Shooters Discount

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Avid Shooter

Dot Pattern on bottom of Glock barrel

Seeking some wisdom on why this little pattern shows up on my Gen 4 barrels and not my earlier models. I know there's some guys on here that know a lot more about Glocks than I do. Did a little research and didn't really find anything.

I love anything that goes boom.

That's Braille. Glock makes barrel designed for normal people and the visually impaired. Those dots, should you know how to read Braille, will tell you which barrel you have. That's right - Glock, such a simple weapon, even a blind man can use it!

Yeah, I know that was cheesy, deal with it.

Professional Amateur

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunRelated View Post
    That's Braille. Glock makes barrel designed for normal people and the visually impaired. Those dots, should you know how to read Braille, will tell you which barrel you have. That's right - Glock, such a simple weapon, even a blind man can use it!

Yeah, I know that was cheesy, deal with it.

Sam
    Central/Pride, Evil Black Rifle Parish(EBR), LA

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’"
    -Col. Jeff Cooper

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
    Seeking some wisdom on why this little pattern shows up on my Gen 4 barrels and not my earlier models. I know there's some guys on here that know a lot more about Glocks than I do. Did a little research and didn't really find anything.

I believe it's a machine readable 2D dot matrix bar code required by MIL STD 130.

JR1572
    Last edited by JR1572; August 25th, 2012 at 03:03 AM.

Avid Shooter
    Somehow I knew the braille answer would come up JR that seems to make sense. I'll look into it some more thanks.
    I love anything that goes boom.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member
    Call 1-770-432-1202.

Professional Amateur

Premium Member
    Frome a wiseguy in another gun forum:

"If you scan it with your iPhone it will take you to a cool website."

Lord.
    Sam
    Central/Pride, Evil Black Rifle Parish(EBR), LA

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’"
    -Col. Jeff Cooper

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member
    You may have a "Miami Barrel".

Record Details - ED532815
    Title: The Miami Barrel: An Innovation in Forensic Firearms Identification

Full-Text Availability Options:

Help Finding Full Text | Find in a Library | Publisher's Web Site
    Related Items: Show Related Items
    Click on any of the links below to perform a new search
    Title: The Miami Barrel: An Innovation in Forensic Firearms Identification
    Authors: Fadul, Thomas G., Jr.
    Descriptors: Weapons; Identification; Examiners; Technology; Innovation; Crime; Evaluation Criteria; Documentation; Validity; Scientific Research
    Source: ProQuest LLC, Ph.D. Dissertation, Lynn University
    Peer Reviewed:
    Publisher: ProQuest LLC. 789 East Eisenhower Parkway, P.O. Box 1346, Ann Arbor, MI 48106. Tel: 800-521-0600; Web site: http://www.proquest.com/en-US/produc...ividuals.shtml
    Publication Date: 2009-00-00
    Pages: 186
    Pub Types: Dissertations/Theses - Doctoral Dissertations
    Abstract: The scientific foundation in firearm and tool mark identification is that each firearm/tool produces a signature of identification (striation/impression) that is unique to that firearm/tool, and through examining the individual striations/impressions; the signature can be positively identified to the firearm/tool that produced it. There is no set number of matching striations that are needed for concluding an identification. The inability to identify fired bullets to individual Glock pistols resulted in an in-depth study of Glock's polygonal rifled barrels, which resulted in the manufacturing of the Miami/EBIS Gun Barrel. This research study provided the scholarly research that was needed to determine if questioned bullets from multiple consecutively manufactured Glock Miami/EBIS Gun Barrels could be distinguished from one and other, as well as the criteria for identification. This particular study explored the measurable differences between the relationship of traditional pattern matching, consecutive matching striations and/or a combination of both techniques through an experimental exercise involving bullets that were fired through consecutively manufactured Glock Miami/EBIS Gun Barrels. In addition the years of experience of the participants in relationship to the results of the experimental exercise was explored. The results of this study provide firearm and tool mark examiners documentation supporting and validating the theory and hypothesis of the forensic science discipline of firearm and tool mark identification. [The dissertation citations contained here are published with the permission of ProQuest LLC. Further reproduction is prohibited without permission. Copies of dissertations may be obtained by Telephone (800) 1-800-521-0600. Web page: http://www.proquest.com/en-US/produc...iduals.shtml.]
    Abstractor: As Provided
    Last edited by JBP55; August 25th, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

FWIW, I've got it on a G30 barrel as well.