Fig thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'll keep my preening to one thread. We adopted a cairn terrier. Not familiar? Toto in the original Wizard of Oz was a cairn. They're ground hunters, going after things that burrow. So they can be quite tenacious. But they're also one of the more family oriented terrier breeds which was our prime requisite. They originate from Scotland.

No photos yet but Mom is in labor this morning! Hopefully by tonight I'll have a photo of our Fig. :)

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    These were taken at some point today. They are just a little less than twenty four hours old. I don't know which one is mine, nor if I'm getting a female or male. Because she breeds to show, she will evaluate as time goes on unless it's something obvious at birth (a crooked tail, a wonky ear, inconsistent color patterns). But somewhere in this bunch of squirming puppies is our next family member, or two. :)

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Congrats. Our family welcomes you and yours into our badger free lands. I find a majority of terriers to be highly intelligent. It took a week for our Scotty to bell train us. We have a bell tied to a ribbon hanging nose height from the door knob. Everytime we took her out we brushed her nose up against the bells to ring them. Now when she wants to go, she just rings her bell.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Congrats. Our family welcomes you and yours into our badger free lands. I find a majority of terriers to be highly intelligent. It took a week for our Scotty to bell train us. We have a bell tied to a ribbon hanging nose height from the door knob. Everytime we took her out we brushed her nose up against the bells to ring them. Now when she wants to go, she just rings her bell.

I had been looking at all of the Scottish terriers. The West Highland, Skye, Cairn and Scotty. The West Highland was our second dog choice if I couldn't find a cairn. Our Cairn breeder said they were a good one, but they turn green if you let them roll in the grass much. Since her primary hobby with the cairns is to show, this was a major deal. I laughed. The skye's aren't too family friendly, they're the typical snippy terrier that turn some people off. The Cairn used to be called the short haired skye because technically they both came from the Skye region but when they gained popularity as a recognized owners/breeders club, the Skye association took offense, and the name was changed.

We looked at so many breeds, and I really wanted to fall in love with the Irish breeds because we're an Irish family but ultimately the Scots terriers just had everything we were looking for in this type of dog. I still want a family pet that loves the kids, and is equally adaptable at warning off intruders. I'm leaning towards a boxer but Jody wanted something smaller in the lap sized companion package. You can curl up with a 60 lb dog, but I just don't think you can cuddle under the covers as much as we have enjoyed with our 12lb Mutt that just passed. There was something extremely special about wiggling our toes in her fur as we drifted off to sleep and woke up in the mornings. :)

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    They let an in-titled Sire breed her!?

Cure little dogs though.

He's titled in Canada, and he might be younger than she is. If I understand it correctly, it's a matter of accumulating enough points to gain Grand Champion. Means she's just won more than he has. If he hasn't been shown as much, there's not any way he can become "grand" yet. If you look at Ginger's parents and grands, they have stronger title holdings than Izzy's.

I'm pretty secure in this breeder. I told her I chose her primarily because she has a champion. She stopped me right there and said she appreciated the vote of confidence but show breeders can be just as unscrupulous as backyard breeders. She's helped educate me along the way. I've also done some reading and completely neutral cairn books have mentioned some of these kennels in the pedigree as some of the front runners that have helped the cairn breed in the US/Canada.

Oh okay, this makes sense. I was sort of correct… The grand champion is a recent avenue that the AKC has voted to implement for normally retired dogs after they reached their Champion status. http://www.ehow.com/info_8349742_requirements-dog-grand-champion.html

So basically Ginger could still be younger and accruing his 25 grand champion points, and Izzy could be six months or a year older than he is, already gotten her 25.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Yup. Judging by I's win in the 9-12 puppy age in March 2010, and citing G's birthday was November 2010 that's why. He just hasn't accumulated the 25 points yet.

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    We have a Cairn, due to the fact they don't shed/have dander, they are good for people with allergies. Every description I have read states that the breed will continually test the owners limits. Its true, he will not run off with me, I don't even keep an eye on him, but if my wife or son let him outside, he takes off like a rocket. They like to dig, but not just outside. Get ready to find toys/treats and stuff you'd never expect to be hidden in places all over the house, such as, but not limited to: rawhide pieces tucked neatly inside your shoes, so when you slip them on it feels like punji sticks; dog toys stuffed in between all of the couch cusions, and in the dirty clothes hamper in the laundry room, and basically every crevise in the house. He once managed to jump on a kitchen chair, then onto the table and got into a whole back of rawhide chips, and when we came back home there was one strategically placed in every 90* corner of the kitchen/laundry/dining area where he was confined to.

Photos of of the perp:
    055.jpgDSCN0399.jpg094.jpg

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    We have a Cairn, due to the fact they don't shed/have dander, they are good for people with allergies. Every description I have read states that the breed will continually test the owners limits. Its true, he will not run off with me, I don't even keep an eye on him, but if my wife or son let him outside, he takes off like a rocket. They like to dig, but not just outside. Get ready to find toys/treats and stuff you'd never expect to be hidden in places all over the house, such as, but not limited to: rawhide pieces tucked neatly inside your shoes, so when you slip them on it feels like punji sticks; dog toys stuffed in between all of the couch cusions, and in the dirty clothes hamper in the laundry room, and basically every crevise in the house. He once managed to jump on a kitchen chair, then onto the table and got into a whole back of rawhide chips, and when we came back home there was one strategically placed in every 90* corner of the kitchen/laundry/dining area where he was confined to.

Photos of of the perp:
    View attachment 27970View attachment 27971View attachment 27972

I can't wait. I told the lady we'd like to adopt two because we were a single dog house hold for so long… I'm not interested in that again. Two please. So I may or may not be able to get two. It depends on if she has two available of the opposite sex. Probably not.

But all of this madness. Can't wait. Puppy treats in the shoes is his way of sharing. :D

Where did you get your Cairn?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Not sure, My wife bought him from some pet store while I was out of town. :mad:

Treats in the shoes are NOT his way of sharing, It's his way of being greedy, but the problem is he forgets where he hides most of the stuff!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I see. Show dogs CH's. Cool. Might increase the price on breeding in the future once he gets his.

The Retriever Titles are a bit different b/c they have Field Titles to earn along with Show titles. Most Reputable breeders don't mix show dogs with field dogs, although BYB's do.

Top Bottom