploaded to any server or tracked in anyway. This is intentional. Gun information is valuable and private. You, the user, are responsible for making backups and securing those backups.

Weapons:
    Make, Model, Caliber, Photo, Purchase Information, Multiple Configurations, and more!

Weapon Configurations:
    Each weapon can have multiple setups called configurations. You can specify different optics, barrels, or even caliber changes!

Weapon Maintenance:
    You can store detailed information about weapon maintenance. You can quickly specify a "Quick Clean" or "Field Strip" and if you "Replaced Parts"!

Ammo:
    Make, Caliber, Type, Number of Rounds, Bullet Weight, Ballistic Coefficient, Bullet Make, Powder Type, Muzzle Velocity, Overall Length, and more!

Sessions:
    A session is like a "day at the range". While you are at a session you may shoot several weapons or use several different types of ammo. Each of these differences is what makes up a "Firing Set".

Firing Sets:
    Weapon Used, Configuration Used, Ammo used, Firing Method [Rapid fire, double tap, etc...], Firing Stance [Prone, Standing, etc...], Rounds Fired, Group Size, Failures Records,Take photograph of target, Calculate Bullet Drop, and more!

Accessories:
    Accessory information can be logged. A description, the serial number, notes, a photo, and purchase information can be stored.

Reports:
    Failures, Firing Sets, Rounds Fired, Drop Tables, ...

Rounds Count by Caliber reports the total rounds for each caliber round you have entered. This is essential for tracking inventory.

Bullet Drop Estimator:
    Given a weapon, a weapon configuration, and an ammunition you can calculate a table showing the estimated vertical position and time of flight. This estimation uses G1 ballistic coefficient and assumes altitude and other common variables. This will give you enough information to get you on "paper" and help you get your weapon sighted in quickly.

Photos:
    Store photos of your weapon, accessories, various weapon setups called "configurations", and your targets - the proof is in the picture.

Backups:
    iTunes File Sharing is enabled. Through iTunes you can save the Gun Log's database for personal backups. The Gun Log database is called Shooting_Buddy and you will see it in iTunes.

(WARNING: Do not modify the database outside of Gun Log. Such actions are not tested and are not supported. The schema and design of the database is the copyrighted work and design of Skunkworks Software LLC.)

There are detailed tutorials and screen shots found on the support page!

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Photograph your guns and their serial numbers (and anything else of value or importance), put on cds, thumb drives, etc., and give a copy to a relative. Also store as an email to yourself, cloud or whatever.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    i'm pretty far from a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist but i feel listing the firearms you own on anything digital is a bad idea if that device has a connection to the internet. especially a device that is ALWAYS connected to the internet with a GPS locator in it that can be controlled by a company as crazy as apple. but that's just me :dunno:

i have one of these babies - http://www.amazon.com/Thinkpad-USB-Secure-Hard-Drive/dp/B001MUDF72

9xkzg.jpg

anything important gets put on it and stored in the safe and the files are never stored locally on my machine. if i were to keep an inventory of all my firearms on something digital, that's the only thing i would trust :dunno:

Pretty smart people at Apple, as elsewhere. Don't you think if they want your info they would have a way of getting it as you enter it into your computer and external
    hard drive ? Be that as it may, I understand why you would need an inventory for insurance, police reports, etc. I do not understand the need for protecting the info with secrecy
    and encryption. So someone gets the list of your guns. What can they do with the info that would be harmful to you. "You" being gun owners in general.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I would not store anything on my smart phone that I was not willing to send to any government agency.

Play the tin foil hat card all you want. Smart Phones and Social Networks are fun to have and participate in. However don't be naive into thinking your info can't be accessed at will by the powers that be. 'Beware what'cha share'. Once your phone is connected to the network it can be hacked and/or monitored. Any information crossing air waves is up for grabs with the right equipment.

You can use APP killers and Auto Killers all you want. Some software Apps still turn themselves on and attempt to access the network for updates etc.

So it's obviously your choice I'm just sharing a thought.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I do not understand the need for protecting the info with secrecy
    and encryption. So someone gets the list of your guns. What can they do with the info that would be harmful to you.

Kill you :dunno:

Would potential gun thief’s be more or less likely to break into a home they think has no guns in it?

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I'm going with bad idea and will stick to pen and paper One copy locked away at work and one copy locked away not stored with guns liike I have seen friends do...:doh:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Gun Log for $.99 or Gun Log +P for $1.99.

+P allows you to export your data.

It keeps an inventory of your guns, ammo, and accessories with pictures and is also a range log.

mzl.uhvkmqtr.320x480-75.jpg
    mzl.vpxiclrp.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.wiltnhao.320x480-75.jpg
    mzl.knglmkwl.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.mxszwpja.320x480-75.jpg

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gun-log/id443611628?mt=8

This looks pretty slick. Thanks, I'll check it out.

I don't see what the big deal would be if the government found out what I own. Way I see it, nothing I have is illegal, or even highly desirable. I don't own any guns worth more than $1000, and only a couple in that price range. "They" probably can assume we all own at least a couple guns just based on the fact that we've had NICS checks run.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I'm going with bad idea and will stick to pen and paper One copy locked away at work and one copy locked away not stored with guns liike I have seen friends do...:doh:

Wait... stored with the guns? I think they're missing the point :ugh2:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball

I don't see what the big deal would be if the government found out what I own. Way I see it, nothing I have is illegal, or even highly desirable. I don't own any guns worth more than $1000, and only a couple in that price range. "They" probably can assume we all own at least a couple guns just based on the fact that we've had NICS checks run.
    They can assume not prove off NICS checks alone and just because they are not illegal today doesn't mean tomorrow is a give me.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

You don't want the government knowing what guns you have because it's possible they can pull a Katrina and come Get them, again. You make their job way easier if they already have a nice organized list of what to come steal from you.
    Not even being tinfoil-y. Deathly serious. They've proven they Can because they Have already. They Will try it again.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Password protected MS Access database. This allows me to use the data more effectively than if it was in a spreadsheet. Databases are for data and spreadsheets are for calculations. I prefer a database over a software program like mygundb because it let's me make fields I think are important and leave ones out that aren't.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I have in my hands an ATF Publication # 3312.8

Personal Firearms Record. These are available from MOST police departments.

Whatever method you choose, ALWAYS keep a duplicate record and don't store either WITH the guns.

As someone in the LEO field and also a prior victim of a firearms theft, it is EXTREMELY important to keep at LEAST the serial number and if possible any receipts or other proof of ownership, should any of your firearms get stolen.

Top Bottom