Home Warranty of America UPDATE Post 28

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Home Warranty of America

So we got a home warranty for the house when we bought because we knew it was older and things would go wrong. Just had a plumber come out after calling HWA. They said it would be a $75 deductible, which we were expecting.

Plumber comes out, fixes the toilet, but then HWA tells us it's not covered under the warranty because it hasn't been long enough that those parts should have warn out. So we got landed with $153 bill on something that is listed as COVERED.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!? We bought the house. The house is 30 years old!!! This company is pathetic and has a history of ripping people off. Steer clear.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/home_warranty.html

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    [h=6]Home Warranty of America

So we got a home warranty for the house when we bought it because we knew it was older and things would go wrong. Just had a plumber come out after calling HWA. They said it would be a $75 deductible, which we were expecting.

Plumber comes out, fixes the toilet, but then HWA tells us it's not covered under the warranty because it hasn't been long enough that those parts should have warn out.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!? We bought the house. The house is 30 years old!!! This company is pathetic and has a history of ripping people off. Steer clear.
    [/h]
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/home_warranty.html

I bought a warranty from them on my last house. Had some A/C problems at the 10 month mark (from when I bought the house) and it more than paid for itself.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Warranties would not exist if they did not make a profit for the ones selling them. Granted there are is a risk by not having one, but the companies that sell them sit down and figure what the odds are of them losing money. And they set the price of the warranty based off of those figures. Ifits profitable for them it is not going to be for you.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    These companies are all borderline fraudulent. If it makes you feel any better, we got scammed once, too.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There are both good things and bad things with ANY home warranties. Read the fine print!

When they save you money they are great! But when the deductible continues to rise on a yearly sliding scale, you have to re-evaluate.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I have American home shield and love them. It does cost $500/yr but I've had a hit water heater and 3 AC repairs! My parents have them.too and.its.saved them 3 AC units. It great if.you have an older home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Warranties would not exist if they did not make a profit for the ones selling them. Granted there are is a risk by not having one, but the companies that sell them sit down and figure what the odds are of them losing money. And they set the price of the warranty based off of those figures. Ifits profitable for them it is not going to be for you.

Big +1. To clarify, I've purchase home warrenties on my last two houses when I bought them to protect me from having any huge hidden costs. Have never kept them going after the first year. In general warrenties are a bad deal.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    There are both good things and bad things with ANY home warranties. Read the fine print!

When they save you money they are great! But when the deductible continues to rise on a yearly sliding scale, you have to re-evaluate.

challenge them to show you the part of the contract that excludes the work done in your claim.

I have to check for myself when I get home, but I asked my wife to look over the contract we have and I looked online for any mention of there being a required time period before they begin honoring the warranty. So far we haven't found a thing that says that.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have to check for myself when I get home, but I asked my wife to look over the contract we have and I looked online for any mention of there being a required time period before they begin honoring the warranty. So far we haven't found a thing that says that.

You asked your wife to read it? :doh:

Need we say anymore? :mamoru:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Until now, I've never heard of Home Warranty of America, but what they did sounds really sleazy. Most of our clients who get a home warranty (usually by negotiating that the seller pay for it) go with American Home Shield or Old Republic. Old Republic seems to offer more coverage, and at a better price. Recently, one of our clients got a complete new central AC system for the cost of a deductible!

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I owned a 50 year old house before I built and we had the warranty with Old Republic ($470/yr paid by the seller). I have to say that they went above and beyond. I called them about a week after our A/C was acting up and I tried troubleshooting it, it turns out our warranty expired during that week. But the person handling the claim took my word for it and had the work covered. Even once the work began it took several techs/companies to solve the issue and there was a lot of miscommunication between the contractors, extending the outage. But OR was adamant about setting things straight when I called about this and even waived the fee. Never had issues with disputing other claims either.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Until now, I've never heard of Home Warranty of America, but what they did sounds really sleazy. Most of our clients who get a home warranty (usually by negotiating that the seller pay for it) go with American Home Shield or Old Republic. Old Republic seems to offer more coverage, and at a better price. Recently, one of our clients got a complete new central AC system for the cost of a deductible!

Yeah, we had the seller pay for it. I just can't believe they would say "it hasn't been long enough for those parts to have gone bad" as though the house is brand new.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Yeah, we had the seller pay for it. I just can't believe they would say "it hasn't been long enough for those parts to have gone bad" as though the house is brand new.
    That to me is just a BS excuse to avoid paying a claim. I will definitely keep my eyes open for these assclowns, and warn anyone who mentions their name as a possible warranty provider. Sorry to hear about your troubles!

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I can't believe there are companies out there stupid enough to offer warranty on a 30 year old house. More reasons this coutry is in trouble because of stupid stuff like that.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I can't believe there are companies out there stupid enough to offer warranty on a 30 year old house. More reasons this coutry is in trouble because of stupid stuff like that.

It's just like offering car insurance to a 16 year old. If claims begin to outweigh premiums you increase premiums. They obviously manage to stay in business. If you know math it isn't that hard to figure out.

And usually sellers offer the warranty because it sweetens the pot for the homebuyer and only takes a small portion of the profit they (hopefully) stand to make. I don't know many (edit: any) people who buy home warranties for their homes.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I have American home shield and love them. It does cost $500/yr but I've had a hit water heater and 3 AC repairs! My parents have them.too and.its.saved them 3 AC units. It great if.you have an older home.

The 35yo town house I bought came with a prepaid contract w/American Home Shield. They have to approve of the work before they will pay for it. I was surprised it didn't cover my trash compactor and not as surprised it didn't cover my microwave oven.

It paid for itself with a/c repairs.
    :eh:

Top Bottom