San Antonio bound..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I'll be attending class in San Antonio mon-fri. I'll be staying at a la Quinta which is near Sea World, so I was told. I've never been to San Antonio before. Anyone have any suggestions of places to see, or eat? I will have my girlfriend and 9 month old son, and I will be in class probably 8-4 through Friday, and checkout Saturday which leaves Saturday open to do something if we want. I was also told we will be right near the river walk, not sure what to expect, any suggestions?

Southland Fi

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Morgan City
    Stop in Schulenburg. They have a rest. there called Oakridge Smokehouse. I love the breakfast buffet there. The beef jerkey is some of the best I ever had. I also like the Alamo cafe rest. its on 281 north before you get to loop 1601. You can check out the childrens museum I think that its downtown. I went last year there main exhibit was bugs then.

Poweboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Bay St Louis/Slidell
    When I graduated basic we had a couple days to go out with the family. The river walk is real nice. Take the little river boat cruise. We went to the Alamo as well but I think it was a waste of time. We ate at Saltgrass steak house it was kind of pricey but delicious food. If you like Brazilian Steak houses try Chamagaucha. Sea World is not to far from the riverwalk. There are a couple good malls to go to I recommend The Shops at La Cantera and it is right next to Six Flags.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Also check out Market Square the largest Mexican market in the U.S. it's not far from the Riverwalk. You'll see older mexican women standing next to big black iron pots full of oil...stop whatever you're doing and have them make you the best Gordita in the world. Nothing like Taco Hell...they're amazing and cheap.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    The river walk sounds like a definate plan, seems like something we can enjoy with our 9 month old, will try to check out the alamo as well. We would rather not go anywheres too fancy, as we will havd our son with us, and he gets angry sometimes lol

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Cafe Ole on the riverwalk had some pretty good Mexican food. If you're into that sort of thing, Cowboys Dancehall was a lot of fun. Good "scenery" there too. ;)

If you got the time, I'd suggest tubing down the Comal River. Everybody talks about the Guadalupe River, but it's really crowded and there's usually not even a lot of water. The Comal is a much better ride.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The riverwalk is ok, if you want to do the tourist thing everyone else is doing.

There are lots of things to do in san antonio, but there are also lots of things to do outside of san antonio. If youre a big john wayne fan, I'd tell you to go to the old spanish trail restaurant in bandera texas. The food isn't worth a ****, so dont order much there, but it is a really great place as far as history goes. http://www.texasbob.com/eats/tbe_ost.html

I'd tell you to drive past that and head to mac and earnies, its a road side shack in tarpley texas, next to what is probably the smallest gas station in the world(if the gas station is still there). It was featured on diners drive ins and dives a while back. Their goat, quail, axis, etc. is absolutely amazing. http://www.macandernies.com/

If you can get a seat for it(depending on if you want to bring the baby), you could try eating at the tower of the americas. Its pretty expensive and if the baby is going to be an issue, it might not be an option, but if you can trust the child, its a place you'll remember for a long time. http://www.toweroftheamericas.com/chart-house-restaurant.asp

Whoever suggested chama gaucha was right on the money too. Its expensive, but it is all you can eat, EXCELLENT steaks. http://www.chamagaucha.com/

Chris madrids is an awesome place for burgers too. http://www.chrismadrids.com/

Its been a while since I've been there, but I lived in san antonio, kerrville, bandera, and tarpley, so it might've changed, but I doubt by much.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Go to New Braufels and hit up Schiltterbahn or tube the Guadalupe.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Alamo's pretty cool at night, too...
    DSC00707.jpg

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    The first time I ever saw the Alamo was at 2:30 in the morning. Jumped out of the car and my father-in-law took a picture. Was several years later before I actually got to take a tour. Very respectful place, like a church.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The first time I ever saw the Alamo was at 2:30 in the morning. Jumped out of the car and my father-in-law took a picture. Was several years later before I actually got to take a tour. Very respectful place, like a church.
    Originally it was a mission.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Made it here last night, my hotel is downtown. We just tried driving to find a certain burger which was 4 blocks from hotel, ended up down one way streets (wrong way!!), we decided to just walk and explore when I get out of class which isnt until 4 I believe. We are definately planning on alamo, river walk, and the market for sure. Not sure about buckeys? Will do a little google-fu see what that is.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Wait, Is it bucees or buckeys? I know there are bucees truckstops?

The truck stop with the rodent on ths sign is Buc-ee's

Bucee.png

There are a handful in the state. There are literally signs for hundreds of miles. It's not that big of a deal.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Dick's Last Resort (similiar to Joe's Crab Shack but I remember the food being good actually but the staff were WAY entertaining...look it up), assuming it's still open on the river walk. There might also be an Irish piano bar on the river walk that was fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom