Lancer L5 AWM vs. PMAG...might be dumping all my lancers (Dumped my Noveske instead)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Yeah, I am a square-range guy, and maybe I am ignorant of a few things, but this looks like suck to me. Maybe I need to be educated on what a magazine is supposed to do when presenting rounds? The Magpul seems to control the rounds MUCH! better. I would think that the more controlled things are, the better, here? Maybe I am over-reacting, but better is better, right? Isn't that why one buys a $15 magazine over a regular USGI, anyway? Incremental improvement?

Right now, I am disappointed in the Lancer AWM.

http://youtu.be/_BjrPezCtzk

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    HK416 mags ftnfw!!! Plastic sucks

My former roommate really liked the HK mags he had in Iraq, but they were new. Guys who have had them a while report issues. Roommate got them toward the end of his tour, and so didn't put much mileage on them to tell. Just hear-say, but a lot of people saying it

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    If you decide to sell them all, drop me a PM.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Yeah, no kidding, I'll buy some.

Are they the AWM with the full metal collar. I would keep them. Have you had FTF issues?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Yeah, no kidding, I'll buy some.

Are they the AWM with the full metal collar. I would keep them. Have you had FTF issues?

I have a 20 round AWM that gave me issues chambering from a full mag. The AWM's have metal feed lips and Lancer still hasn't figured out how to make them work. They will swap you mags until you get a good one, though, or you can file them. Either way, the AWM's came highly recommended to me so I bought a good bit of them. I'm kindof on the fence right now. I mean, I don't like how they have more "drag" from a full magazine, and I don't like how they *SEEM* to have inferior feeding control of the rounds, compared to the PMAG.

Basically, I am unsure if I would be improving going back to PMAG's or not. I will probably sleep on it a good bit. If I decide to sell 'em, they will be sold for what I paid for them. I have 14 new in the bags, one of which is translucent black. The rest are opaque black. They are the new AWM's with metal feed-lips, textured bodies, etc. Pix abound.

Will sleep on it a while and await more input from others as to whether this is as much of a downside as I at first perceive. Like I said, I know it's not earth-shattering, but then, USGI mags work well, too. If I am buying to incrementally improve, why not buy the "best"---especially since Magpul = AWM's in price. It's a wash money wise.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    :doh:

Dude stop playing iEngineer in the kitchen and go shoot the damn gun.

I did, not with my 30 round AWM's yet, but the 20 round AWM's are a pain at times. Dropping the bolt = no chambering. Forward-assist required every now and then. Never had a PMAG do that to me. I have not had a chance to run the 30's, yet.

However, even the old beat-up USGI mags will run just fine in my experience, and since I am paying a lot more for these than a box of old gunshow USGI's, why not get MORE utility rather than the same? The AWM feed-lip geometry and material is the same as the USGI (I know, steel vs. aluminum, but what I mean is "metal"), while the Magpul seems to differ. I'm seeing the results of that difference "playing in my kitchen", and have seen it on the range, as well.

Not here to argue about it, just sharing an observation and looking for input as to whether its normal for the rounds to pop out of the mag like that when I rack the bolt.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    All 20 round mags are fairly suspect. To include the Old GI 20rd Mags. Shoot the mags. If they fail replace them. Your iEngineering, Apex Overthinking, and Extrapilating. I can tell you based on my expirence I see more Pmags fail than any other mag combined. I have no idea what you mean by control the round during feeding. Is this something your seeing by hand cycycling? Stop imagining problems. Your being neurotic.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    All 20 round mags are fairly suspect. To include the Old GI 20rd Mags. Shoot the mags. If they fail replace them. Your iEngineering, Apex Overthinking, and Extrapilating. I can tell you based on my expirence I see more Pmags fail than any other mag combined. I have no idea what you mean by control the round during feeding. Is this something your seeing by hand cycycling? Stop imagining problems. Your being neurotic.

Yes, my issue was with the 20 round mags not allowing the top round to strip when I tried to chamber the round by using the bolt-release. In my opinion, that should not occur. I have not tested these 30's. I think your class will be a great test for them.

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    I have a buddy that has sold guns because he didn't look cool manhandling them in the bathroom mirror. Richard, is that you under an alter?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Yeah, I am a square-range guy, and maybe I am ignorant of a few things, but this looks like suck to me. Maybe I need to be educated on what a magazine is supposed to do when presenting rounds? The Magpul seems to control the rounds MUCH! better. I would think that the more controlled things are, the better, here? Maybe I am over-reacting, but better is better, right? Isn't that why one buys a $15 magazine over a regular USGI, anyway? Incremental improvement?

Right now, I am disappointed in the Lancer AWM.

http://youtu.be/_BjrPezCtzk

Do you normally have trouble pulling the bolt back on a loaded magazine?

JR1572

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Do you normally have trouble pulling the bolt back on a loaded magazine?

JR1572

No, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to do smoothly when trying to stay out of the video, hold the weapon in front of your cell-phone which is propped up against a book on your countertop, and all that crap.

Enraged Gecko

Rating - 81.8%
    9   2   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Walker, La
    I usually stick with Bravo Company magazines, but I've been very happy with the FN factory mag that shipped with the SCAR 16s. It's a steel magazine with stainless spring and Magpul follower.

Top Bottom