First Home Build Suggestions/Advice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    I'm going to be building my first home shortly. I'm building a 100'X40' metal building with 10'x100" overhangs off the front and back. 45'x40' will be living area and the rest will be my shop. 3 bedroom/2 bath, open living room/kitchen area and a utility room. The ceiling in the living room/kitchen area will be a cypress cathedral style so I will have a lot of wall space for mounts. I'm going to do stained concrete for the flooring. I plan on living here for a long time but plan on building a traditional home in front of it one day down the road and I will still have my shop/mancave. I'm going to start picking out lighting and plumbing fixtures this week. I am going to be building a walk in gunsafe and plan on using a tankless water heater. Those are just two sugesstions made to me by other people, so what are some other suggestions that you wish you would have done when building your home or that you are glad you've done? Thanks

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Something I didn't do, but will do. (A contractor built my house)

Outlets everywhere, even if you say you won't need an outlet somewhere, put one. This includes high on a wall as well.

People may think I'm dumb, but I hate running 50ft extension cords when an outlet could have been put somewhere more convent.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Yep. But I think code has fixed that now. But more on the outside also.
    Same thing with exterior faucets.

Gas powered generator on a raised platform. Quieted (sound surround) if possible. RV power and sewer hookups for guests.
    Cable hookups outside.

car lift on the back porch?
    stained concrete doesn't seem to hold up as well as advertised. Laminate isn't very expensive and looks nice.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    If you are going to put a flat screen tv in the den move the outlets and cable up to 5ft so they will be covered by said tv.

Put a urinal and water fountian in the shop/garage.

Spray in foam insulation.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If you have natural gas, put an outlet on the back porch for a barbecue pit. I put a quick connect on mine and can roll it into the garage when needed, and I don't have to mess with tanks. And I decided where I wanted to hang the tv's in the bedroom and strengthened the walls. I also put the outlet and cable up there so it was easy to hook up.

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I've had stained concrete 7 years. Love it. The key is a good solvent based sealer. Acrylics require more maintenance. If it is subject to wear, periodically mop on a sacrificial layer of something like Mop n Glo. Should be good to go.

Tell your concrete finisher that you want tight trowel, not burnished. That is optimum for staining.

One other option to consider, since you're pouring a new slab: Admixture. The concrete die is throughout, the color will never wear off. You can also incorporate powdered dye as it is being troweled. Also more permanent.

If you score the concrete for the illusion of tile, then grout the grooves just as you would tile.

Always wondered why folks who have enough land don't put doors on the back of their garage also. Drive thru, no backing.

Ball valves on exterior water outlets. Faster, easier on and off.

Friend of mine insulated all walls in his master bedroom for privacy. Incredibly quiet in there, (at least when he's sleeping).

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If it's going to end up being a man cave in the future, are you sure you want to chew up a bunch of space with 3 bedrooms? I'd do the biggest kitchen/living room you can. At the very least I'd design it so that when you build your house you can come back and knock down the walls between the bedrooms and the living room to make one big party area.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    If you are going to put a flat screen tv in the den move the outlets and cable up to 5ft so they will be covered by said tv.

Put a urinal and water fountian in the shop/garage.

Spray in foam insulation.

Tvs belong at eye level, not 5 foot up.

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    The front porch is more for looks than anything and to keep the rain off the cypress on the front and the back porch is going to be for storage of lumber, metal material, and other things that I don't want in plain sight. I plan on putting a car lift inside the shop. I would love to be able to drive through the shop but the land behind my 3 acres isn't mine yet it's family land but will be mine in the future and there is a drainage canal behind where the shop will be. If I move the shop forward enough to drive through then it would make my future house too close to the road. So what I plan on doing is putting a dyke across the drainage and making it drive through down the road when the land behind is mine.

If it's going to end up being a man cave in the future, are you sure you want to chew up a bunch of space with 3 bedrooms? I'd do the biggest kitchen/living room you can. At the very least I'd design it so that when you build your house you can come back and knock down the walls between the bedrooms and the living room to make one big party area.

Its going to have a big open area but I may be here for a while and if I end up having kids before I'm ready to move out of it I need the room. I also am going to use one of the bedrooms for my reloading/hunting stuff room.

I'm going Post my home made floor plans this evening and maybe yall can see how I'm going to lay it out and maybe make some changes or suggestions.

Thanks for the help everybody keep them coming.

Last edited:

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'm thinking about building or buying also. My house is big enough but I have an open floor plan and don't care for it. My mom has been living with us for almost a year now because of the economy and when you have the kitchen and living room open to each other it can be very loud while trying to watch your favorite episode of Guns and Ammo, football, etc.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    BOTH electric AND gas outlets at location of stove(s) and dryer(s).
    Soundproofing insulation in interior walls.
    In-wall pest preventatives which may be recommended by those with more knowledge about that than I.

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    I'm thinking about building or buying also. My house is big enough but I have an open floor plan and don't care for it. My mom has been living with us for almost a year now because of the economy and when you have the kitchen and living room open to each other it can be very loud while trying to watch your favorite episode of Guns and Ammo, football, etc.

I see how that can be a problem, but if I don't leave it open the room won't really work out for my mounts but maybe when y'all see the layout y'all might be able to tell me a better way or that it's all wrong lol. I'll post it later

shroom14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    prairieville ,la
    I have a friend that is a plumber he has told me stay away from tank-less/ instant water heaters. They have more maintenance issues

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    When you think your master closet is big enough, IT ISN'T! ;) Take what you have designed and increase by at least 50%. +11ty billion on insulation on interior master bedroom walls. I wish I had used double acoustic sheetrock as well.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    When you think your master closet is big enough, IT ISN'T! ;) Take what you have designed and increase by at least 50%. +11ty billion on insulation on interior master bedroom walls. I wish I had used double acoustic sheetrock as well.

That reminds me. A solid core door, too.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Make a secure room for your gun related stuff . 2x6 's on 6 inch centers . 3/4 inch plywood screwed to the studs and drywall over that . Commercial metal framed door .

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    Make a secure room for your gun related stuff . 2x6 's on 6 inch centers . 3/4 inch plywood screwed to the studs and drywall over that . Commercial metal framed door .

I'm going to be using cinder blocks with rebar and filled with concrete and a safe door. Thanks though

Top Bottom