Computer/security experts: Educate me on...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I saw at Wal-Mart today what looks to be a "video security system in a box". It comes with four outdoor/indoor cameras and a cable box that looks like, well... a cable box. The four cameras plug into the back of this box and records a full continuous month on DVR. It says on the package that the cameras can be viewed remotely through laptop or smart phone or whatever.

How does this work? Is the included cable box router compatible? I guess I'm just basically trying to understand how these security cameras work, being it can be viewed remotely on laptop. Anyone?

skwurlking

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    Pineville, LA
    It's probably set up like a WiFi network with your PC or laptop. Similar to how you can remotely view your home PC desktop from your laptop when you are away from home.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    They use an IP that you can connect to from a computer. Usually comes with software that does this for you and lets you pick out a username and password to access your feed. The box in there is a DVR which probably has ethernet hookups in the back.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    In order to view it remotely you would most likely need a static IP address as well as a VPN or PTTP software.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    The back of the package is saying the same y'all are saying. I guess I'm computer-stupid. I hope it comes with simple step-by-step instructions.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    The "cable box" is what is called a DVR...as in "digital video recorder"... and yes, it's different than the cablebox or dvr you have for tv ;-)

Sounds like that kit contains some analog cameras that you connect to this DVR, then connect the DVR to your home network. This box is basically going to "convert" the analog feed into digital, record it, AND also allow you to access it through the network.

You won't need a Static IP Address, but you will probably want to setup a dynamic DNS through someone (dyndns.org or similar) if you don't have one.

You won't need any VPN software... most of these kits use pretty basic authentication. (It will have you setup a username/password, thats it).

You will probably need to setup port forwarding on your home router.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I saw at Wal-Mart today what looks to be a "video security system in a box". It comes with four outdoor/indoor cameras and a cable box that looks like, well... a cable box. The four cameras plug into the back of this box and records a full continuous month on DVR. It says on the package that the cameras can be viewed remotely through laptop or smart phone or whatever.

How does this work? Is the included cable box router compatible? I guess I'm just basically trying to understand how these security cameras work, being it can be viewed remotely on laptop. Anyone?

That "cable box" is a basic DVR. You hook it to the internet and it either allows you to access the video on a webpage supported by the manufacturer, or it relies on you having a static IP address to access the data. Honestly, you would've been much better served buying a real camera system online, as those probably wont do well in the weather, have low resolution, low number of IR leds, etc. Walmart just isn't the place for cameras.

Last edited:

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    As far as connecting back, I wouldn't worry about static IP's, dynamic DNS, or anything like that. The software that comes with it should handle all of the connections with no problems like that.

Top Bottom