Get a second medical opinion before hitting the bucket list

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/213571/bucketlist-spend-sends-couple-broke

A couple are $80,000 in debt after he was wrongly diagnosed with terminal cancer and they spent heavily achieving a rapidly compiled bucketlist.
    Frank, 69, and Wilma, 65, who don't want their surname published, say they had "nothing to lose" after Frank was told in May 2010 that he had only a few months to live.

The medical advice turned out to be wrong and though they are happy Frank is alive, their quality of life has been eroded by a spending spree, which included trips to Australia and Fiji.

Frank had part of his lung removed following a brush with cancer, and after chemotherapy started getting chest pains and was short of breath.

He had an ultrasound done and fluid was taken from his pericardium - a tissue sac which surrounds the heart - for testing. A month later he was given the devastating news it was likely the cancer had returned to his heart and he only had a few months to live.

So Frank and Wilma did what many people would do - they made every day count.

Frank, who used to own a handyman business in Auckland, gave away $30,000 worth of tools, fishing gear, a quad bike, clothes and household items.

They sold their house in Wairoa at a loss of $70,000 and cancelled the health insurance.

Frank began smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee after quitting during his first cancer diagnosis.

The couple went to Fiji for 10 days.

They blew $30,000 on food, a five-star resort and fishing activities, expecting his life insurance to cover the costs.

"We had a good time. We spent too much money on food, going around New Zealand and then a business which fell down," Wilma said.

"What would you do in this situation? If he said jump I would jump ... I was putting him first, whatever he wanted, he got.

"I'm short on my credit cards for $80,000 and the money we had left went on a business and that didn't work out so we are broke."

On their way home they stopped off in Australia to visit their daughter and two grandchildren.

Then they headed back to Wairoa and waited for Frank to die.

Every morning Wilma would get up wondering if today was the day.

But every morning Frank would be feeling fit and healthy. His weight remained the same and his health was not deteriorating as predicted by doctors.

"If the pain got too bad I was going to kill myself, but the pain never came ... everyone was surprised I was still alive," Frank said.

It was not until their hospice carer came for his monthly check-up - 23 months after Frank was told he was on his way out - that they discovered the terrible mistake.

"He said, 'I'm here for the last time', and I said, 'Why'? He said, 'Well you don't have cancer'. We looked at each other and he said, 'Don't you know'?"

Frank had had another ultrasound test in December 2011 - and this cleared him of cancer. But it was not until the hospice worker told him in February that he knew he was in the clear. They don't know why the hospital didn't tell them earlier.

The hospital has acknowledged it made an error, but says it made the right call based on the evidence at the time.

"The consensus at the time from all the doctors, including the oncologist involved in Frank's care, was that, sadly, there was a high likelihood or little doubt of a recurrence of the lung cancer," Hawke's Bay Hospital respiratory physician Dr Rob Armstrong said in a statement. "In this instance, thankfully, we were wrong but we can't yet rule out a recurrence of cancer in the future."

They had based that on excessive fluid and blood around his heart, an initial ultrasound result and his previous health condition.

"Occasionally where diagnosis is difficult and complicated by other medical conditions, like in this case, we can be wrong."

Wilma said they've lost faith in the health system and refused to get medical care.

A claim has been lodged with ACC and the error is being investigated by the Health and Disability Commission

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Bucket list, they were doing it wrong.
    Living it up so insurance could pay debt - should be illegal
    Third near-screw up.... Life insurance policies have a suicide clause

Idiots

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    The Farrrr reaching fingers of usamacare

That could never happen to me, if I went on a spending spree there'd be an extra six pak at best.

Guy didn't do bad for a handyman

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It ain't just old folks!

I've got a handful of guys playing this game with their recent Mid-Life Motorcycle Crisis. Running debt sky high while saying, (LITERALLY I’ve heard this come out of their mouth) "F*ck it, my kids or someone will pay for it if I die." Pisses me off!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    It ain't just old folks!

I've got a handful of guys playing this game with their recent Mid-Life Motorcycle Crisis. Running debt sky high while saying, (LITERALLY I’ve heard this come out of their mouth) "F*ck it, my kids or someone will pay for it if I die." Pisses me off!

Good name ...never heard it called that

My mid life m/c crisis was whan I realized I didn't have the reflexes to ride like I wanted to anymore.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    so because you're dying, you think you can ruin a business and leave debt for your children to pay? reminds me of the topic WWL had this morning about motorcycle helmets and the law.. people want the freedom to ride without a motorcycle helmet, but those same people come crying to the ER with no insurance and expect the taxpayer to pay for things

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    It ain't just old folks!

It's funny how people feel others should pay for their bad behavior. Never themselves. Today's society has this everyone owes me something mindset. I personally feel it started with the federal welfare/entitlement programs that are gradually sinking. People can't just reach around and start pulling 20's out their ass. They have to get up off their ass and earn it. There are some examples of able bodied people getting checks on this site that could be productive if they so chose...

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    It's funny how people feel others should pay for their bad behavior. Never themselves. Today's society has this everyone owes me something mindset. I personally feel it started with the federal welfare/entitlement programs that are gradually sinking. People can't just reach around and start pulling 20's out their ass. They have to get up off their ass and earn it. There are some examples of able bodied people getting checks on this site that could be productive if they so chose...

AMEN !

leVieux

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA

I hear ya.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    It's a sad state of affairs, no? About to go get another app to fill, and check with the guy at the gym tomorrow.

Didn't Cicero have something to say about how the state will go bankrupt trying to fund programs just like these?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

+1

Dumb bastard. Now he has plenty of time to pay his debt off.

Instead, he's probably going to cost the world MORE trouble by suing the facility and MD's who made a diagnosis in good faith to the best of their ability at the time when the credit-card debt gets to be more than he wants to deal with. Further, they have "lost faith in the health system". Why? Because they think someone was...irresponsible...?

*sigh*

It's not my fault...I swear. They made me spend it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    +1

Dumb bastard. Now he has plenty of time to pay his debt off.

Instead, he's probably going to cost the world MORE trouble by suing the facility and MD's who made a diagnosis in good faith to the best of their ability at the time when the credit-card debt gets to be more than he wants to deal with. Further, they have "lost faith in the health system". Why? Because they think someone was...irresponsible...?

*sigh*

It's not my fault...I swear. They made me spend it.

This wasn't in the US...probably won't even cost you as much as a gallon of fuel for your jet car.

So ...gittin this strait, you don't think patients have a right to get damages from a wrong diagnosis ???...what field are you in AGAIN ??? :wavey:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Like I tell everyone who speaks of "x-months to live"...

If the doctor tells you that your loved one has 6 months and they die in 5, they're the bad guy. If they say 6 months and your family member lives for 6 years, they're a genius/miracle worker.

Also, never forget... as with teachers, LEO, stock brokers, lawyers, garbage men and (quite regularly) politicians... There are plenty of incompetent people out there, whether they have spent large chunks of their life in school... or not. ;)

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    What was ole Wilma going to do if Frank had died on schedule ? All their assets were gone, and they had run up plenty of debt. Did she have a new career lined up ?

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area

+1 and Amen.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    This wasn't in the US...probably won't even cost you as much as a gallon of fuel for your jet car.

So ...gittin this strait, you don't think patients have a right to get damages from a wrong diagnosis ???...what field are you in AGAIN ??? :wavey:

Dawg I disagree. People make mistakes. Both sides of the argument. Yes, the physician made a mistake. So did the patient. One of several reasons reasons medicine in the US is so expensive are situations like this. The doctor did not tell the man to act irresponsibly. Only there was a likely hood the cancer returned. Jesus Christ. Due diligence. Look it up.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    What was ole Wilma going to do if Frank had died on schedule ? All their assets were gone, and they had run up plenty of debt. Did she have a new career lined up ?

Wilma probably had a huge life insurance policy on hubby's ass or a cabanna boy on the side.

Top Bottom