Gun shops usually lie to women?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    My mom recently got her ccw permit and a charter arms undercover .38spc. She took the gun to a local shop to get a holster(wanded an own with a hammer strap), they told her that those were dangerous and sold her an uncle mikes nylon iw(the one like a pocket). She also asked for self defense ammo, and they gave her a box of pmc fmj's.
    When I told her to ask at the local shop I assumed the would point her to the more expensive stuff, but still get her what she wanted, not pawn the cheapest junk in the store on her.
    I've just learned that the shop has a notorious reputation for selling women and minorities cheap/weak ammo, and cheap/unreliable equipment.

Anybody know any shops that treat women like this?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    My mom recently got her ccw permit and a charter arms undercover .38spc. She took the gun to a local shop to get a holster(wanded an own with a hammer strap), they told her that those were dangerous and sold her an uncle mikes nylon iw(the one like a pocket). She also asked for self defense ammo, and they gave her a box of pmc fmj's.
    When I told her to ask at the local shop I assumed the would point her to the more expensive stuff, but still get her what she wanted, not pawn the cheapest junk in the store on her.
    I've just learned that the shop has a notorious reputation for selling women and minorities cheap/weak ammo, and cheap/unreliable equipment.

What shop/industry DOESN'T seem to victimize those who don't know better? Men/women/black/white.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Semi related...when I worked at Home Depot a little older lady came in wanting to buy a weed trimmer. She was looking at Homelites and other junk. I told her if she didn't want to break a hip trying to get a pile of junk started to just go ahead and spend the extra $100 and buy an Echo (mine always worked GREAT). So I upsold her to an Echo plus a small gas can and a bottle of oil. I always sold people who didn't know anything better stuff, not worse :rofl:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula

I hope they didn't pawn the cheap stuff on her, for the same price as the expensive stuff.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    This is complete and utter BS... I wouldn't mind paying higher prices at a place where you actually got service....

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Semi related...when I worked at Home Depot a little older lady came in wanting to buy a weed trimmer. She was looking at Homelites and other junk. I told her if she didn't want to break a hip trying to get a pile of junk started to just go ahead and spend the extra $100 and buy an Echo (mine always worked GREAT). So I upsold her to an Echo plus a small gas can and a bottle of oil. I always sold people who didn't know anything better stuff, not worse :rofl:

+1, I don't understand the reasoning behind the gunshop, but maybe they have something against those people and want them to have poor results, should they use it.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Seems like she was pretty unprepaired for the trip. If your unable to get these things for her or to go with her to buy these things, you could have told her a specific item ie. Galco Wraith and Speer Gold dot ammo. Even if she doesnt know what she is getting when she sounds like she does she will be ahead of the game.

Either way yall need to deal with another shop!

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I was surprised in the other dirrection the other day. Wife went to Big Als in pineville and Al's Daughter gave her a great deal and hooker her up with box of gold dots too. Thought about sending her for my next purchase also but like topic says I may have gotten lucky at one good shop. I know car mechanics screw women over big time.. Last time me and friend changed break pads he was complimenting on how even tire wear was. I do maint religously but had a small leak in rear left tire. Tires had about 45% tread left. She went to get it fixed and came back with 2 new tires and a alignment.... I was pissed.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I was surprised in the other dirrection the other day. Wife went to Big Als in pineville and Al's Daughter gave her a great deal and hooker her up with box of gold dots too. Thought about sending her for my next purchase also but like topic says I may have gotten lucky at one good shop. I know car mechanics screw women over big time.. Last time me and friend changed break pads he was complimenting on how even tire wear was. I do maint religously but had a small leak in rear left tire. Tires had about 45% tread left. She went to get it fixed and came back with 2 new tires and a alignment.... I was pissed.

I've heard Al jacks people on the prices but he and Stephanie are great. I adore Mr. Alfred. He and Dad have been gun buddies a long time before he opened up shop. He was the one that talked to me over pertinent CHP paperwork before I sent my info to BR.

In fact. The Forrests introduced me and Dad to the concept of a potato gun a WAY long time ago at their house during a Christmas party. Mrs. Joy is a sweetheart.

I don't think I'd send your wife. Personally, my experience, they love repeat buyers. :)

Last edited:

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    in my business, it has been my experience that when it comes to selling things to women, they listen more than men... i can explain things and identify with their problems more than someone who claims to know it all and is strictly price driven... sometimes its important to know who you are buying from, especially if that person is going to be working on your vehicle..

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    in my business, it has been my experience that when it comes to selling things to women, they listen more than men... i can explain things and identify with their problems more than someone who claims to know it all and is strictly price driven... sometimes its important to know who you are buying from, especially if that person is going to be working on your vehicle..

Absolutely correct and, wait....you are, err, right!

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Seems like she was pretty unprepaired for the trip. If your unable to get these things for her or to go with her to buy these things, you could have told her a specific item ie. Galco Wraith and Speer Gold dot ammo. Even if she doesnt know what she is getting when she sounds like she does she will be ahead of the game.

Either way yall need to deal with another shop!

She lives in southern Ohio, a bit of a drive to help her get some ammo and a holster.
    And I assumed that they would push the higher end stuff on her, which I'm fine with, not the junk.

Top Bottom