Knife info needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    What do I have here? Both sides are a soft silver metal that is engraved, 2 edged blades, one straight pick. Knife blades stamped with a Spur and "Sheffield" above the spur and "England" below the spur as shown below:

20120530-07.jpg

20120530-09.jpg

20120530-08.jpg

20120530-10.jpg

20120530-06.jpg

any ideas if it has any value?

The knife is 3 1/8" in length folded and 5/8" wide on the wide end and .5" on the narrow end. The blades are 1.5" and 1.75" and the "pick" is 2.25" in length.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    It was identified and I sold it for shipping cost:

Quote:
    It is a First Lieutenants knife. On a Navy the First Lt, is responsible for First or Deck Division. The spike is a Marlinspike which is used to untangle line and is helpful for tying certain knots such as Reef knots and Monkeyfists. I have only seen 2 that nice, both belonged to Senior officers of Her Royal Majesty's Navy. I have seen some nicer than average given as gifts to officers who transfer or are reassigned as recognition for being a fairly decent officer. We made mugs and steins out of 5in powder cases for much the same reason.

Regular Bosun's are issued a similar knife, but it's not nearly that pretty.

Top Bottom