Lightwieght drill reccomendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Lugging around a 8 lb hammer drill all day gets old quick. Im thinking of getting something that is less powerful and lighter weight for the less demanding parts of my work. it will be used everyday so cheapo crap wont happen. think dewalt, milwaukee, etc. any reccomendations? i was eyeing the new dewalt 20v

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I've been using a Bosch 9.2v lithium/ion hammer drill for about 2 years with good result. Supposed to have more torque than a standard 18v. Batteries recharge in 15 min. Light and only about the size of a 1911 (a little thicker, of course). Mine was <$200 at Lowe's with a 3 year mfg warranty.

I'm sold on Bosch. Bought their saber saw, also. Smoothest I've ever owned.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I've got one of the dewalt 20vs. Its pretty damn nice. Batteries last forever, charge quickly, good power, etc. etc. Where do you work that you need one all day?

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I run the dewalt 12v lithium ion and it is a beast for something that small and portable. Batteries last, and charge quick. There are a few of the 20v drills running around they are even more amazing. Love the lightweight.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Dewalt also makes an 18v compact we picked up on sale for $99. It came with two batteries and I prefer it to the hammer-drill style we used to use. It can also use the same batteries as the hammer-drill kind.

Bradb4178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Ruston / Baton Rouge
    The smaller makitas are incredible. Been using one for years. The 12v and 20v DeWalts are very nice as well. There was a sale on amazon a few days ago on bare Dewalt tools, like 40% off.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    The cordless impact drills are hard to beat. I've only used an 18V DeWalt but I'm sure they are all similar in weight, size and price. Ever since I got it, I've quit using the regular power drill all together.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    I bought the dewalt 20v hammer drill and the 20v brushless impact driver. The impact driver gets picked up more often than not. It also has 3 LEDs that stay on for 20 seconds which was a surprisingly useful feature.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    We had DeWalt 18v roto hammer and hammer drills where I worked. They were all good stuff. Only weakness the Dewalt Sawzall had was when you get the blade hung up in deer ribs it would sometimes pull the front gear half from the motor.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    Another for the Dewalt 20V line.

The only problem I've had with one is that it's not sawzaw resistant... luckily the dewalt store will replace the body for $15. Still not sure how that happened.

tas745

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    I am a Dewalt dealer and they just brought us in the new 20v products they are awesome. They have more power, they are more durable, and they are cheaper. Its a win all the way around.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Btw, I was able to get a car charger at the dewalt shop on airline for a little over $20 bucks along with a few other goodies for a pretty good price. I guess they felt sorry for me after seeing the sawzalled grip.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hammer drill, impact driver.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yea I picked up on that reading back but they are two different things. :dunno:

I just saw where he said he was doing Audio/Visual work so I assume he's talking Driver.

Not trying to be anal but if you just call into to a Hardware store Grainger/Napa etc and ask for an Impact to be delivered(I've done this often at past jobs) they'll most likely send you picture #2. If you ask for a Hammer Drill you'll get #1.

Just saying, from prior experience.

Also before I knew the difference I was working with my father law and we were knee deep in insulation in a dark corner of the attic at his business. He says to go get his Dewalt Drill at the Pig Farm near the feed grinder. So I crawl out(3 minutes) hop on the Side-by-Side, drive out to the hog farm(5 minutes) finally find the Dewalt Drill(3 minutes) Drive back(5 minutes) crawl back into the attic into the corner where he was waiting and like the good son-n-law I am I hand him what he asked for. The Dewalt Drill.......or so I thought….he said, "Well thanks for bringing the Driver numb-nuts, we'll need it later, now go back and get the Drill"..... :doh:
    oups-pardon-9877.gif

Hammer Drill;
    DeWALT-DW505K-rw-74026-20325.jpg

Impact;
    dewalt-impact-driver.jpg

Driver;
    193.jpg

I am a Dewalt dealer and they just brought us in the new 20v products they are awesome. They have more power, they are more durable, and they are cheaper. Its a win all the way around.

+1 We got the set too. The Driver is money! The small head is the biggest plus on these new Drivers IMO

Last edited:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Now, I've always been told that the second one is an impact wrench and the third is an impact driver. The wrench has the square head to accomodate torquing (wrench) bits and the driver has the locking hex-sheath to accomodate drill bits.

For the OP, despite all the confusion if you don't neep the HP of a hammer drill for tough materials, the impact driver is a good option.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Now, I've always been told that the second one is an impact wrench and the third is an impact driver. The wrench has the square head to accomodate torquing (wrench) bits and the driver has the locking hex-sheath to accomodate drill bits.

You're right. I didn't mean to put Driver on the end of Impact. Wrote that too early I guess. Most listed one's in Grainger etc do say Wrench on the end of the item description.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom