What is law regarding hitting a deer with a vehicle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    If one were to accidentally hit a deer with a motor vehicle does this need to be reported to the Wildlife and Fisheries or just local law enforcement? It has never happened to me but I hear on occasion it does happen.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have hit a couple deer up in Clinton, LA when running calls. I remember one of my ole buddies working the shift before me, popped a spike, almost knocked its head off, dented up the front right bumper to the unit but the rest of the unit & meat was fine. I think it was Deputy Dog? working that night, wrote up an incident report for the insurance & what not then they threw the deer in a body bag and brought it back to the station and field dressed it! :rofl:

Stocked up the freezer w/ rump & backstrap! It was awesome man! We all ate off that for the rest of the month! Good times!

Never hit a deer in my off-duty vehicle though, so wouldn't know. If you have a big brush guard on the front of your truck/SUV and no damage was done to the vehicle, I would think you would still have to call the law to write up a report. I would hate for that meat to go to waste. Hell, call me up! I'll go clean it up!! :D

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I have hit a couple and even had one hit me a few months ago. I was pissed. It T-boned my drivers side door and rear door. I got out, it flipped around a bit and before I could finish it off, it ran away. I believe it was a 4pt. This was just about in front of Abita Lumber on Hwy 36.

b/c of the fear of deceases, the WLF can no longer donate deer, they are properly disposed of (cremated???). It is actually illegal to take the deer if you hit them and are supposed to be reported, although not sure if this is an actual law. I have only had one that was worth taking and I did take it. He broke his neck in my grill.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    There used to be a big buck just outside of Woodville Mississippi on Hwy 61 that we would see when running up to north LA.
    I'd see him as far north as the gully by the prison.
    One night he walked right out in front of my truck and I have to admit, I did think about not slowing down.......

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I hit one in Sorrento near I-10 - one week after I dropped insurance coverage for that sort of thing (ARGH!). Pulled into a parkingf lot and the lady in the store called the SO when I told her what happenned. Cop came and asked where it was. I asked if he had to make a report. He said no he was going to go get the deer to eat it.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    Hit a deer in a 3 week old 2001 astro van i was so pissed i left it there on the side of the road . next morning no deer :eek3: someone had good eats on me $3.000 worth!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My girlfriend has hit 14 deer all in Livingston Parish most of the time someone was picking up the deer before it stopped moving. :D

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    unless you want to file an insurance claim and they require file number, do what you want. just at least get it out the middle of the road. We dont write animal strikes on uniform crash reports, just on a normal incident report.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    unless you want to file an insurance claim and they require file number, do what you want. just at least get it out the middle of the road. We dont write animal strikes on uniform crash reports, just on a normal incident report.

i thought you cant keep it according to LDWF law?

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    as it was explained to me (i dont hunt), irregardless of HOW you kill it, you have to adhere to game laws. you need a license, and they have to be in season. i say call and ask.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Unless things have changed since I left. You can keep the deer or whatever you hit. The law does state that you must have a valid hunting license to possess game and it must be in season.
    Actually taking a deer with an automobile (hitting it on purpose) is an illegall method to take game. I actually cited and got a conviction on a person who do did that.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    If LDWF responds to your deer strike they can do what they want, if you call me about it I don't care LOL

Top Bottom