What do you do if your gun has no SN?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    not really but I know it's OOOOLLLLLDDDD... I'll get a pic and put it up tomorrow. I can't remember model and such offhand. Still shoots good but it doesn't feed sometimes.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    If it's older then them-thar-hills, as in turn-of-the-century, serials were not required back then before a certain date. Then the BTAFE decided that they needed serials. Have you asked Google yet?

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    oh I've googled this and that about it over the years. I am really hoping someone says... "oh yeah I had one of those as a kid..." or something to that effect. It's the blank space in the SN area of my log book that bothers me

CPL_Primeaux

AK-holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Lafayette ,Slidell,Abbeville
    They didnt start putting serial numbers on guns until 1968 . We have a few older than that. Just keep em like any other gun . As said before. No need to worry .

Get an engraving tool and engrave your last name somewhere out of sight. Take a photo of it if you keep a log. Its not the same as a SN for an officer to run if its stolen and found... but at least its an identifiable mark .

Last edited:

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    My mom has one of my grandpa's old .22s that has no numbers on it. I wrote down all the identifying marks that I could find. I've also talked to people that will mark their initials under the butt plate or on the inside of the forearm.

Bradb4178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Ruston / Baton Rouge
    I have a few very very old guns without serial numbers as well. I took apart the gun and engraved my information on a place hidden from normal view. You could even make your own serial number to engrave and right down just incase anything ever happens to it.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Pre GCA of 1968 they weren't required. Most of your higher end manufactures had them anyway for inventory and warranty purposes. Typical FFL log book entry will be "no factory sn applied". I'm not sure on the legalities of adding your own if you're not the original builder/manufacturer.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Big Nick's comments are correct.

You can use what is known as an OAN, which is an Owner Applied Number. If the gun did not have a factory serial number, the OAN can be used to identify it in case of loss, theft, etc. and it can be searched via NCIC just as a factory serial number can.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom