Generator tri fuel conversion kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I've only delt with these guy's, I've never had any problem's with the kit's supplied,I have however fixed 3 of the UScarb. kit's for people that have bought from him...Biggest complaint was no customer support,No returned phone call's,No e-mail's responded too.Your call.

Gator,

Looks pretty simple. How do their prices compare and what's the reliability been like?

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    My NG piping is 1/2", I have 20' of 3/4" hose between the house and the genny. NG is very low pressure, it's the volume you need and the hose acts as a reservoir. BTW, I ran my machine for nearly 50 hours and my gas bill was less than $15.00 more than normal.

Scooter - I just got my NG bill in that included Isaac. For me running my generator for 5 days (110 hrs) my NG bill increased just $22 over my normal bill. No matter what math you use you can not beat the conveince and price of using a trifuel kit on a generator. That would have been well over $230 in gasoline for my 5.6kw gen for the same time period not counting me waiting in line and tracking down a gas station.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    AND there's no ethanol in NG to wreak havoc on the small engine and the oil doesn't get dirty, it just thins out. A quick oil change every couple days is cheep and easy.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the info guys. I also was looking at these after Isaac. Finding gasoline was a real challenge. I need to get one of these before I forget again. Kind of out of sight....out of mind with me. I looked at them but was concerned that maybe there would be problems using NG, and until reading this again, I had forgotten about them.
    Anyway....thanks for the info again.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Update*** I finally installed the kit on my portable gen set. It works fine. I did not test it on a load and only used it on propane and gasoline for now. I'm working on installing a nat gas line in the next few weeks to complete this project. I will likely run it on a load for a while to give it a good test.

THANKS to all of you who helped me along the way - You know who you are!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    If your genny doesn't have a tach on it, get one to be sure that you are getting enough rpm to produce the power.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    this. it is very important to maintain 3600 rpm on a portable generator. when the rpm's drop then you will have a drop in HZ (frequency) you must maintain 60 HZ. if you overload your generator you will never know it unless you check the rpm or HZ. you will find out however, later down the road,maybe weeks later, whatever appliances you were running on your genny start to crap out, TV, refrigerator, PC, washer, ect, ect.
    If your genny doesn't have a tach on it, get one to be sure that you are getting enough rpm to produce the power.

KeithVi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Southeast Baton Rouge
    Simple tool for assuring 60 cycle (3600RPM)

this. it is very important to maintain 3600 rpm on a portable generator. when the rpm's drop then you will have a drop in HZ (frequency) you must maintain 60 HZ. if you overload your generator you will never know it unless you check the rpm or HZ. you will find out however, later down the road,maybe weeks later, whatever appliances you were running on your genny start to crap out, TV, refrigerator, PC, washer, ect, ect.

I use this to adjust my generator to 60 cycle and measure loads before adding to my system.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Questions for you all who have a tri fuel kit installed. I ran my gen today with the new tri fuel kit - coleman 6250 with 10 hp briggs.

With NO load my yamaha tach showed the following rps:
    Running on regular gas - 3510- 3530 - plugs showed 124 v
    Running on propane - 3510 - 3520 - same voltage reading

I know everyone is saying 3600 but if adjust the propane setting higher it runs like it wants to kill. 3510 seems to be optimal. Any thoughts? I'm not real good with my tester but anything else I should be checking? Is this normal?

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Just installed the Type C kit from US Carb. Was very simple installation, only 6 bolts. I ran it off of gasoline, nat gas, and propane with no issues at all. My testing was done only without load. I'm going to borrow a multimeter that measures frequency and test it again. I do have a tach and multimeter to measure voltage only. Gasoline 3660 rpm, 126V, propane 3650 rpm, 125V, nat gas 3600, 123V. The true test is going to be once (or if) I load it up during a major outage.

Top Bottom