New lightbulbs comes with EPA instructions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Yeah the CFL bulbs are bad ju ju. I'll stick with incandescents for the time being, and wait till LEDs' come down in price and up in quality. Home depot accepts the CFLs' for recycling purposes at least.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The light bulb industry has been scamming us since its inception. They actually researched how to make the bulbs stop working at a certain number of hours! There are some old bulbs that have been running over 100 years. Only reason we don't have more is because companies engineered bulbs to fail.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    The light bulb industry has been scamming us since its inception. They actually researched how to make the bulbs stop working at a certain number of hours! There are some old bulbs that have been running over 100 years. Only reason we don't have more is because companies engineered bulbs to fail.

Planned obsolescense. There are some devices that literally have counters on them and after so many units of activity they'll stop working. Some people haev created downloads that fix them.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    At an old job we got a safety e-mail about these bulbs where a guy was coming down from a ladder and stepped on one. Lost plenty of mass from his foot due to mercury poisoning. You could see all the bones and tendons and even see straight through to the other side of his foot.

Last edited:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I like my Sylvania LEDs more and more already. Dimmable, reliable, warranty, bright, no projected heat (although the heatsink gets pretty hot) and energy efficient. I've cut the energy bill by about 25% with less than half the house converted.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I see a catch-22, here. Gov't forces us to buy these bulbs. Gov't then lists us as potential terrorists in possession of toxic substances. Hmmmm.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You would have to break 50 of them with your teeth and BREATHE DEEP to even have the slightest chance of getting sick.

Just more :run: to think about.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    You would have to break 50 of them with your teeth and BREATHE DEEP to even have the slightest chance of getting sick.

Just more :run: to think about.

Not sure if this is in criticism of my post but yes the risk of injury from inhaling it is low, due to the vapor pressure of mercury. But the article I mentioned was a case where the guy had liquid mercury enter an open wound (created by the glass). I may have exagerrated a little when I said you could see through his foot but it's been a while since I saw it. Photo below.

Warning, GRAPHIC.

Mercury+exposed+feet.tiff

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Not sure if this is in criticism of my post but yes the risk of injury from inhaling it is low, due to the vapor pressure of mercury. But the article I mentioned was a case where the guy had liquid mercury enter an open wound (created by the glass). I may have exagerrated a little when I said you could see through his foot but it's been a while since I saw it. Photo below.

Nope. That's why I didn't quote anyone :)

My post was aimed at the GAS side of the argument.

However that picture is defintely interesting. Gives me an idea for a Safety Class at work. Any more details?

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Nope. That's why I didn't quote anyone :)

My post was aimed at the GAS side of the argument.

However that picture is defintely interesting. Gives me an idea for a Safety Class at work. Any more details?

Once I googled it, it turns out it's a pretty popular story for safety lessons...it wasn't anyone we knew through work or anything. That was one job ago also so I don't have the e-mail. BUT, on a google search for an article to share with you, I came across the snopes.com article first:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/cfl.asp

Turns out our safety man, along with many others, may have been duped, as the status is "undetermined." I'm not volunteering for verification though. :D

Long story short, whether it's true or not I'd avoid stepping on the glass anyway, right?

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Once I googled it, it turns out it's a pretty popular story for safety lessons...it wasn't anyone we knew through work or anything. That was one job ago also so I don't have the e-mail. BUT, on a google search for an article to share with you, I came across the snopes.com article first:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/cfl.asp

Turns out our safety man, along with many others, may have been duped, as the status is "undetermined." I'm not volunteering for verification though. :D

Long story short, whether it's true or not I'd avoid stepping on the glass anyway, right?

Right! the 4 foot bulbs are very thin and sharp too. Depending on how they break and fall could be very dangerous. I witnessed a guy hit one on accident in an office with a plastic ball bat. When he connected with it above his head he heard the pop and just froze while the glass came down on top of him. Then just like that he looked at his hand and it was bleeding, big time! Dude had a good 1 1/2 inch long almost half inch gaping hole on top his hand between his wrist and back pinky knuckle. It was like surgically cut. No rips just a perfect slice. In fact months later the slice was so clean he barely had a scar.

So yea it can be dangerous.

We recycle them at work. What's bad is they collect them in a 4 foot 21inch cylindrical cardboard container. It's highly unstable but awkward if laid down so folks tend to roll them like a drum. If you drop one *KABOOM*! One will burst and the others will follow instantly. Well when it happens the Container implodes in on itself. It's very a very unique sight to see.

Similar to this;

Top Bottom