Dog and Cat lovers, you have a new section

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J

jayd

Got pets and wanna show 'em off?

K-9s, Birddog training, livestock?

Here's the place for it

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    This is Tasha
    5275a7de.jpg

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Heres my Sadie I picked up last Wednesday. After loosing my chocolate female after 8 yrs of being my best friend, I needed another hunting companion.

177647d8.jpg

RIP, dearly missed Cami.
    102_0633.jpg

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Heres my Sadie I picked up last Wednesday. After loosing my chocolate female after 8 yrs of being my best friend, I needed another hunting companion.

177647d8.jpg

RIP, dearly missed Cami.
    102_0633.jpg

Sorry to hear that :( She looks great. Best of luck with your new companion.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Thanks, she was one heck of a hunting partner. No matter how cold or how rough the hunting was, she didn't quit. She never let me down. I always got my birds back. She was the first dog I ever had that would dive under the water to retrieve a woodduck or teal that would dive. Her first hunt was at 7 months old on the Calcasieu River. I shot a woodie flying up the river. I sent her and right before she got to it, it dove. The duck would come up a little ways from her and she'd go after it again. After a few minutes, I was getting worried she was gonna burn out fighting the current and the duck had her swimming in circles. The duck popped up a few feet in front of her and when the duck went down, she went under too. She came up with that woodie in her mouth and delivered it too me still alive. I truly miss her and I know this season its gonna be hard not having her in the blind with me. We'll see what Sadie turns out to be. Her training will begin Thursday.

102_0562.jpg

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    That's awesome. I'm getting mine around the end of October. Give me about a year to get some training in him and some experience under my own belt (never bird hunted before). Very anxious to get started.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Well good luck with the pup. Make sure you build a strong bond with the pup. After that, just keep the training fun and put extra time in on obedience training. No matter how good a dog can retrieve, if the dogs not controllable with good blind manners, it can ruin a hunt fast. Your best bet is to find people around you to train with. It will make it 100 x easier on you and the pup.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Looks just like my Stella Bones. :D (meant to quote skinny)

5dae70d4.jpg

She's fat and lazy these days.

6.jpg

This is George Killian.

3.jpg

4c3fc2f1.jpg

Sorry to hear about your lab LSU. :(

Last edited:
    G

gunguy11

This is my hunting buddy and best friend.
    His name is Luke.
    A dog is the only thing that loves you more than they love themselves.
    0f0a315d.png

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I was getting worried she was gonna burn out

I've heard some personal stories of folks Retrievers swimming for up to 45 minutes. Of course all other sorts of factors are relevant. Just saying. I know I too had not put much thought into this and began to wonder. Looking around I found it common for lake Hunters to have their dogs in the water swimming against winter wind for 10 to 15 up to 20 minutes at a time only for the dog to come back in, and be sent on a follow up retrieve. I think it's safe to say we underestimate just how long they can tread water. Especially since there is more than one story of dogs being lost at sea to be found treading water hours later. You just never know. I suppose it's b/c it LOOKS like they are swimming hard so it looks like they would tire out easily. Meh, who knows. I do know that I'm much more comfortable now having my dog in the water for 10 minutes or less without worrying if I'm about to have to jump in and save him lol To the person without a clue how long they can actually swim, 2 minutes feels like a LIFETIME! lol

BTW you wouldn't happen to know a Dennis Sonnier from Vidrine would you?

Last edited:

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I am Dennis Sonnier.

I think what made me nervous was her being a 6 month old puppy on her first hunting retieve chasing a wounded duck in the river current. But over the years, she has made some pretty amazing retrieves I never expected her to make. She was a much better retriever than I was a trainer.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom