Generator tri fuel conversion kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Works great and beats the hell out of chasing gasoline around town.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Been looking at these online. Is there a reduction in generator capacity or the watts produced when running on natural gas compared to gasoline?

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Been looking at these online. Is there a reduction in generator capacity or the watts produced when running on natural gas compared to gasoline?

It does not necessarily go down, they are not always as efficient per gallon of fuel, but if that fuel is cheaper per gallon or easily accessible, who cares. Here are the 4 most common generator fuels listed from highest to lowest energy potential per gallon of fuel.

Diesel: 129,500 BTU/Gal or 37.95kWh/Gal
    Gasoline: 114,000 BTU/Gal or 33.41kWh/Gal
    Propane (LPG): 84,300 BTU/Gal or 24.75kWh/Gal
    Natural Gas (LNG):75,000 BTU/Gal or 21.75kWh/Gal

When using compressed natural gas it changes, 1 gallon of gas is roughly equal to 126.67 cu ft of CNG @ 900 BTU/cu ft.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    As long as you are getting 3600 rpm you are getting your rated output. So all you do is adjust the NG / propane flow rate until you achieve this.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks. I'm not worried about using more fuel if I switch to nat gas, just want to make sure I'm still getting my 5000 watts (or whatever the generator is rated for). I've been looking at the kits from www.propane-generators.com , any other good sources?

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Guys you all answered one of my questions - yes the product works as advertised.

I pm-Ed a few of you and basically my second question is advice on how to hook up to my natural gas. My meter is about 100' from where I put my generator (protected under my carport). One thought would be to tap into the meter and run pipe (40 ft) out of site and buy a 60' temp hose to the generator. I thought about tapping into the gas pipe in the attic but it looks like 1/2" on that side supplying the hot water heater. That option would be longer than 100 ft so I'm leaning toward plan a.

I'm enlisting a gas expert soon but looking to the folks who have done this and may have a similar challenge.

By the way my generator is 5000 w. thanks for your feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    My NG piping is 1/2", I have 20' of 3/4" hose between the house and the genny. NG is very low pressure, it's the volume you need and the hose acts as a reservoir. BTW, I ran my machine for nearly 50 hours and my gas bill was less than $15.00 more than normal.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Thanks. I'm not worried about using more fuel if I switch to nat gas, just want to make sure I'm still getting my 5000 watts (or whatever the generator is rated for). I've been looking at the kits from www.propane-generators.com , any other good sources?

http://www.propanecarbs.com/

I purchased the conversion kit from these guys, but got my 1/2" fuel hose and quick connect ( just like the one in the video) from propane-generators.com. Propanecarbs was slightly cheaper. Here in the Ponchatoula area, we lost power a week before the hurricane during a thunderstorm. I set mine up and ran it for about 3 hours. It was good test for the 2 days that would be necessary within a week. My neighbor, who had purchased a sweet Honda generator after Katrina, didn't run the gasoline out of his and it wouldn't start. Fortunately for him, that also was a good test before the hurricane because it gave him time to pay someone $145 to get it running just in time for Isaac. Now, all of my neighbors who run portables, are asking for info on converting theirs. I am VERY pleased with the performance of mine.

Top Bottom