Tips for a new home owner please! AC condenser drainline clogged in my home.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCAR17S

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Terrytown/Gretna
    So I've watched several videos on youtube about how to unclog these drain lines(none of them mention special considerations for dual unit systems plumbed into the same drain lines. I have located my interior ones in the closets with my A/C units in them. Here's the kicker. My upstairs unit is piped into the same drain line as my downstairs unit. I tried capping off my top terminator with some duct tape and it worked fine no leaks. but when I put my hose in the the downstairs line, almost immediately it began draining into the drain pan beneath my downstairs unit. I unsealed the top unit drain opening and tried to vacuum the exterior (bottom) end of the drain line with a wet vac with no success. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I called my plumber buddy but he seems to be MIA. And this is also something I'd like to learn to resolve on my own. I've always lived in older homes with isolated window units which was a much easier fix for me lol. Completely new to central gas powered units. you can PM me on here, or if you feel like you'd rather have a quick chat give me a call at (mike) @ 985-860-2245

SCAR17S

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Terrytown/Gretna
    update. i unclogged my line by capping off the bottom access point to the drain line and putting my air compressor directly into the upstairs access point and the line is flowing clear and fine. problem not solved. the downstairs unit is dripping water from the inside of it. i'm inclined to believe that there is drain line blockage inside my actual a/c unit. my upstairs unit is working fine now that the main drain line is working, but the unit downstairs leaks like a sieve when i turn it on.

SCAR17S

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Terrytown/Gretna
    lol thanks i cleared the outside line. it was also clogged. now my internal plumbing from the drain pan is clogged and i cannot back of the the threaded pvc connector without breaking it and it is in a very awkward spot. i guess i need to get creative on how to back off the connection or hack it off and make a new one. yeah once I got the main drain lines unclogged i did a chlorine flush on it. just need to get up inside now to clean up the drain pan.
    trying to unscrew the guy with the yellow circle around him without breaking any pvc. so i can get in there and clean it out.
    tsf6v.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tsf6v.jpg
    high rez.

Last edited:

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    You are going to have to cut and replace. That elbow looks to have either 2 joints - one at the threaded nipple but certainly one at the elbow. You won't be able to unscrew

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Take out the top red plug and put in a fitting so that you can put in bleach . This will clear the pan out let as well, thats where most stoppages happen.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    Had the same issue but it was insulation that got kicked up in the pan then clogged the PVC. Luckily it was easy to just change out the PVC. And I try to remember to put bleach through it once a year. This post just reminded me that it's that time again.
    Thanks

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Bleach first, if that doesn't eat the growth after a few days break a fitting somewhere and try an auger. Be sure to get an auger with a thinner cord or you won't get past the first elbow.

Splat has a good point too, if you can locate the clog changing the PVC out shouldn't be too hard either.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I put a valve in the ones I have to deal with. It blocks off access to the unit when closed. Now you can force air, water or use bleach to the outside & have no smell. Normally the valve is open.

You can also do a stand pipe one each side of the valve or 2 valves & 1 stand pipe. That way you can make sure you have flow from point A to B then to C.

Outside, mark your normal drain line & the overflow if you have one. Periodically check to see the correct one is dripping. If the normal is not dripping but the overflow is, you know what you have to do.

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    Looks like you got a Rheem! Cut the pipe after the 45 get a bottle brush and run back into the coil,blow out the other end
    with compressed air. Put a tee where you cut the pipe and 2 times during the summer ounce before and middle pure some drain
    down the drain. Put a stub on the tee for a riser and do not cap it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom