Who is familiar with Permits in Baton Rouge?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I want to build a shop, my current shop is only 6' wide and difficult to move around in. I looked up permits and such, and from what I read you need the same survey to build a shop or garage as you need to build an entire house, that seems a little insane to me. I want a shop, but I was going to build it in the format of a detached two car garage so it could have value other than that of just a shop if we were to sell the house. I wasn't going to jump into this project either until October at earliest, but probably next February or March would be a more likely starting timeline. I just want to have everything lined up properly when I start.

Anyway, looks like a lot of people don't follow the permit laws, unless everyone putting up an "Accessory Building" over 10X12 is getting a permit....

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I want to build a shop, my current shop is only 6' wide and difficult to move around in. I looked up permits and such, and from what I read you need the same survey to build a shop or garage as you need to build an entire house, that seems a little insane to me. I want a shop, but I was going to build it in the format of a detached two car garage so it could have value other than that of just a shop if we were to sell the house. I wasn't going to jump into this project either until October at earliest, but probably next February or March would be a more likely starting timeline. I just want to have everything lined up properly when I sta

Anyway, looks like a lot of people don't follow the permit laws, unless everyone putting up an "Accessory Building" over 10X12 is getting a permit....

You might be better off moving from New Orleans North to The Free State of Livingston. :)

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Trust me. Everyone "putting up an 'Accessory Building' over 10X12" does not get a permit. Especially when they live in a neighborhood with no covenants or other building restrictions. I am in no way suggesting that you violate any ordinance/rule/regulation whatsoever. Just saying that it happens.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Trust me. Everyone "putting up an 'Accessory Building' over 10X12" does not get a permit. Especially when they live in a neighborhood with no covenants or other building restrictions. I am in no way suggesting that you violate any ordinance/rule/regulation whatsoever. Just saying that it happens.

My biggest issue is I want to put lots of 220 juice to it...

I know I will need a permit for electrical, however I suspect some of the electric run in my house was done without a permit. I was looking at options, I already have a 200amp panel, with all space used up. I was thinking using a feed through panel mounted next to the main panel that can be fed with the drop, and then through to the main panel.

I don't mind getting a permit, but wanting a survey to add a shop bigger than 120 SF is insane. I noticed when browsing the site you also need a permit to replace a door or repair or replace more than 25 feet of fencing... oops.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Why don't you contact the permit office and talk to them directly. Many times info on the web tries to be a one-size-fits-all solution.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I've been told that so long as it's a "portable building" then you don't need a permit. So make sure you build the foundation on skids. ;) That's what I did with my 12'x24' barn. As far as running the power, I think I'm going to make sure I do that one by the book and involve a permit and inspector.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Uhh, could you clarify? Any external door in a house? That seems pretty excessive.

Not that this would apply to me or anything... :squint:

Typical Situations That Require a Permit:

A new residence;
    Home additions and renovations;
    Any modification of floor plan or structural aspect;
    Covered patios;
    Any accessory structure over 120 square feet;
    Roofing & decking that exceeds 100 square feet;
    Solid fencing that is three feet or higher;
    Any fencing that is four feet or higher;
    Changing out or relocating a hot water heater;
    Changing out an air conditioning unit or components (excluding window units);
    Any electrical work;
    Pools, below and above ground;
    Gas line work;
    Sewer line work;
    Changing windows or doors;
    Installing generator or solar panels;
    Relocation of a House or Mobile Home;

I agree, excessive.

I kind of want something with a concrete foundation. I am putting some pretty heavy stuff in the shop.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Before you get too far along, make sure you don't have a problem running your leather business in a residential area.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I just had to jump through hoops and do a little jig in order to get a permit to build one of our projects in BR. It took two weeks for them to decide whether or not they wanted to allow a mausoleum to be built under flood elevation to match the building we were adding on to. No electricity, just a concrete honeycomb with a bunch of quiet residents! I hope this is our last job in BR or someone else does the permitting cause I never want to deal with the bureaucratic self important bullsh*t that BR makes you follow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom