safe to run a pc and tv from a generator?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Yeah, but the generators that the military use are much larger and designed to run entire LSA's or DFAC's or even a CASH.

I dont know the real answer to the OP's question but my guess would be as long as it doesnt overload the gen.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    May the digital gods have mercy on your hardware.

Short answer: NO

Long answer: Only if the genset makes steady 60hz, 110vAC power. Fluctuations are the death of 110vAC to 5/12vDC transformers and hardware on the low voltage side. Surge protectors ONLY work to shunt overvoltage to ground, which with a generator isn't going to work. You could (potentially) get yourself a power filter (not a surge protector) and hook that between your computer and genset. If you go this route I would actually recommend getting an APC BackUPS RS1500 with AVR to automatically protect your computer from both high and low voltage and Hz surge.

Easily 90% of the emergency generator market is made up of non-computer-safe gensets. Most of the portables will not make clean power. The exception will be the inverter generators which are generally dead on and smooth power. The military doesn't use Chinese-built portables, I guarantee you that a mil-spec generator will provide the best, most accurate power available along with EM interference supression. Dead hardware and military ops just don't mix well.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I use to run my TV and charge my computer off a power inverter hooked to a battery. I would charge the battery with my generator.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    I use to run my TV and charge my computer off a power inverter hooked to a battery. I would charge the battery with my generator.

That's a pretty good idea. :-) My brother in Beaumont has blown up 3 TVs running them on a generator post- Katrina / Rita... I wouldn't do it.

-Neal

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    May the digital gods have mercy on your hardware.

Short answer: NO

Long answer: Only if the genset makes steady 60hz, 110vAC power. Fluctuations are the death of 110vAC to 5/12vDC transformers and hardware on the low voltage side. Surge protectors ONLY work to shunt overvoltage to ground, which with a generator isn't going to work. You could (potentially) get yourself a power filter (not a surge protector) and hook that between your computer and genset. If you go this route I would actually recommend getting an APC BackUPS RS1500 with AVR to automatically protect your computer from both high and low voltage and Hz surge.

Easily 90% of the emergency generator market is made up of non-computer-safe gensets. Most of the portables will not make clean power. The exception will be the inverter generators which are generally dead on and smooth power. The military doesn't use Chinese-built portables, I guarantee you that a mil-spec generator will provide the best, most accurate power available along with EM interference supression. Dead hardware and military ops just don't mix well.

^^^^^^^
    This.

WIth the way electronics are built, if your generator is not an inverter, I would not do it....

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Also - if you happen to own a UPS you can use it to filter the dirty power most generators make.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I've been running a sony lcd and a samsung lcd for 2 days now off of a generator. No problems at all. Been doing the same thing with both of them for 3 years now on the same husky 5k generator. Ran my old tv off of the same generator the first year here, but sold those and got the new flatscreens. I think ya'll are over complicating things.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    LCD isn't super sensitive like a desktop computer or plasma screen tv. You still risk burning out the power supplies if you run a fridge or medium motor load in conjunction.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Well I'm screwed since I have my deep freeze and 2 fridges on the same generator, then I unplug one and run my window units in 2 rooms. I guess I'm rolling the dice and have been for a long time. I need an upgraded tv anyway. a 60 inch would look awesome in my living room.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Back during Andrew I ran a old type tv on a generator and it tv worked but the remote wouldn't. Soon at the power came back on the remote worked fine. Why?

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    All of these have been on my computer, while watching tv, with the window unit running, and the fridge plugged up while running on generator. Thankfully the P.L.C. guys are out front right now fixing to sink a new pole. Hope to shut off that generator. I've burned 13 gallons the last day and half. Still cheaper than a pissed off pregnant wife though.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I took a chance and ran my LCD tv and my fridge, which has a led display and some kind of electronics control panel thingy on my Generac 5k portable. Didn't have any problems. Also ran a standard fridge, 6k btu ac, 1/2 hp water well pump. Did ok

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    During Gustav I ran my fridge, portable AC, plasma tv and DirecTv box on our 6KW generator with no issues. This time the power wasn't out very long.

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    My neighbor burned up his 60" flat screen yesterday running it off of his generator. I don't need tv that bad to risk it, read a book and enjoy the hum of the generator running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom