Hello from the northshore

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have just recently begun to get interested in firearms. I'm not a hunter but have always enjoyed going to the range with other family members that own a few guns. The spillway was always one of our favorites to go shoot random targets as well. I know all that changed years ago, as you can't fire off a fart unless you have the right permits and are in the right areas.

I would like to get my 12 year old into target shooting. He has shown an interest in the past and I think it would be good for him. If anything, it will get him off the
    xbox and out of the house. Heading to Academy later today to check out a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. It seems to have lots of good reviews, it's cheap and this weekend- it's tax free! .22 ammo is so cheap, so it makes for inexpensive entertainment on the weekend. I have a couple of questions for anyone that can answer:

1) Is there any public land in St. Tammany that I could just go out in the open and set up some targets to shoot without having to pay? I know there's the Honey Island range, but I'll have to wait for it to dry out form Isaac and reopen.
    2) Any thoughts on ammo? I've read a few good things about the CCI green tag and Remington. Is there a particular grain I should be looking for?
    3) I read somewhere that the Tangipahoa Sheriff's Office Range in Amite is free to the public. Is this correct and can anyone provide further information on the range: days, hours, range facilities, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Welcome Aboard From Hammond America

I have a variety of ammo I use to find what a particular .22 likes. Its nice when there is only a slight improvement in performance found between a round that is 5-cents and another that is 50-cents. I would stick to economical ammo for a plinkster but more than likely there will be one type ammo the gun will shoot better than another.

The Tangipahoa Sheriff's Range is open to the public on the 3rd Saturday from 10 a till 1 p IIRC.

Honey Island is very well organized and run.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Hey sgt- I was planning to buy at least two to three different brands of ammo to see what the rifle liked. My brother has a couple of .22 rifles and it's funny how one rifle likes the Remington Thunderbolts and the other doesn't. I may try to call the Tangi Sheriff's dept. during the week to find out more info. on the range unless someone posts more information here. I haven't been to the Honey Island range since the late 90's. I remember it being pretty top notch back then and from what I read, they have made improvements since then. Hopefully Isaac didn't destroy those improvements. It just sucks that I want to finally get a firearm and take the kid shooting but the closest range (Honey Island) will likely be closed for a while.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I was looking at a 702 and decided on a marlin model 60. The marlin is very accurat and will eat any ammo you feed it. I love mine and put a bunch of rounds thru it and I have never had a problem.

Top Bottom