Hurricane Isaac

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    Are you using a digital ready tv?

Yes, TV is a sony plasma big screen. I hooked up a small rabbit ears antenna. I did a channel search for digital stations. All it found were 3 of them. 6.1 which was WWL, 6.2 and one other. WWL would show for a minute then fad out, then audio would come and go. Signal would not stay on either of the three it found. thanks

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    If someone is still without power, you can borrow my generator. I don't have a truck to bring it to you, but you're welcome to come get it. 5500W, good for fridge, small A/C, and some small extras.
    Sorry I didn't even think about it earlier.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have an old battery powered portable tv. I didn't even try it since it didn't have a digital tuner. Not to mention it eats batteries...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    BTW, did anyone have any equipment or ideas out of the ordinary that turned out to be worth sharing for power outages?

I had 2 lanterns from black diamond (an orbit and an apollo with the nod going to the orbit) that worked great and had good battery life. Also, my camp stove (msr micro-rocket) was great for during the storm. It was too windy to light the BBQ pit and the stove was good for making hot dogs, warming can food, etc.

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    Power went out Tuesday morning at 7:15. Water started coming in the house that evening. Moved to the boat and been living on it since. Walked on dry land yesterday (what day is it?) for the first time because someone picked me up in a boat to bring me to the store to get supplies. Water was up to the door knobs in my house, and almost up to the door handles in my truck. Competition pistols were Bagged and placed atop some bar stools, which floated up and dumped the bag into the water. I didn't realize this until yesterday. The finish on my STI Spartan is ruined, no rust though, and just minor issues with my other guns. Still waiting for the water to go down about 2" before I can start cleaning my house. Hopefully the power comes back on before I run out of fuel for the generator.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've been on generator power since Tuesday at 9:30 pm. I'm quite comfortable, and have nothing to complain about. Especially after reading of others trials and tribulations.

I was glad to see these folks this morning.
    IMG_20120903_103629.jpg

Lessons learned? Good government leaders result in no panic, no looting, no shooting. Vote responsibly.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    BTW, did anyone have any equipment or ideas out of the ordinary that turned out to be worth sharing for power outages?

I had 2 lanterns from black diamond (an orbit and an apollo with the nod going to the orbit) that worked great and had good battery life. Also, my camp stove (msr micro-rocket) was great for during the storm. It was too windy to light the BBQ pit and the stove was good for making hot dogs, warming can food, etc.

My mother has 2 genies which needed maintance because she didn't run them. She assured me that she would get it done earlier in the season (should have done it myself)

Sooooo.... When I showed up to watch the place, neither worked.

So I used this, it won't run an old fridge, but 800 is enough for most new ones...
    http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-813-...d=1346693517&sr=8-2&keywords=800watt+inverter

Ran it off my car battery so there was power.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Just a side note, the propane bottles for torches work on the propane coleman camp stoves. Walmart was out of the Coleman bottles an had people looking for them. I bought 4 torch bottles and there was at least 5 more. I told one guy and he grabbed some. It's a little more expensive but when you find you can't find the 2 you had, it works lol

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    It may just have been a Louisiana thing, but when the broadcasters went digital they were required to broadcast their digital signal at the same time they streamed it out on cable. We get about 15 channels via the rabbit ears, but a nice attic antenna works a whole lot better.

Not quite, but close.

When the transition to digital happened, broadcasters were assigned new frequencies to broadcast the new digital signal; cble retransmission is entirely up to an agreement between each station and the local cable company or satellite provider. After awhile, they were required to turn off the old analog signal and surrender the frequency allocations back to the .gov. Go to antennaweb.net to enter your address and see how to best pull in all available digital broadcasts in your area. In all likelihood, you have to turn your antenna slightly when you change to some channels. The digital signal never "fades" like the old analog one - it's either there with a great picture or it's gone. Large wet trees can interfere with your reception. In New orleans, I think you should be able to get about 25 channels, including subchannels.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    I got power this time yesterday. Been sleeping at the bar since Friday. Not to bad watching movies on the moviescreen and cold beer. But getting up first thing in the morning to take a wizz in a bar bathroom was....... Unsettling

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom