KeepShooting.Com Enhanced Magazines - Could not get them to feed properly

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    So there was a hot deal posted last week about $8 steel magazines from keepshooting.com

I read good reviews online so ordered 10 to see for myself how they would turn out.

Went to the range today with all 10 magazines loaded with 30 rounds each. 5 had steel ammo (Tula from wally world) the other 5 had brass (mix of different brands I had lying around).

Fully loaded with 30 rounds, none of the magazines would feed properly. Every single magazine did the same thing. The BCG would move forward an inch and get stuck. The round would have gouge marks from the feed lips and it would be a huge PITA to get the magazine out of the gun.

This happened with both of my rifles (one is an RRA Lower/LMT upper, the other is a ATI Lower/Spikes upper). There was a guy next to me who had a Daniel Defense AR15 and he tried one in his and it did the same exact thing.

I'm no gunsmith but it seems like the springs are just too much. They're pushing the rounds with such force that the BCG is unable to push the round into the chamber. It would also explain the gouge marks. I considered taking the spring out of one of my other magazines that work flawlessly and put it in one of these keepshooting mags but I'd rather just get my money back on them.

So if you got in on that hot deal, load up your magazines and see if you can get the rounds to cycle properly. I guess I should have known if it's too good to be true it is but I figured I'd risk it for some extra range magazines. As long as I get my refund I regret nothing!

Brass in the LMT upper
    0jx4lk7gzpqnnnhpvvmk.jpg

Steel in the LMT upper (notice the gouge mark from the feed lips)
    meur8yvcbi3d3ewh4tm.jpg

Brass in the Spikes upper
    j6bwi52nmikohm148su.jpg

Did not get a picture of it in the guy next to me's rifle as I didn't want to disturb his shooting too much. Here's a video showing the issue in action. If I'm doing something wrong and it's my fault this is happening, please let me know. But all of my aluminum magazines work fine and cycle just fine in both of my rifles.

(forgive the quality of the video, used my iphone for it, and yea laugh at me for having trouble getting the magazine in :p it's been a long long day)

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I don't know ar's but what about trimming a coil or two at a time off the spring? I would try that on one if the spring can be accessed.
    If it can't be accessed excuse my ignorance. Black rifles are beyond me

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    You can pull the spring out. As I said I am tempted to pull one apart and put a spring I know is good in one to see how it does but I don't want to ruin any chances of returning them.

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    My 2 cents is, I wouldn't think its the spring tension.
    Are the feed lips any longer , or wider , or curled over at a tighter angle than your regular mags ?

Take a pic of them side by side for us

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Here's two pictures (one with flash one without) next to a C-Products magazine (on the right) I used at the range today without any trouble. The Keepshooting.com one is on the left with the green follower. Sorry they're kinda crappy, taken with the same iphone as above. My good camera is having some issues.

I just don't get how some seemed to work fine with < 20 rounds in them but would not work at all with > 20 rounds in them.

eMzDS.jpg

5PZ2L.jpg

Last edited:

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    I am going blind, So measure and correct me,
    but it looks like the feed lips are longer ?
    as well as the gap between the 2 is tighter ?

If so,

Start by rounding off the forward portion of the lips.

or actually, the rear of the follower on the green one does not taper off.

Hey, try swapping out the follower first for us before you grind on anyting.

I realize your sending them back.
    so swap out the follower and recheck before you do so

Last edited:

twokids

May 24, 2011
    Oscar, LA.
    Here's two pictures (one with flash one without) next to a C-Products magazine (on the right) I used at the range today without any trouble. The Keepshooting.com one is on the left with the green follower. Sorry they're kinda crappy, taken with the same iphone as above. My good camera is having some issues.

I just don't get how some seemed to work fine with < 20 rounds in them but would not work at all with > 20 rounds in them.

eMzDS.jpg

5PZ2L.jpg

It looks like the mag on the left has a narrower gap between the feed lips, has a tighter curl to the feed lips, and the are longer that the mag on the right. I you have a caliper or something that you can measure the mags with, take some detailed measurements. In my experience mags with feed lip problems tend to show up only a full mag and not a partial one.

twokids

May 24, 2011
    Oscar, LA.

eMzDS.jpg

5PZ2L.jpg

It looks like the mag on the left has a narrower gap between the feed lips, has a tighter curl to the feed lips, and they are longer than the mag on the right. I you have a caliper or something that you can measure the mags with, take some detailed measurements. In my experience mags with feed lip problems tend to show up only a full mag and not a partial one.

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Don't have a caliper and didn't have time to try replacing the spring/follower. Was told yesterday I'd be heading to Dallas today for work because of the storm so I had to pack and whatnot. If I don't have to go to Dallas I'll see what I can do when I get home from work.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Just got a call from a Mario at KeepShooting.com

"Yea well we sold over 2000 of these and not a single person complained about them so we want you to send them in so we can test them. Not that we don't believe you but it's just unusual you're the only one complaining about this"

So they're going to issue me an RMA number and I am going to send them in and hopefully I'll get a refund. But they seem pretty confident that the magazines are fine and I'm doing something wrong :dunno:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Just got a call from a Mario at KeepShooting.com

"Yea well we sold over 2000 of these and not a single person complained about them so we want you to send them in so we can test them. Not that we don't believe you but it's just unusual you're the only one complaining about this"

So they're going to issue me an RMA number and I am going to send them in and hopefully I'll get a refund. But they seem pretty confident that the magazines are fine and I'm doing something wrong :dunno:

That is strange. In my experience, magazines either work or they don't. Don't see what you would be doing that would cause the magazine issues.

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk because AT&T 4G sucks majorly.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Mario is probably reading from a script...

Nah actually he did sound like someone who knew what he was talking about :dunno: Who knows though. I'm honestly upset that these magazines didn't work out. I'm hoping maybe they can exchange them for working ones or something instead of just refunding me. I'd love some range mags that take a beating better than my aluminum ones.

WeldonHunter

Jul 18, 2011
    Weldon, LA
    Nah actually he did sound like someone who knew what he was talking about :dunno: Who knows though. I'm honestly upset that these magazines didn't work out. I'm hoping maybe they can exchange them for working ones or something instead of just refunding me. I'd love some range mags that take a beating better than my aluminum ones.

Yeah Mario isn't reading from a script. He's a good guy, he knows his stuff and will take care of this. You'll definitely get a refund if that's what you want. I talked to him yesterday and he said they sold about 4,000 of these all together and only had two returns so far. Yours and someone that sent 6 back still sealed in the wrappers. Bosco I wouldn't worry about it. They'll take care of you. I don't know why they didn't work for you but sometimes this stuff happens. If anybody else has problems they'll make it right.

One other thing I saw in your video. You said the rounds were trash because of a scratch. I would use those. There's nothing wrong with them. I have an M1 Garand that some of the rounds get scratches on as they leave the enblocs and they shoot just fine.

kibb

Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    If you don't have anything against pMags they can be had for $2 more a piece. I got 10 in a week ago for $114 with shipping.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I don't like pmags. They just don't stack well in the safe and I don't like how they feel :dunno:

I got an email from them showing the refund of $79.50. They did not reply to my emails asking about exchanging them for working product nor did they reply about whether or not they did find them to be defective.

I sent them another email asking about shipping seeing as how I'm out $20 with nothing to show for it because they sold me a defective product. No reply yet and I don't expect one. I may try calling them in a couple of days because I find it a bit annoying that not only did their shoddy product ruin a trip to the range (waste of time, money in range fees, and gas) but also cost me extra money just to "try them out" :mad:

Did anyone get to try theirs and see if they functioned properly?

/edit/ Just got an email from them saying they haven't inspected the magazines yet and figured an immediate refund would be the best course of action. No word on shipping charges though.

Last edited:

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Well when I got home I loaded one mag with 29 rounds (round 30 was tight) of Freedom Munitions reloads(brass). Did not have one problem, Fired 50 rounds total. All rounds fired, fed and ejected properly. Lower is a New Frontier polymer lower. I don't know why there was a problem with the shipment you got in. I also didn't try all the mags just one.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom