Mahamoti's Range Diary

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Catchiest title ever, no?

Thought I should get one of these started, and my first match in Production C sounded like a good time to do it.

July EAPS in in the books... I certainly shot it like someone who just made C class. 31/47 overall (50.41%), 13/21 production (63.68%).

I shot all the points on two stages, but completely bombed one, hit a popper low and having it not fall, and dropping a couple of shots into the black on headshots. 93.45% of the points before penalties, 88.40% after.

Pluses: I manned up and shot on the move in this match, without hurting accuracy, and picking up a few seconds on field courses (instead of 15sec behind the fast guys, I was only 10sec behind). Shot the classifier at 59.xx%.

Lessons: Shoot the dot up close. Check the poppers. Move faster. Come in with the gun up. Don't slack reload practice; fumbled on the classifier.

Things I know I need to practice: Transitions, transitions, transitions.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    After action report - August TPS

5/7 production (66.856%), 23/32 overall (45.3214%).

Short match, 4 stages, 100rds. I shot 90.80% of the points with no penalties. No video, unfortunately.

On the field stages, I did pretty well I think... shot accurately, never missed any steel (even the Texas star), and shot on the move when possible.

On the classifier, though... I shot everything low for some reason, and it showed in my HF. It should come in around 35%, for the record.

To be honest, I haven't spent the time practicing I know I need to spend in order to advance. Started with some grip strength training to go with a new exercise regimen, and almost done reading Brian Enos' book. Going to move on to Steve Anderson's dry fire book next, and attempt to get some regular practice time into my schedule.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    AAR - September 2012 EAPS

11/20 production (68.586%), 35/54 overall (50.8458%).

Shot 88.57% of the points, with no penalties.

This match was part of the RO training course, so besides shooting, I learned a bunch about running competitors through stages and scoring. Thanks to Troy for running a great class, and the rest of the squad for being a good bunch to learn with.

As for my performance... I did well on three of the stages, at least, finishing them in the low 20's overall. The last two stages, including the classifier, I once again shot everything low. I know I'm not aiming that low, and it might be time to start tinkering around with the front sight again, or just going with an adjustable rear. On one stage with small plates out around 12yds, I had to hold over a good bit, basically shooting through the front dot, to hit.

Even with the low hits on the classifier, it should come in around 50%. Not B-class like I'd like to be shooting, but still better than my current average. I didn't blaze it down, but I was decently fast on my reloads, and I'm sure I shot it in the right order... so that helped.

Besides POA/POI problems, I shot pretty well, grouping my shots tightly. I know this means I should pick up the pace a little, but I can't seem to find the point between "hit everything slowly" and "miss everything quickly". My strategy right now is to just try to shoot the A's, work on picking up the visual clues I need to be able to call shots, and just expect the speed to come with time.

Last edited:

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Really looking forward to TPS tomorrow. I swapped front sights again, and a quick range trip yesterday confirmed it's where I want it to be now. So, how did that take so long? Stupidly simple lesson: When you're doing something like swapping out sights, stick with a single ammo until you get it where you want it. I was bouncing back and forth between 115gr Federal or WWB, and the 124gr Aguila I'm using now. That made for some very inconsistent results when testing out another sight change. I should have known that!

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Sept TPS is a wrap, check my youtube channel for the video. Not a bad outing, but I did make some mistakes (shocked, I know!). The misses on steel I'm chalking up to bad habits to work out from shooting so long with the wrong front sight. The penalties, I don't have much excuse for. It was a high target through a low port, but that shouldn't have stopped me.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Two months to go 'til my first major (MS Classic), so I'm going to hopefully log more here between now and then.

Video from this past weekend's TPS: TPS 10 March 2013

93% and change of the points, so not doing too badly there, but I dropped more than I should have on the classifier (4A 7C 1D). Transitions on steel looked good (to my eyes); why they're so much slower on paper, I don't know.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    2013 MS Classic AAR

First major match is a wrap. Excellent match, great people putting it on. I don't have much to compare yet, but to my eyes, with the number of competitors, it flowed very well.

I ended up 9th C out of 30. Not where I wanted to be, but I'll take it.

I shot stages 7 and 8 better than just about any stage I've ever shot. Barring some time lost entering/exiting positions, I'm happy with those, and I'll be chasing consistency at that level between now and Gator.

I completely tanked stage 9. First pass I hit a no-shoot and made it up, but a swinger didn't activate. Re-shot it immediately, skipped a target, and had an M on another. This stage alone dropped me 4-6 spots in the C rankings. On the up-side, I did shoot the swingers well (thanks Bo!).

Stage 10, those silly handcuffs hooked a magazine in my belt, so I couldn't fully press out. Instead of spending time staring at it and figuring out what was wrong, I just shot the whole stage in some sort of Weaver stance. It definitely slowed me down, but it went well, considering.

Stage 1 I again made up a no-shoot, but failed to make up an M into hardcover.

Stage 2 I shot well, but slowly. My transitions were painfully slow; that's the biggest take-away for me to work on out of the whole match, I think.

Stage 3 was thrown out, but I didn't do too badly there. Not as quick as I would have liked, and had some misses on mini poppers, but I did clean the star in 5 shots, and was reasonably quick on the plate rack.

Stage 4, the drawbridge activator failed to fall even though I drilled it about dead center. Got it on the 2nd hit, but it cost me some time there.

Stage 5, again, shot well, but slowly.

Stage 6, the classifier, dropped a weak-hand M on the last shot. 47% or so according to classifiercalc, which won't help me get to B class.

Non-shooting lesson learned: Don't let Karthik navigate! Also, when copying an address off a web page into Google Maps, make sure it isn't the PO Box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYFpB0iZTlo

Last edited:

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    TPS 26 May

TPS 26 May. 2nd C, 6th Production

Had a great Stage 2; I'm pretty OK with shooting on the move now, at least the easy shots. Had a miserable stage 3 though... I tend to drop points on classic targets for some reason, and I was just slooooow.

http://youtu.be/3VaGVzx78ig

Last edited:

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    So I kept reviewing the video of stage 3, trying to figure out how I was *so* much slower than I expected. From beep to last shot on the video was 28.7 seconds... My recorded time was 34.3. The timer must have picked up something during ULSC. I even checked the video length on other stages to verify they matched. Word to the wise, kiddos: check the shot count on the timer. That 5.6 seconds meant 20 match points, 1st C, and 4th Production.

I need to better predict what my expected time should be for a stage. 34 sounded slow to me at the time, but I had no concept of "that run definitely took under 30" in my mind, so I just accepted what was called out.

Last edited:

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    I asked you what your time was and I thought you said around 28 or 29 sec. You then said "you'll probably do it in 24".
    I can pretty reliably guess where I come in with respect to others (like you) I routinely shoot with, and vice versa. But since I ran that stage first, and because it wasn't that long ago that 30+ sec on field courses was normal for me, I accepted that 34 when Troy called it.

I definitely don't want to make a big deal of it, because these things happen; I get that. I just want to file it away as something I need to watch out for, in bigger matches where it might matter. All I can figure is, Troy's timer (he was using his own instead of the club timer for some reason there) got bumped on the door, or picked up when I racked the slide.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I was keeping score on that stage, I hope I didn't make a mistake, I repeat everything back to Troy when he calls out the time and hits, I guess it's possible they couldn't read my chicken scratch lol lol. Sorry that happened! It's happened to me before also

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    I was keeping score on that stage, I hope I didn't make a mistake, I repeat everything back to Troy when he calls out the time and hits, I guess it's possible they couldn't read my chicken scratch lol lol. Sorry that happened! It's happened to me before also
    Pretty sure it was just a problem with the timer picking up something it shouldn't have, so not your fault. I'd much rather learn these lessons at a club match than at a major!

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Well, there's my B ranking. Just barely eeked into it thanks to the May TPS classifier! 75% looks a long way away from here...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom