First Home Build Suggestions/Advice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparky_benton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    closed cell foam insulation. you cant go wrong. also where your t v is going double cable and a phone line that way you are covered.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wasn't thinking structural improvements. Reinforce the connection of the walls to the slab and the walls to the roof. Also the roof decking to the rafters. Find out what kind of washers they're using on that metal roof. Those things dry rot sometimes and are a pain to change. Not to mention they instantly start leaking. If you decide to do a shingle roof instead look into the class 4 shingles (rubber based instead of asphalt so they're hail resistant).

Find the base flood elevation for the area (ask your parish planning and zoning office) and then build 4 feet above that.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    -Add 15% on top of your budget for overages
    -If you are interested in AV equipment, run lots of wire before the walls go up it is cheap. I would run at least 2 cat5/6 and 2 rg6 to every tv in the house back to a main can. On the same note, run cat5/6 to where ever you think you want internet. It is way faster than wireless.

-Lots of recessed lighting in every room, again fairly cheap to add before the walls go up.
    -Spend a couple bucks extra on nice toilets(no flappers)
    -under cabinet lighting in the kitchen/shop

I may go against the grain on this one, but having spent the money on spray foam in my last house, I don't think it is worth the extra money. My energy bills were still 400+ a month with Low e windows and a high efficiency AC system. I am in the middle of a complete gut and remodel now and I am going to use fiberglass and blown in insulation.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    It is so stupidly small and insignificant. A electric outlet in the center of your living area, behind the sofa or next to your recliner. Even if you don't think you'll need it. Sometimes you want to put a table with a small lamp, an ipad charger,cordless phone, a Christmas tree...

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    3fifty7;1043485[B said:
    ]If you are going to put a flat screen tv in the den move the outlets and cable up to 5ft so they will be covered by said tv[/B].

Put a urinal and water fountian in the shop/garage.

Spray in foam insulation.

Additionally, before the drywall is put in run some HDMI, ethernet, ESATA, audio cables etc.. through the framing from where your cable box/receiver/consoles etc... will be to where the TV will be. Either that or run some pvc conduit so you can force wires through in the future.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    +1 on the conduit for cat5 and other A/V cables.
    It makes adding additional cable much easier.
    Cat 5 is relatively cheap, put a jack, or at least a conduit and box drop, on every wall.
    Even if you never use the drop for cat5 you could use it for other used later.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I'm going to be using cinder blocks with rebar and filled with concrete and a safe door. Thanks though

Not applicable to down here unless you build an ICF house but a buddy had two each walls poured in a corner of his basement then got the concrete place down the road to sell him 5 short slabs of bridge concrete. Solid as a rock. He cheaped out on the door though and regrets that and the lack of humidity control.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    -Add 15% on top of your budget for overages
    -If you are interested in AV equipment, run lots of wire before the walls go up it is cheap. I would run at least 2 cat5/6 and 2 rg6 to every tv in the house back to a main can. On the same note, run cat5/6 to where ever you think you want internet. It is way faster than wireless.

-Lots of recessed lighting in every room, again fairly cheap to add before the walls go up.
    -Spend a couple bucks extra on nice toilets(no flappers)
    -under cabinet lighting in the kitchen/shop

I may go against the grain on this one, but having spent the money on spray foam in my last house, I don't think it is worth the extra money. My energy bills were still 400+ a month with Low e windows and a high efficiency AC system. I am in the middle of a complete gut and remodel now and I am going to use fiberglass and blown in insulation.

...one thing to add here. I have a old poorly poorly insulated house with crap doors and windows. Pretty sure some walls have no insulation. My A/C bills are only a couple hundred usually in July and August. The only thing I have going is 30 ft Live Oak and 40ft Magnolia shading the house. My A/C guy agrees as he said my attic is easily the coolest he goes in. A lot with mature trees can be a god-send.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    Ball valves on the outside as mentioned is a great idea. I would add, be sue an outlet is on all exterior walls. Our contractor only put two and we immediately needed more. I would also run additional water to the perimeter of the useable yard and weatherproof outlets. I ran three myself years later and it was a PITA.

Top Bottom