new project Mosin Nagant 91/30

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron_j

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Meraux,La
    Have an M44 and after much thought I decided that it couldnt be modernized and me feel ok about it. That was the $69 rifle (probably 15yrs ago when I was 12) that turned into my grandfather getting his C&R and now owns at least one of every WWII era rifle. So I always wanted to get anothe Mosin to modernize.

So last week my friend tells me his is for sale for 260 with one of Aaron Henderson's l96 style stock, scout mount, some rails mounted on the stock, and also the original arsenal parts.

As of now I have it stripped, tomorrow Im attempting to get the scout mount off as someone recommended he JB Weld it on, then Im going to finish floating and fine tuning the stock, as well as get some bedding blocks. Ive never done this before so itll be intresting but seems easy. After that I may strip the stock, they are walnut or cherry but unsure what this one is. First it was painted OD green, now its black. So Id like to see what the wood looks like and try staining it, if its not great Ill go a different route.

I bought a bottle of the Birchwood-Casey blue in a bottle to try out rebluing the barrel after I get the mount off.

Then after thats all done, I will install sling swivel studs, a bipod, and start working on making a bent bolt handle. My thought is some stainless round stock, heated and bent in a vise to fit the contour or just angle it down and back.

Finally a Rock Solid Industries scope mount and halfway decent scope.

Wish I couldve posted a picture but from my phone I cant.

Any pointers are appreciated fellas!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I think that your lack of response here is that most collectors of C&R don't sporterize them. Therefore they might not have much experience in that area. At least I fall into that category anyway. Consider this response a bump.

Dave

aaron_j

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Meraux,La
    I kind of figured you guys would frown upon me for "basterdizing" a rifle. But its ok if some of you feel that way, its not like Im taking one of our Garands or Mausers, yes I said one as our collection runs deep, and butchering one of them.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hey it's your rifle, I got no problem with what you do to it. I have a Mosin Nagant myself. You can put lipstick, a dress, perfume, and a wig on a pig but underneath all that stuff still got a pig not a women. However as long as you fun doing it... who cares?

Dave

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    We purists. Though some of us do enjoy a Mosin pistol, or some cool mods, but, for the love of all things historic and irreplaceable, KEEP IT AS IT SHOULD BE! :rofl:

However as long as you fun doing it... who cares?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Coming from one of the purists... Its already a mess. I'm glad you're going to accurize it, I'd like to see what they're capable of. Adding 6 sections of rail and hanging a fake grenade launcher off it, yes, would tick me off.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    If the stock you're going to refinish is the original stock, then rubbing alcohol removes shellac quickly and painlessly. Tru-Oil makes an easy and very pretty finish on the stripped stock.

tonyrou

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    i sporterized one a couple years ago. its a money pit. but if you decide to go through i suggest a scope mount from http://www.advancedrifleparts.com/. very solid, and really dresses the rifle up a lot. it gives it a more modern feel. as far as the bolt i did my own by cutting the original down and then welding on a ati bent bolt kit. i used filer rod, threw it in the tumbler and re polished. then luma-noxed it so it looked like stainless and would resist corrosion better. i got a ati monte carlo stock, shaved it to a almost snug fit and beded it fiber glass. i also rock tumbled my trigger group and polished it to lighten the pull and make it more crisp. the bore i used a fin3 copper(has to be copper) wire brush soaked with dawn dish soap and water for about 20 min attached to a rod and drill. the polished the bore using cot0n wading and gun oil for about an hour(same method as copper brush). this removes rust and stops corrosion from surplus ammo. if you have never done this take your time and go very slowly. you want to do this if you can. it makes it easier to keep up with a barrel you have thoroughly cleaned your self. and be-leave me when i say Clean the gun the same day you fire it. And use either warm water and dish soap or use black powder rifle cleaner. i know it sounds hanky but i learned the hard way. i shot ten rounds through my first then cleaned it 10 days latter and it was full of rust. if you wanna smooth the outside of the barrel us plumbers Emory cloth and work your way down slowly like a normal piece of pipe, you got any questions just pm me. i spent 700$ including the rifle. i also toke a ak47 screw on muzzle brake and bored it out to fit the nagant. heres some pics.

anthonyrousseve

2011-10-26150800_Metairie_Louisiana_US.jpg
    [/IMG]
    remember you can do allot to em but you will never get more money back on these.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i sporterized one a couple years ago. its a money pit. but if you decide to go through i suggest a scope mount from http://www.advancedrifleparts.com/. very solid, and really dresses the rifle up a lot. it gives it a more modern feel. as far as the bolt i did my own by cutting the original down and then welding on a ati bent bolt kit. i used filer rod, threw it in the tumbler and re polished. then luma-noxed it so it looked like stainless and would resist corrosion better. i got a ati monte carlo stock, shaved it to a almost snug fit and beded it fiber glass. i also rock tumbled my trigger group and polished it to lighten the pull and make it more crisp. the bore i used a fin3 copper(has to be copper) wire brush soaked with dawn dish soap and water for about 20 min attached to a rod and drill. the polished the bore using cot0n wading and gun oil for about an hour(same method as copper brush). this removes rust and stops corrosion from surplus ammo. if you have never done this take your time and go very slowly. you want to do this if you can. it makes it easier to keep up with a barrel you have thoroughly cleaned your self. and be-leave me when i say Clean the gun the same day you fire it. And use either warm water and dish soap or use black powder rifle cleaner. i know it sounds hanky but i learned the hard way. i shot ten rounds through my first then cleaned it 10 days latter and it was full of rust. if you wanna smooth the outside of the barrel us plumbers Emory cloth and work your way down slowly like a normal piece of pipe, you got any questions just pm me. i spent 700$ including the rifle. i also toke a ak47 screw on muzzle brake and bored it out to fit the nagant. heres some pics.

anthonyrousseve

2011-10-26150800_Metairie_Louisiana_US.jpg
    [/IMG]
    remember you can do allot to em but you will never get more money back on these.

i like that one!

Top Bottom