Warning, Safety Issue.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Very Important

please read !!!!! and HEED !!!!!!!

Please send this information to ALL your family & friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If this were to happen, they may not be able to get the children out in time.

MUST READ, EVEN IF YOU DON'T OWN A CAR.

Shell Oil Comments - A MUST READ!

Safety Alert!
    Here are some reasons why we don't allow cell phones in operating areas, propylene oxide handling and storage area, propane, gas and diesel refueling areas.

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car!

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

You should know that: Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes

Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition

Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling lawn mowers, boat, etc.

Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, (I.e., solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc...)

TO sum it up, here are the Four Rules for Safe Refueling:

1) Turn off engine
    2) Don't smoke
    3) Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off
    4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling.

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of 'static electricity' at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

His results were very surprising:

1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.

2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.

3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.

4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.

5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas

6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.

7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.

8) Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas.
    If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this danger.

I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time.

Turn off the phone when you drive into a service station, fill lawn mower etc.
    Thanks for passing this along.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I see a lot of officers sitting in their vehicles fueling up in the morning, Hope they will get this memo also.. Good read, and hope it will save someone from injury.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I see a lot of officers sitting in their vehicles fueling up in the morning, Hope they will get this memo also.. Good read, and hope it will save someone from injury.

I was going to comment on that, units running, lights on, 1,2, maybe 3 radio's going, computer on you name it

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Not a concern down here in new orleans, the humidity is too high to support the combustion.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Not a concern down here in new orleans, the humidity is too high to support the combustion.

Plus I've been led to believe that there has never in the history of Cell Phones, been a REAL incident of a Cell Phone causing ignition of any sort at a Gas Pump.

I still don't like to do it. It just seems wrong :p

It makes you wonder, why so much Gov. Influence and Stickers and Training etc? over a Myth? Hmm ...

Snopes says this FLASE e-mail has been around since 2002'
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Myth Busters;

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You should also avoid cranking your car/having it on (even accessory-mode), because the tail-lights and their connectors near the gas-pump get current enough to ignite gas. You need to push your car to the pump.

Also avoid doing this too soon, as the catalytic converters are very hot after driving. You need to let the car sit for a while first.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    It is also impossible to ignite gasoline with a lit cigarette, as far as I can tell. I have tried for years, in well controlled tests, and have never found a way to make it happen.

Static discharge, on the other hand. Is a serious danger when refueling. The only real one I have been able to verify.

A running engine will never do it, unless the car backfires, and when was the last time you heard a car backfire?

Of those four rules, only #4 is really needed. Unless your car is a junker, then #1 would apply also.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    There used to be a lot of safety classes on fire safety. A combustible gas will ignite only if the concentration in air is between the lower and upper explosive limits, which, for gasoline, is about 2-8% in air, and there is a source of ignition.

If you fill a glass beaker full or almost full of gasoline, you can douse a cigarette in it as the concentration is below the LEL. You have to know what you are doing.

I would not want to be in an environment that was within the explosive limits.

When I was in the Army 50y ago, it was a big deal to ground the vehicle to the dispensing nozzle before fueling.
    :ohreally:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I saw James Bond use this phone yesterday in "Tomorrow Never Dies" that would have definitely set off gas fumes.

unlocking-phoneTND.jpg

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    in the navy they ground the aircraft to the flight deck because of static as well

Aircraft is a bit different I think. I can remember during Night Ops being able to see the Static Electricity being created from the Rotor Blades. I don't think our vehicles produce near that amount, nor is gasoline near as flammable as Aircraft Fuel.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Aircraft is a bit different I think. I can remember during Night Ops being able to see the Static Electricity being created from the Rotor Blades. I don't think our vehicles produce near that amount, nor is gasoline near as flammable as Aircraft Fuel.

I would say gas is more that something like JP4

Hey Charliepapa what do you think?

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky

Do you have the flash points for the two?

Aircraft can pick up a lot of static electricity during flight. I'm told the little aluminum thingees trailing from the wing help discharge it in flight. Also, a/c are grounded to the fueling vehicle.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    in the navy they ground the aircraft to the flight deck because of static as well

In the Navy they also dress up the new Ordinance guys in full rubber suits, complete w/ masks, and make them ground the trolley they roll the ordinance around on... with a grounding probe being drug on the ground in hand. Hilarious.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom