Cabela's Hometown Heroes - veterans get employee discount June 27-29

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    Last edited:

zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    I did a Google search after I started this thread because I was wondering the same thing... it's not looking good.

Everything I found says that employees get decent discounts on clothing and stuff... but guns/ammo is <10% off.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    I'm must be misunderstanding you.
    I suggested Lowes has the 10% Military discount, all the time, as I feel all business should do, not to just front a 3 day event, like Cabelas is doing...
    My good friend is a Vet, and he frequents Lowes, and they ask to see his ID, which I think is his VA card, or something.

I'm just not understanding this whole phrase, including the roll eyes smilie.
    Is it disrespect, or questiong a possible motive, on my part?
    Probably be like a lot of places "honoring" Veterans, they want you so show a military ID. :rolleyes:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I think you have to turn your military ID in when you leave. Is that what you're getting at Charlie?

Yes it is. A lot of places want to honor Vets and don't know **** about it. Seems like every year for Veterans Day restaurants offer a free meal or part of the meal to Veterans. Then you read the fine print and it tells you a military ID is required. They want to honor us but don't know **** about it.
    I'm a U.S. Army Veteran and haven't had a Military ID since Oct. 1974.

Last year on Veterans Day Lone Star Restaurant sent email advertisement about coming to get a free appetizer and they had the deal about Military ID required.
    So I emailed them and explained that they were excluding hundreds of thousand of Veterans with that requirement because we don't have Military ID's anymore.

So I got emails from the President of Lone star thanking me for pointing out the problem. When I went into the restaurant the Manager told me that my email went all the way to the top on the company and got their nation wide policy changed.

Below is how it changed.

From this

Lonestar2.jpg

To this.

Lonestar.jpg

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'm must be misunderstanding you.
    I suggested Lowes has the 10% Military discount, all the time, as I feel all business should do, not to just front a 3 day event, like Cabelas is doing...
    My good friend is a Vet, and he frequents Lowes, and they ask to see his ID, which I think is his VA card, or something.

I'm just not understanding this whole phrase, including the roll eyes smilie.
    Is it disrespect, or questiong a possible motive, on my part?

No I'm sorry I didn't explain it to you, I hope my post above does.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Do you, as a Vet, have a VA card?
    I need to eyeball his ID again, (I could obviously be wrong) but I think that is what it is, and they accept it as military ID, when he presents it.

I do think something ought to show you served, as a means of keeping someone, non-military, from walking in claiming to be military, and asking for the discount.
    But, as I don't know how one is identified as you previously mentioned, I also wouldn't know how to enforce it, either.
    I'm just thinking of the freeloaders out there getting what you should be getting, IOW.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    How about dog tags. I don't carry my DD 214 around but usually have my dog tag on my key ring.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Do you, as a Vet, have a VA card?
    I need to eyeball his ID again, (I could obviously be wrong) but I think that is what it is, and they accept it as military ID, when he presents it.

I do think something ought to show you served, as a means of keeping someone, non-military, from walking in claiming to be military, and asking for the discount.
    But, as I don't know how one is identified as you previously mentioned, I also wouldn't know how to enforce it, either.
    I'm just thinking of the freeloaders out there getting what you should be getting, IOW.

No I don't have a VA card. I think you only get it if you sign up for it.
    I would rather give out a few meals than to exclude a million Vets.

How about dog tags. I don't carry my DD 214 around but usually have my dog tag on my key ring.

Anybody can buy dog tags so that wouldn't help. I don't carry my DD 214 either

With as much money as the government waste the could give every Veteran a ID

Top Bottom