Most reliable whole house generator?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    There's a girl I went to college with and she posted on FB the huge gen they had installed at their house after Gustav. I had to chuckle when she posted that it turns off every 7 min during use the other day

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    speaking of fuel prices... i ran my 5500 portable one for 12 hours a day and that was 10 gallons. so about $30-40 a day
    and that only ran a window unit at night etc. So i dont think those NG prices are that bad to run a whole house!

rt2carry

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Ethel,La
    I think that $40 a day for a 10KW on NG is a little high with todays prices. Spot price was $2.65 / 1000 cuft and you can figure 10cuft/hr usage per engine HP. That would put you at around $12.72 / day at today's prices for a 20HP 10KW gen set running NG. I figure my 5.6KW is costing me $7.44 / day on NG vs around $35 / day to run it on gasoline.

I will be getting a portable 10KW generac and putting a NG conversion kit on it come this winter after I sell my Craftsman 5.6 KW / 8 KW gen set with NG conversion that I am using now.

I looked up the 20kw generac at full load on ng it say 294 cubic feet per hour. So let's call it 2.65 rounded up to $3 per cubicft that would be 24 a day? Are we doing this correctly? If so I'm all in! We hopefully will have power tomorrow, but I'm currently dumping 10 gallons of gas a day @ $4. Even if its the same $40 and I don't have to find gas, dump it and count watts( currently running a 5000 portable gas) then I may have to seriously consider this. Although I can't decide between the generac or the kohler 20kw.
    Any input?

Martini

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Red Stick
    I didnt loose power this time, but Gustav took me out for 13 days. After dealing with gas acquisition and storage I've been looking really hard at a natural gas gen set. I looked at my gas bill from April, it was the first one I found, and the cost from entergy is $.272 per hundred cuft so on one of the liquid cooled 22kw generacs you are looking at 316 cu/hr consumption. So you are looking at 86 cents per hour or ~$20.65 per day to run at max load. My current gen set runs 15 gallons per day at load, picking average cost of say 3 dollars a gallon for gasoline the Gas gen set costs 45 dollars per day in fuel cost. Compared this way nat gas seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I looked up the 20kw generac at full load on ng it say 294 cubic feet per hour. So let's call it 2.65 rounded up to $3 per cubicft that would be 24 a day? Are we doing this correctly? If so I'm all in! We hopefully will have power tomorrow, but I'm currently dumping 10 gallons of gas a day @ $4. Even if its the same $40 and I don't have to find gas, dump it and count watts( currently running a 5000 portable gas) then I may have to seriously consider this. Although I can't decide between the generac or the kohler 20kw.
    Any input?

Your math looks correct to me.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    We have the gas line ran to a pad behind our garage by the electric meter. We are looking to get a 20 Kw with a transfer switch. It won't power all of our house (we have three central A/C units) but alternating them it can be done easily. From what I'm reading Generac would be a good choice.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Charles, be sure and get one with a liquid cooled engine. They are much more fuel efficient than the gen sets with the lawnmower type engines. They are also very quiet compared to the lawnmower type engines.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The other thing I would mention is that the NG engines stagger a bit more than diesel when they get load dropped on them unexpectedly. It's really just a torque difference.

The NG Generacs that I can hear around here get LOUD under load compared to a diesel of the same size.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    So what would a 10kw natural gas bill be per day and a 10kw gas generator.

I just got my NG bill in that included Isaac. For me running my generator for 5 days (110 hrs) my NG bill increased just $22 over my normal bill. No matter what math you use you can not beat the conveince and price of using a trifuel kit on a generator. That would have been well over $230 in gasoline for my 5.6kw/ 10hp generator for the same time period not counting me waiting in line and tracking down a gas station.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom